Theming - What if?

samson

I'm not much of one for putting theming above money spent for the ride but since this is just a what if question and since I think there may be some value in theming how would you theme PKI if you were turned loose on the park and could make any changes you wanted to? Would you stay with the current movie theming, would you bring back attention to HB, or do something complethley different?

If I could do anything? With money no object? Well, PKI is a fantastic park, and I think they are doing great things. But if it were a perfect world and I had my say... then here's what I would do:

- Gut the main entrance and rebuild it to make it more reminiscent of Paramount Studios. PKI has one of the most hideous main entrances in the industry. You have to go through that afwul building to see that gorgeous International Street.

- Paramount Theatre would get a REAL show. None of this 2-member cast, pre-recorded junk.

- Action Zone rides would recieve a repaint every two years.

- Face Off would be re-located behind Delirium.

- Congo Falls would be re-located to the pond in Rivertown.

- A B&M hyper/speedcoaster would be installed to run the front of the park... from Face/Off's current location on down through the wooded area that lies between the parking lot and Timberwolf.

- Timberwolf Ampitheatre would be gutted and rebuilt as a mega stunt show amphitheatre that could also double as a concert venue.

- Son of Beast would have it's rose bowl yanked out and replaced with an out-and-back section of air hills. 2nd helix would remain, but would receive a tunnel.

- Adventure Express would be re-located to Rivertown.

- Octoberfest would receive a substantial overhaul... losing the Bavarian themeing and expanding Action Zone into it.

- Coney Mall would be completely overhauled and given a more carnival or festive theme. Significant smaller/flat rides would be added, such as a large spinning teacups ride, a chaos, a whip, a circle swing, a spinning wild mouse, a ferris wheel etc etc etc.

- Action FX Theatre would be scrapped... or relocated to Action Zone.

- Antique cars would be relocated to the Paramount Story garden area.

- Eiffel Tower would be painted bronze.

- Tomb Raider's building would be disguised better.

- A B&M invert would be added to the wooded area around White Water Canyon. It would perform a cobra roll around the railroad trestle bridge.

- WWC would be overhauled and re-themed to something really fun... like the Beverly Hillbillies or such where you are being shot at, etc etc etc.

- The older rides and attractions in HB would be removed or updated, and (with the exception of Scooby) all HB themeing would be changed to Nick. Sorry folks, HB cartoons are no in the minds of today's kid. My neices and nephews have no idea who Hukleberry Hound or Quick Draw McGraw are.

- There would be a daily parade.

- Scooby's Ghoster Coaster would get thrown in the scrap heap.

- A formal sit-down restaraunt would be added to the park.

- Smoking would be limited to few designated areas only.

- The park would install a lo-que system.

- The fountains on International Street would "dance" with the fireworks display. The show would culminate each time with the Eiffel Tower shooting off a small round of fireworks each night.

- Winterfest would return.

- One of the shops on International Street would be re-built as a museum of sorts as a tribute to the park's past. Featuring old park memorabilia and showing footage of the park and rides from years past.

That's all I can think of for now....

Shaggy

I would make additions to the Coney Mall area like a Huss Jump 2. I would add an Intamin hyper and B&M inverted. I would leave Scooby Doo's Ghoster Coaster like it is because it is a good small coaster for those that are not ready for the bigger ones...not a bad coaster either. Repaint Eiffel Tower.

- The older rides and attractions in HB would be removed or updated, and (with the exception of Scooby) all HB themeing would be changed to Nick. Sorry folks, HB cartoons are no in the minds of today's kid. My neices and nephews have no idea who Hukleberry Hound or Quick Draw McGraw are.

- Scooby's Ghoster Coaster would get thrown in the scrap heap.

- A formal sit-down restaraunt would be added to the park.

- Smoking would be limited to few designated areas only.

- The park would install a lo-que system.

- Winterfest would return.

- One of the shops on International Street would be re-built as a museum of sorts as a tribute to the park's past. Featuring old park memorabilia and showing footage of the park and rides from years past.

That's all I can think of for now....

Shaggy

I disagree with you on one thing Quick Draw OR Huckleberry Hound may not be on the minds of young kids but the top popular HB characters which are Scooby Doo,Yogi Bear,The Flintstones,Jetsons are on the minds of youngins.. heck thats why Warner Bros.&Cartoon Network,Sunrise entertainment.. is going all out on Making live-action movies based on those characters and releaseing new toys and DVDs wanna see the new line of HB merch step into a wal-mart or Target.

I agree Winterfest should comeback it was fun when it was at the park.But why get rid of Scoobys ghoster coaster thats my cousins and nephews fav kiddie coaster.

Heres what I would do:

Bring back HBL& Characters add more rides to the popular HB characters

wouldnt allow smoking in the park at all.

Add the old cars to Nick Central and retheme them to Nicktoons toonpike

Bring back winterfest

Have a Spongebob Squarepants Dark ride put in.

Have more Nick characters like Sandy,Squidward,Mr.Krabs, Rugrats all grown up characters,Ahhh real monsters,Ren&Stimpy.

Have a REAL Krusty Krab sitdown restaraunt.

Add the Addams Family Coaster or a Sleepy Hollow darkride place it in Rivertown behind TR:TR and would go all out on theming it.

Add a B&M Coaster in coney mall theme.

I would put in Flying SS would remove green slime zone and put FSS in its place.

Retheme Dick Dasturdlys biplanes to Doras biplanes.

Add a Ahhh real monsters Dark ride

I would add a Angery Beavers Water ride like a mini congo falls but for kids.

would theme Congo Falls better add gorillas I would make it like Jurassic Park the ride at IOA.

- One of the shops on International Street would be re-built as a museum of sorts as a tribute to the park's past.  Featuring old park memorabilia and showing footage of the park and rides from years past.

I really agree with this one. I think the park needs to constantly update to keep the younger ones interested, but I think anyone over 21 likes to think about what they liked about the park when they were younger. I think some retro touches here and there, maybe even some pictures placed through the park would be a nice touch. Maybe near an entrance of a ride there could be a few signs here and there with pictures of what used to be in that spot. I think people would really enjoy that.

I would make the first lift chain on AE enclosed like the second one is. Also I think some fire and water effects could be added to make it more of an Indiana Jones ride. Drop Zone would rotate on ascent. I too would move Congo Falls to rivertown. A Jump2 would be sweet - I think it would be cool if it was put where the Action Theater is now, between the sides of The Racer. I disagree with painting the Eiffel Tower, because its the same color as the one in France. Top Gun would be modified to be a longer ride, and the cars would themed more like an airplane. Like little wings coming out of the sides, and maybe a cockpit that closes over the car. The park would get a Star Trek coaster, but not Borg Assimilator from PKD. To remain a serious competitor in the theme park world, we need a flying coaster, a fourth dimensional coaster and a giga or strata coaster. I think Oktoberfest is underrated, and there would be German music, and the park employees would wear Lederhosen. Boomerang Bay would get a water coaster. I think they could do a little kiddie 4d coaster themed on the Jetsons or something - like Jetsons Jetpack adventure or something.

One biggie is The Vortex. It is desperately underthemed. When it came out they made a big deal that Vortex was a robot that got a hold of you and twisted you and turned you and everything and you couldnt escape his grasp. But if you go there, all it has is a big sign that says "Vortex". I think they could do some kind of futuristic theme on it, and with the station. I definately think that it should get a different paint job, and that some of the track should be redone - like right after the drop and big hill, when you go on that turnaround over LaRosas, the track does a wierd jerk to the right that is out of place. Also there are a few other spots where its going one direction, and then boom, youre going a different direction. I know its not typical of Arrow coasters - look at AE or Runaway Reptar. So it could use some retracking. I guess it doesnt matter though cause im too much of a wuss to ride it regardless.

But I guess thats it. Kings Island is my favorite park of all, but then again, its the only one I ever went to, so I dont really have any comparison. But I live only 2 hrs from SFKK and about 5 hrs from Cedar Point. So I guess I have no excuse. Im a big RCT fan though. But I think that PKI is awesome as it is.

One biggie is The Vortex. It is desperately underthemed. When it came out they made a big deal that Vortex was a robot that got a hold of you and twisted you and turned you and everything and you couldnt escape his grasp.

Speaking of giant robot theming, anyone remember the old Vortex logo--a huge robot hand gripping the track and twisting it. They were way off when it came to the type of coaster in the logo. It looks like a B&M stand-up coaster. How could you make such a glaring mistake like that in a ride's emblem.

There are actually 4 Vortex coasters in the Paramount Parks chain.

-Vortex at PKI.... the original, an Arrow Dynamics Multi-Looper opened in 1987 and designed by Ron Toomer.

-Vortex at Paramounts Canada's Wonderland.... an Arrow Dynamics Suspended coaster opened in 1991 and also designed by Ron Toomer. This coaster layout was duplicated (although tightened) at PKI in 1993 as Top Gun.

-Vortex at Paramount's Great America.... a B&M stand-up coaster also opened in 1991 and designed by Walter Bolliger and Claude Mabillard and Werner Stengel.

-Vortex at Paramount's Carowinds... a B&M stand-up coaster built in 1992 and designed by Walter Bolliger, Claude Mabillard and Werner Stengel. This is a duplicate of the version opened the year prior at PGA.

The original logo of Vortex was the one designed for PKI... then just KI. It's logog was that of a steel giant who's hand was seen twisting the coaster's track. The original logo indeed showed the sit-down coaster cars. However, as the other coasters were built at the other parks, the logo was tweaked to be reminiscent of their version.... PGA and PCow showed a stand up coaster train, while PCW showed a suspended train.

Over the years, the parks have shared the logo for press, promotional and merchandise purposes. Unfortunately this has led to some inaccuracies. The varying logo has showed up on t-shirts or advertisements at a park with a differing train type. It is simply an oversight, a detail not noticed by the untrained eye.

FYI.... did you know that during it's first several years of operation Vortex at PKI had it's logo painted on the ground every few feet on Coney Mall ala The Beast footprints? It is one of a number of rides at KI that has had it's logo painted on the asphalt in order to lead guests to the attraction's line.

Other rides at KI that have done this over the years.... Beast, Beastie, Outer Limits, Top Gun, Adventure Express, and Flight Commander.

Shaggy

Have you seen the park map recently? It is comical. Everything is way off as far as scale, and the track is wrong there as well. Vortex track is a large tubular steel pipe with little ribs coming off of it that support tubular running rails. I guess its the type of track S&S Arrow always uses, but I dont know. But as far as the logo not being accurate - just compare the people on drop zone on the park map to the people on Vortex. In fact one person on drop zone would be like as tall as Vortex. The map is way off!

Is runaway reptar a vekoma coaster? Are AE, Vortex and Wild Thornberries the only S&S Arrow Rides there? Im still new at all this coaster stuff. Ive been playing RCT for about two years, but went to a Theme Park (PKI) for the first time a month ago. I liked it so much i bought a 2005 gold pass, which is good for the rest of this year too. But I still cant get up the nerve to ride Vortex or SOB. How can you guys tell the maker of a coaster by looking at them? Is it track type, or the supports or what?

One thing I do know - everybody keeps saying that Delirium is a Huss Gaint Frisbee, but its not. Its a Huss Frisbee XL. It is between the Frisbee and Gaint Frisbee in height, has outward facing seats like Giant Frisbee, but not as many, and swings 130 degrees, where the Giant Frisbee is only 120 degrees, and the regular frisbee is 90 degrees. Go to hussrides.com and check it out. It even has a pic of PKI Delirium on the Frisbee XL page.

The frisbee thing is new. They changed the name

You can tell by track type. Heres a quick rundown

Sob-pki and RCCA

Top Gun- Arrow Dynamics(S&S arrow)

Face/off -vekoma

Adventure Express-Arrow Dynamics

Racer-PTC

Vortex-Arrow Dynamics

Beast-PKI and PTC

Reptar Vekoma

Beastie PTC

Taxi Jam-Miler Coaster, Inc.

Flight of Fear Premier

Italian Job Premier

Scooby- Caripro(Out of Biz I believe)

King Cobra Togo

Demon Arrow

Barvarian Beetle SDC

Bat Arrow.

You can tell who makes rides by the cars, tracks, and supports usually. White Water Canyon, Drop Zone, and Congo Falls are made by Intamin. Delirium is a Huss Giant Frisbee. Sure the Frisbee XL swings at a steeper angle, but not as high. Also Tomb Raider is a Giant Top Spin. I'm not sure if Arrow created Wild Thornberries, they may have.

The former KMLF was an Arrow flume built in 1968 for Cincinnati Coney Island. It was re-furbished by O.D. Hopkins.

Oh and Racer, Beast and Beastie are not PTC coasters. The trains are PTC trains, however Racer and Beastie are John Allen designs built by King's Island. Beast was designed by Al Collins and was also built in-house by the King's Island construction team led by Charlie Dinn.

Shaggy

Along with what Shaggy had to contribute:

-International Street would change to Hollywood Boulevard to fit the new movie theme of the park

-Top Gun would receive new and improved themeing, a nice paint job, and S&S Arrow would be hired to add new floorless trains

-Along with the re-location, Adventure Express would have a major themeing upgrapde, and S&S Arrow would be contracted to make some minor adjustments to a few areas of track.

-Vortex would also have its track worked on by S&S Arrow, along with new open-body trains by Vekoma.

-Racer would have a major track overhaul

-Beast would be reinforced and re-tracked so that absolutely no trims are necessary

-Tomb Raider would be even more extensively themed, and the special effects would be kept in perfect condition

-A new themed area by Flight of Fear would be opened up, maybe with a theme like "special effects testing ground" or something like that. A sort of Area 51 for the amusement industry.