County officials: Amusement park must come up with tax payment plan or face public auction in September

This park has been struggling for years. As sad as it is to see parks close, you have to wonder when is enough enough? The park has had countless people volunteer to try and right the ship (even having people volunteer and paint the Blue Streak). But there comes a point where if people still aren`t coming, and the debt continues to grow, then something has to be done.

Don`t get me wrong, I do not want to see the park go anywhere. But they have had troubles for years now.

• Like 1

The beginning of the end was many years ago for CLP.

The weather in the CLP area (NW PA) the past 2 summers has been fantastic for outdoor activities (above average temps, below average rainfall). If the park cannot generate enough interest for people to visit with that type of weather, when can they?

Unless a miracle comes through, this will probably be the final nail.

• Like 1

Sad news. This would mean that both of Mrs. Gator's childhood home parks would be gone (the other being Idora). We've been hitting a different park in PA every year for the past several years... if Conneaut is open again this summer, it's time for us to go there this year.

"There's not much amusement in the closing of an amusement park." - Tin Man, The Wiz

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a bummer. Somewhere beneath the unease about the state of almost everything around the park, I thought Conneaut had a lot of potential to be charming. The infrastructure is definitely there for it to be a very nice little local park; it just hasn't been maintained in many years.

I'd wonder what the chances are someone else would step in and buy the park, but I'm very doubtful. Parques Reunidos would be my first guess if I had to make one, but I way sooner expect them to buy the Blue Streak train and the Tumble Bug for parts for rides at Kennywood--assuming, of course, that either of those rides have parts in better condition than Kennywood's rides' parts. It's a shame!

• Like 1

So sad to hear this. It's a nice little park. I was hoping to maybe go there again this summer, I'm glad I got to go last year for the first (and now possibly only) time. Hopefully someone willing to operate the park steps in and buys all 40 parcels. If this closes, then both of Mrs. Gator's childhood home parks will be history (the other being Idora Park).

• Like 3

Very sad! It looks like it will be sold by auction in September...wondering if it'll operate this summer? I hope so, I'd like to visit it with Gator and the Gator family if we can before it closes!

I broke the news to the Gatorettes last night. I started by saying "Conneaut Lake", paused until they were both looking at me, and told them. GatorGirl got sad and said, "That's what I thought you were going to say," and Mrs. Gator said, "But we were supposed to go there with Chris!" Hopefully they do operate this summer. We'll hold out hope! Blue Streak was running great last year.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...