What do you miss from Paramount?

SonofBaconator

I certainly miss the themes. I have went every year since I was a kid until 4 years ago. I'll miss the Nick section. My son loves Spongebob, I'd give anything for Paramount own it again just so he could see his favorite characters from Nick. The characters added a great feel to the park. I know they have peanut characters now but what younger kids really know Snoopy? I'll be going May 30th for the first time in 4 years. I'm so excited to see how the park is doing.

Does anyone remember the animated lazer show in the Paramount Theater? It was like a cartoon done with lazers and this character was going around trying to find missing stars from the Paramount logo. They had theme music from various Paramount movies too. I remember loving this when I was a kid. I thought it was so cool!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My First visit was in 2001/2002.(Cant remember which year) It was Fear Fest and it was amazing, the themes make each attraction feel like it's own, I was 16 years old and SOB was amazing, I didn't feel like the park needed anything. Now there is no real themes except what they could leave up from the paramount days and it feels like they Need to add Ride after ride because the park can feel really stale after you have been there a few times in a year. So long story short the themes and the way Fear Fest was done it just had a lot more to offer at least to me.

Also does anyone remember the name off the haunt next to the Entrance to X-Base and the fence where you had to crawl I loved that there was part of the floor that would light up to reveal a face, It would scare my brother to death...lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The biggest request we get is missing the trams to ride you back to your car at night. also when paramount sold the campgroud to great wolf lodge, its been 9 years and its always intersting hearing how many people want that campground back.

• Like 2

1993. The Mirth Mobile. An AMC Pacer in baby blue. And a new coaster. A new owner for Kings Island--a movie studio! A bright and shining future Can it get any better?

It got much better in 2000 with the debut of the worlds tallest, fastest, only looping wooden roller coaster which would go on to rule the KI skyline for years to come.....Wait.....Would someone mind telling me where to find a roller coaster called Son of Beast?.... Oh that was 2009 huh?....

As a kid I loved going to Kings Island when Paramount owned the park. The Paramount theme music, theme of the rides, and the souvenirs. As a big sports fanatic, I can remember going to that Sports Gift shop every time, and I still have a few items from that store today. I live an hour from CP and at the time I was more excited to make my once a year trip to Kings Island rather than go to CP. The rides today do not have the same appeal to me as they did back when Paramount operated the park. But yet again I cannot complain with what Cedar Fair did by upgrading the park with newer attractions. We all know that Paramount would never have built anything to the extent of Diamondback and Banshee.

• Like 2

I miss Jeff and Maureen...What a great pair!!!!

I also miss all of the summer events...there was something new just about every weekend.

I miss the parades and their new ride promotions. (Banshee was a the perfect example of how paramount announced new rides)

The acknowledgement that seasons pass holders are special to the park.

What I don't miss....all of the wide concrete paths

The bizarre placement of BLSC with its destruction of the most beautiful area of the park.

The lack of upkeep of the special effects.

The return of a scheduled Winterfest....scheduled and 20 bucks was not good.

What I don't miss about the early CF years...the immediate demotion of season pass holders.

The immediate cancellation of Winterfest with the reason that "it wasn't profitable".

It looks like things are starting to turn around now....Yay!

• Like 4

I miss Kings Island being a flagship park, i miss the theming and ride names as well... One thing i liked about paramount compared to Cedar Fair ownership was that paramount had balls, they would install unique rides and roller-coasters, things that were new to the amusement park industry. Gold/platinum pass holders got better benefits. Things i didn't like about paramount was they started duplicating rides and roller-coasters, more and more cookie cutter... they didn't maintain the parks or rides and coasters especially their wooden coasters.. With Cedar Fair i do like that they maintain their parks rides and coasters they also care about their guests. I also like now that my platinum pass will get me into Cedar Point. I like the new CEO and the direction he wants to take the chain, making each park its own standout park meaning less cookie cutter and copy cats.. Things i don't like about Cedar Fair ownership is removal of theming that didn't need to be removed because of the paramount ownership rights. I don't like how they bandaid fixed Son of Beast, then ended up giving up on the coaster all together even tho the 2009 complaint was a joke how do you get a head bleed from the ride 2 weeks after ridding it so they close it. Cedar Fair wanted a reason to remove Son of Beast, and wash their hands clean from the 2006 accident.. Which was paramounts fault for not maintaining their rides. I don't like how Cedar Fair recently has been stuck on b&m yes b&m make great rollercoasters but each manufacture makes a different style of ride.. Ride an arrow or intanim hyper then ride Diamondback and tell me the difference. I like having a variety lineup of rollercoasters and manufactures.. Other than that Kings Island has a bright future in the hands of Matt ouimet and the ki management.. Hopefully Matt will bring more things to the table from his tenure in Disney...

• Like 1

1. Kings Island was NOT the flagship park of Paramount Parks.

2. What's innovative about Backlot Stunt Coaster, Invertigo, and Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle?

3. Paramount did not do most of what you said, such as installing "cookie cutter rides." It is more VIACOM to blame.

4. The 2009 incident was far from a joke. It was reported the woman was in intensive care during that time period from her ride to the report. Kings Island did the correct thing by closing down the ride, evaluating ALL possibilities, and finally deciding to remove the ride from the park. Cedar Fair does not want to throw away a multi-million dollar attraction without finding a solution.

5. Just because there is a difference between manufacturers' ride experience does not make one superior to the other. Every manufacturer brings a different thing to the table. Intamin provides more out of control rides, but their reliability greatly suffers from it. B&M is safe and reliable but brings slightly less intense--but still extremely fun and thrilling--rides to the table.

I really miss the kick @$$ theming on Top Gun, Son of Beast scaring my 10 year old self, Giant Titanic poster,Happy Days Diner, SpongeBob, Nick, Scooby Doo, and the park not being so bland. Now I just come to Kings Island to ride Roller Coasters and pretty much nothing else. Paramount just brought a magic that Cedar Fair can't. My Uncle said it best when we were looking at some old photos of us at Paramount's Kings Island; "Now that's when Kings Island was Kings Island." Cedar Fair has nice parks, just a little bland. Kings Island seemed to be a magic filled mansion when it was under Paramount. And gone is the competition between Paramount and Cedar Fair to push and make their parks better. Kings Island might as well be called "Cedar Point South" now because that's what it's slowly becoming. :unsure: (I'm not saying that I don't like that, I'm saying I rather still have "where the magic of movies meets the thrills of a lifetime.")

• Like 1

I miss the following:

• The PR department (Jeff and Maureen) they were the best!
  • Winterfest
  • Fearfest
  • Theming of rides
  • Star Trek
  • The yesteryear of Season Pass perks
  • Scooby Doo
  • The special events they had
  • Fourth of July fireworks (Cedar Fair doesn't even compare)
  • Most importantly to me anyways there was no FASTPASS!!!
  • Like 2

1. Kings Island was NOT the flagship park of Paramount Parks.

2. What's innovative about Backlot Stunt Coaster, Invertigo, and Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle?

3. Paramount did not do most of what you said, such as installing "cookie cutter rides." It is more VIACOM to blame.

4. The 2009 incident was far from a joke. It was reported the woman was in intensive care during that time period from her ride to the report. Kings Island did the correct thing by closing down the ride, evaluating ALL possibilities, and finally deciding to remove the ride from the park. Cedar Fair does not want to throw away a multi-million dollar attraction without finding a solution.

5. Just because there is a difference between manufacturers' ride experience does not make one superior to the other. Every manufacturer brings a different thing to the table. Intamin provides more out of control rides, but their reliability greatly suffers from it. B&M is safe and reliable but brings slightly less intense--but still extremely fun and thrilling--rides to the table.

Kings Island was paramounts flagship park http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramount_Parks.. Paramount did have innovative rides, Flight of Fear was the first coaster to use LIM launch, king cobra was the first standup coaster, the crypt was the first giant top spin, Son of Beast was the first hyper and looping wooden coaster. The 2009 incident was a joke your telling me it would take 2 weeks for the victim or anyone in the victims family to report the accident.. I bet she had a freak incident and once she got the medical bills she didnt want to cover them, they tested the ride and it away functioning properly.. I did not compare manufactures and which one was better all i said was i like a variety of coaster manufacturers. I like the fact that different manufactures bring different things to the table it makes the coasters more unique rather than having a bunch of coasters from one manufacture. If all the steel coasters in Kings Island where from b&m you could definitly tell that the ride experience is much like the other B&M's in the park. B&m elements all feel the same just about. Same for intanim

When CBS sold Paramount Parks, the corporate headquarters was in Charlotte; the flagship park was Paramount's Carowinds. This was noted many times over the years.

Son of Beast closed because Kings Island's General Manager was not happy with the ride experience. That the closure may have followed any particular incident does not mean that incident caused the closure.

Cedar Fair had an opportunity to do due diligence before purchasing Paramount Parks. When the 2006 Son of Beast incident occurred, Cedar Fair owned, operated and maintained Kings Island. Paramount Parks was in fact merged into Cedar Fair. Cedar Fair and its agents, employees and associates had full power and authority to operate, or not operate, Son of Beast. CBS was well and truly out of the picture.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...