If New Age Rides Take Over...

gabelogan99

Is anyone else concerned that the newest attractions at PKI are focusing on these high tech rides? Don't get me wrong, I like the "outside of the box" concept, but think about the box that has been there for so long and now it's being disturbed and it is fading slowly. Phantom Theater was only phase one. (I had to fit that in there somehow.) After they run out of little rides to take out, are the major coasters on the chopping block? Just to compete with Cedar Point? Let me know if you think my concerns are legitimate or not.

I wasn't personally extremely thrilled when I heard about the new stunt track because I'm thinking "Been there, done that" because I've been on the one in Disney World. (EPCOT)

But that`s the thing. Relatively few people have made a trip down to Disney World and waited in the long, long lines for Test Track at Epcot. I for one didn`t find that ride as thrilling as Mission Space.

PKI is bringing a unique, highly themed ride to the seasonal theme park market. I do dislike how lately they have been removing rides to install new ones, but I have heard that the decision to remove several of the last rides have been related to maintenance issues.

I don't understand why people are saying "been there, done that" about Italian Job. This ride is nothing like Test Track at Epcot....it is a totally different type of ride. Epcot's Test track is more like a dark ride with one high speed section. Italian Job: Stunt Track is a heavily themed rollercoaster (read that again ROLLERCOASTER)......I don't understand why people are making a comparision......that and I don't understand why they are complaining we are getting a coaster, something that everyone has been asking for for years.

• Like 1

Also, Paramount's Kings Island is not even in the same league as Cedar Point. PKI is a family theme park. Cedar Point is a thrill park. Kings Island's attendance is higher, but Cedar Point's lines are longer. The reason for that being that more young adults/ parentless-adults go to Cedar Point. When I was there the line for Millenium Force was an hour, but the line for their kiddie coasters was a walk on. See the comparison?

• Like 1

Ok it's time to stop comparing IJST with Test Track at Epcot. For one the only reason you guys are thinking they're remotely the same is because of the word they have in common. Test track is not a coaster.

People on here act like Antique Cars were awesome. If you wanna have the experience again, hop in a car and drive through some woods at a very low rate of speed. There ya have it. King Cobra was awesome; but Delirium is better; and Tomb Raider is much better than the flume; there were two anyways.

By the way, all rides are "high tech."

Just to compete with Cedar Point?  Let me know if you think my concerns are legitimate or not.

We aren't trying to compete with Cedar Point, and have made that aware to the general public in times past. Plus it doesnt take an idiot to figure out that we arent trying to compete with them.

Kings Island's attendance is higher

No its not. If you're referring to this year then i dont know how you make such a claim considering the season isnt over yet.

People on here act like Antique Cars were awesome. If you wanna have the experience again, hop in a car and drive through some woods at a very low rate of speed. There ya have it.

Well put! biggrin.gif I dont know why people are getting all upset about losing the tiques to IJSS. There is a similar ride in HB.

Although trying to compete with Cedar Point or SFMM would be futile, I think we should get some new extreme rides like a flying coaster or 4d coaster and a jump2. Well never bet to CPs point though - they have like three or four hypercoasters, a stratocoaster and a bunch of others. But we have the longest woodie, the second longest woodie, the tallest, fastest and only looping woodie. But thats about it. But PKI is fun - its not the type of park that attracts people from Russia to come all the way out to visit, but its just a fun family park. And they should keep it that way, but maybe add some more extreme rides, and a few flat rides to replace the ones they lost.

Well IMO the rides that they are taking out are the ones that have been there since either the very beginning or mid to late 80's. As far as the new high tech rides, I think PKI likes to have prototype rides. After all, they were the very first park to have a suspended coaster (The Bat) and had America's first stand up coaster. Plus being owned by Paramount of course the new rides are going to be new and movie themed.

And I knew Phantom Theater was going to be changing in 2002. That was the pattern with that ride from the beginning. Every 10 years, they changed it. It opened originally as the Enchanted Voyage, in '82, it became Smurfs Enchanted Voyage, '92 it was Phantom Theater and so on.

I miss some of the old rides that have been removed, but the replacements are always kick butt.

I know I'm going to miss the Tiques, but that ride shook you to death anyways.

"We know the cars will be back."

Actually, we don't. It's just speculation at this point.

"I miss some of the old rides that have been removed, but the replacements are always kick butt."

Actually, this is far from the truth. Only recently in the last few years have they been replacing rides. There were many years where they got rid of a lot of flats and repaced them with nothing.

• Like 1

Paramount hasn't always "replaced rides" on the exact same spot, but I'm pretty sure they've added more rides than they've removed since they've been in charge. They only rides I can remember being removed *by* Paramount without a ride replacement on the exact spot were huge maintenance problems (Skylab, Flight Commander).

Think about all the things that have been added though...

1993- Top Gun- arguably the best suspended coaster anywhere

1994- Action FX Theatre- Fantastic people eater with above avg. films

1995- Nick Splat City- Newly themed area for kids

1996- Flight of Fear- first LIM-launched/Mad Cobra coaster

1997- Waterworks doubles in size

1998- Scooby's Ghoster Coaster- Top Gun for the little ones + two new kiddies rides in HB expansion

1999- Drop Zone- tallest gyro drop in the world

- Face/Off- umm PKI's only shuttle coaster wink.gif

2000- Son of Beast- tallest, fastest, only looping woodie

2001- Nick Splat City expands to Nick Central- Part of the Best Kids Area in the World including Runaway Reptar and retheming KMLF to WTRA

2002- Tomb Raider: The Ride- possibly the most unique and best dark ride in a seasonal park (replaced KCKC)

2003- Delirium- one of the best non-coaster rides anywhere (replaced King Cobra)

- Scooby Doo and the Haunted Mansion- one of the best and most popular family dark rides at a seasonal park (replaced Phantom Theatre).

2004- Waterworks renovated into Boomerang Bay, a runner-up of the Amusement Today list of Best Waterparks

I think PKI replaced all the rides with something 10x better and popular and I'd say they added plenty of rides to help ease the pain of everyone sad about losing Flight Commander and Skylab. wink.gif

I'm sure a lot of people would rather have Raptor, Mantis, Power Tower, Millennium Force, Wicked Twister, and Dragster instead, but I think PKI is made up of a lot of the little things that seem to be missing at CP. I'm just glad both are so close to home and I wouldn't have it any other way- hooray for competition and both parks *winning*. biggrin.gif

+Danny

• 2 weeks later...
- Scooby Doo and the Haunted Mansion- one of the best and most popular family dark rides at a seasonal park (replaced Phantom Theatre).

My problem with Scooby Doo and the Haunted Mansion is how "flat" it looks. There are very few 3D scenes... everything looks like cardboard cutouts that you shoot at... not very imaginative. If they had put more money into it and made the environment look more 3D, it would be far more interesting. I love Scooby, but I think they could have made it far better...

To be honest peeps I really wouldnt be surprised if Tiques did make another appearance at PKI. I know that the park hasn't made any announcements about it, and I know that some of the know-it-all employees on here will say that they know it isn't going to happen, but I dunno..I think it might just make another appearance.

Steve

By the way all PKI employees are not full of crap. Some of them actually do know what they are talking about. Sparky and Drew to name 2.

"1993- Top Gun- arguably the best suspended coaster anywhere"

No way. Big Bad Wolf at BGW is a lot better.

"I obviously wasn't talking about this season, but the past few season KI's attendance has been higher, read between the lines."

Actually, CP has edged out PKI in attendance(not by much) for at least the past few years. But, the interesting thing about the attendance is PKI is keeping up with CP without having to install a new coaster every year or every other year.

And, I'm not talking about replacing ride at the exact same spot either. When Paramount first took over, many flats were just simply removed. Nothing replaced them.

• 11 years later...