Outer Hanks

JAHill

I'm not one to always post legitimately here in regard to the park. However, a recent image posted by TOPGUN1993 inspired me to post this. I want to bring attention to be one of the more under-appreciated pieces of Kings Island history; the Outer Hanks building.

34sr0bm.jpg

Bask in its glory.

It's just kind of "there", y'know? Sitting in the middle of the park, not grabbing much attention from anyone. Given its location directly in front of the "entryway" to the largest area in the park, I understand why this is true.

I dunno, its theme and detail seems, to me at least, unique. I feel it's a building that more people should come to appreciate. It's utilized for a distinct purpose, but if you can look beyond that, there's some really great stuff.

It's situated in a unique location, right on a pond. Not many buildings in the park can say that. On top of that, its theme is both fitting and well-placed. The food is actually rather decent, too. The new taco stand has become my favorite public food location.

104jh2t.jpg

Stuff's good.

I understand that this is kind of an odd post, but what do you guys think?

• Like 6

It's situated in a unique location, right on a pond. Not many buildings in the park can say that. On top of that, its theme is both fitting and well-placed.

It is not well placed at all. A Mexican restaurant in a Germany-esque area hardly compliments its surroundings.

Aside from that, I've heard Hank's has the best food and pricing in the park. I'm not one for Mexican food, so I couldn't give my personal experiences. The seating area out back could use some general and aesthetic improvements, though.

• Like 1

When the park first opened, it was the Bier Garden, where they served German food and beer in the back patio area, which as long since gone. It also had a sea theme as if it was on the dock at the pier on the coast. I would love to see the park restore the German theme as it used to be. Being I am a German/American, it would be really nice. If you remember the Black Forest German restaurant down on Reading Road, south of Mason, it served good German food and beer.

KIfan73, Outer Hanks main dining area is still open to the weather. It does have sun shading devices that may not be the best to keep out the rain, or keep the hot humid summer heat away. When it was renovated from the German Beer Garden to Bubba Gump, the main renovation was just to the facade and interior. No alterations were really made to the dining area. When it transitioned from Bubba Gump to Outer Hanks (and even the transition to a taco stand), not much really changed with the facade or theme. It still seems odd to have a coastal themed building serving tacos. Just doens`t fit the architecture.

Photo #16 - Oktoberfest Gardens remodel into Bubba Gumps Shrimp Shack

oa6pg9.jpg

KIfan73, Outer Hanks main dining area is still open to the weather. It does have sun shading devices that may not be the best to keep out the rain, or keep the hot humid summer heat away. When it was renovated from the German Beer Garden to Bubba Gump, the main renovation was just to the facade and interior. No alterations were really made to the dining area. When it transitioned from Bubba Gump to Outer Hanks (and even the transition to a taco stand), not much really changed with the facade or theme. It still seems odd to have a coastal themed building serving tacos. Just doens`t fit the architecture.

I was mainly wondering about the area where you order your food. It looks like, in the pic above, that there's a lot of "open" areas in the building that seems like are closed in now...

I personally don't think shrimp is food, but otherwise I think it had a nice theme for a waterside restaurant.(when it was seafood related)

Even if the building is officially in Oktoberfest, it really doesn't feel like it is. Almost like it is in a separate mini-area with Adventure Express and Slingshot to the restrooms near the Coney Mall entrance.

Now I just think of Hanks as a place with food that I really like, and a good location for the eating area.

• Like 1

I was mainly wondering about the area where you order your food. It looks like, in the pic above, that there's a lot of "open" areas in the building that seems like are closed in now...

Yes, they did enclose the ordering area when the remodeled it into the Bubba Gump Shrimp Shack. There is no air conditioned, indoor seating, however.

beastfan26, I like the Outer Hanks appreciation post! It's a refreshing change from the usual batch of cliched/complainy/flamey off-season topics. It'd be cool to hear other members' thoughts on other attractions in a similar format.

Outer Hanks is probably my favorite food location in the park. Personally, I liked it a little better (both themewise and tastewise) when it had seafood and those ridiculously tasty fries, but the burritos are still really good. It's one of the few places in the park that's charming without being too well known. I love sitting in the covered area to watch Viking Fury while eating lunch. It's also one of the few places I remember from when I was little that hasn't changed much over the years. (The only thing that comes to mind is the removal of the nearby RC boat things.)

Well, the building has already lost most of its traces to German theming. Even the Festhaus has lost most of its theming. Only the exterior facade at the entrance shows any real resemblance to German architectural motifs. As Interpreter has stated, Oktoberfest as an area at Kings Island is all but dead. Which is sad, given the Cincinnati areas rich German immigrant heritage.

• Like 3

And Coney Potato Works allegedly serves the same fries as Rivertown Potato Works, yet I have heard on numerous accounts that RPW's are far better than CPW's. Jukebox's fries might not be the same as Hank's.

Let me be the first to say, as someone who loves RPW, the one time I ate at Coney Potato Works, I enjoyed it a lot better. Then again, I really like Coney Mall as an area and find it more enjoyable a place to sit and relax.

• Like 1