Swarm: last two rows will be turned backwards.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151395356720867&set=a.377923300866.202576.27217550866&type=1&theater

http://www.thorpepark.com/rides/the-swarm.aspx

when you click on the second link if it takes you to the ride page click The Swarm.

Kind of an interesting concept,

excited to see if this leads to anything?

Face the fear head on, or brave it backwards on the last two rows… do you dare take on THE SWARM?

• Like 3

That seems like a great addition to the ride. The only problem would be people waiting in line for ever for just the last two rows. In my opinion, make one train completely backward and make the station like Firehawk where there's two stations: a station for the forward seated train, and one for the backward seated train.

• Like 1

An easy way to spice up an existing attraction in lieu of adding a new one. But a lot of people enjoy things like this. Racer did it so effectively that many people came to imagine that that's how it was supposed to operate. According to Screamscape, Six Flags Great America toyed with turning the original Batman - The Ride backwards for employee testing last year. I can't imagine the result of that being anything except WAY too intense for the general public, but we shall see if it progresses...

That seems like a great addition to the ride. The only problem would be people waiting in line for ever for just the last two rows. In my opinion, make one train completely backward and make the station like Firehawk where there's two stations: a station for the forward seated train, and one for the backward seated train.

You just gave me a great idea for Firehawk,going up that lift hill feet first! WoW! Never going to happen,but it would be cool! I remember hearing many people upset that The Racer was turned back forward,goodyellowcorn182 is right,I think many people thought one Racer was meant to run backwards.

• Like 2

I always loved the backwards racer, felt like you were getting 2 sepearte roller coasters, I guess in reality you were, today you get to either turn left or turn right at the outreaches, otherwise the ride experience is the same (from a layout perspective, obviously track/car conditions can and do vary from side to side). the backwards racer lead to an immediate re-ride on the other side every time I went to the park. Now, its a ride once unless the line is really short, even if they have both sides up and running that day.

As I understand it, state laws prohibit them from running it backwards now adays, but that is either 1) a stupid rule as they had numerous rules of real life experience that showed the ride to be safe running different from its original form and something that should have been grandfathered in or 2) something you would think would be easy enough to "re-engineer" the layout with a backwards facing design on one side.

Of course, I'm not sure if the ride is popular enough bother staffing both sides of the coaster as you'd have to for a combo forward/backwards ride on most days. Perhaps KI could have taken the route of option 2 above, but figured it wasn't worth the time and investment. or perhaps, they're keeping it in their backpocket as something to give the ride new life again down the road. I would love to see The Racers get the TLC is needed for some time with a fresh paint job, retracking, etc...

I always loved the backwards racer, felt like you were getting 2 sepearte roller coasters, I guess in reality you were, today you get to either turn left or turn right at the outreaches, otherwise the ride experience is the same (from a layout perspective, obviously track/car conditions can and do vary from side to side). the backwards racer lead to an immediate re-ride on the other side every time I went to the park. Now, its a ride once unless the line is really short, even if they have both sides up and running that day.

As I understand it, state laws prohibit them from running it backwards now adays, but that is either 1) a stupid rule as they had numerous rules of real life experience that showed the ride to be safe running different from its original form and something that should have been grandfathered in or 2) something you would think would be easy enough to "re-engineer" the layout with a backwards facing design on one side.

Of course, I'm not sure if the ride is popular enough bother staffing both sides of the coaster as you'd have to for a combo forward/backwards ride on most days. Perhaps KI could have taken the route of option 2 above, but figured it wasn't worth the time and investment. or perhaps, they're keeping it in their backpocket as something to give the ride new life again down the road. I would love to see The Racers get the TLC is needed for some time with a fresh paint job, retracking, etc...

I believe that if KI got The Racer to go backwards again, one of the trains on ol' Gemini will go backwards as well....

S.O.B. just trying to sound realistic

• Like 2

I don't see Racer going backwards any time soon. And if it does, some Racer lovers are going to be very, very upset. To put it mildly.

A lot of nostalgia would have to be junked for that to happen. More than most realize.

This Racer lover was very,very upset the day I seen both trains running forward again; to put it mildly!

• 4 months later...