Some 1973 KI Photos

Sergeant Pepper

A6v6Zz6.jpg

I like how International Street is actually a street. Why change what works? Both Paramount and Cedar Fair are guilty of taking out or changing parts of that park that didn't need change or de-themeing.

Depending on where you live, your street may be black top ashpalt, or it may be concrete, or it may be brick, or it may be gravel, or it may just be dirt; not all streets look the same. while that picture is quite pretty, I imagine if things remained unchanged, people would complain about the lack of shade, how hot the ashphalt gets on a warm July afternoon or perhaps they'd wonder how much money is spent on the upkeep and triming of all those hedges and if it could have been put into a new ride somewhere in the park. I doubt either park modifies any part of their park without the sole intent of improving the experience, functionality, operating costs and/or asthetics of the park experience.

Pictures are great, thanks for sharing the glimpse back in time.

• Like 2

Guest Department47

Sidewalks can create a tripping hazard for distracted guests, plus they make navigating the area more difficult for strollers and wheelchairs. The lack of shade would also cause complaints, as would the lack of almost any seating for LaRosa's. International Street definitely looks pretty in the 1973 photo, but the changes that have been made have been made for good reasons.

• Like 2

I like sculpted bushes far better than trees go as far as aesthetics go. I don't think you can say trees look better than the shrubbery that formerly enshrouded the fountains.

You'll get no argument from me that the shubbery looks better, but IMHO international street is much more functional today than it was in 1973 for various reasons. Its probably also "cheaper" to maintain after factoring in the cost of inflation.

• Like 2

Sidewalks can create a tripping hazard for distracted guests, plus they make navigating the area more difficult for strollers and wheelchairs.

Never heard of Disney having issues with tripping on their streets. Plus, lets have KI fix their parking lot, then we can talk about people tripping inside the park.

Guest Department47

^

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-themepark-injury-lawsuits-033009,0,5046537.story

The Sentinel's review of 477 state and federal lawsuits filed against the region's three big theme-park companies between Jan. 1, 2004, and Dec. 31, 2008, found that 218 cases 46 percent involved people who said they had slipped or tripped and fallen during a visit to a Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando or a Busch Entertainment Corp. theme park or resort. Rides or attractions the heart of the theme-park business accounted for 101 of the cases.

"Given the significant size and scope of our operations and the millions of guests that visit our property each year, it is not unexpected that claims will occasionally be filed against our company," Disney World spokeswoman Kim Prunty said

Same article.

Now obviously you will have the group that accidentally trips and falls, though that does not make it a public issue. We have been using streets and sidewalks for centuries now, if it was such a problem we would in this day and age stopped using the design.

• Like 2

forgot about the saltwater circus..

where did they store those animals in the winter anyway?

I been trying to find that out for awhile but I have yet to see a updated MMIR (Marine Mammal Inventory Report) that includes KI yet from the NMFS, (I need to get another anyway) but judging by the records for KD they may have remained at the park during the winter, not completely sure yet so if anyone knows please share, lol. Only thing I have the dolphins belonged to Marine Animal Productions (same folks who sent out dolphins to KD, CW, Knott's and Hershey among many, many others) and not to the parks.

Guest Department47

"Given the significant size and scope of our operations and the millions of guests that visit our property each year, it is not unexpected that claims will occasionally be filed against our company," Disney World spokeswoman Kim Prunty said

Same article.

Now obviously you will have the group that accidentally trips and falls, though that does not make it a public issue. We have been using streets and sidewalks for centuries now, if it was such a problem we would in this day and age stopped using the design.

Would you rather have a few lawsuits over trips and slips due to sidewalks... or no lawsuits, while ensuring that the area is much more wheelchair and stroller accessible?

Same article.

Would you rather have a few lawsuits over trips and slips due to sidewalks... or no lawsuits, while ensuring that the area is much more wheelchair and stroller accessible?

I'd rather have a park that looks pleasant. Does not matter how many preventative things you add to an establishment, people will always find a way to hurt themselves. Having a simple sidewalk is not a dominant safety concern.

1973 was the second year working at the park as a litter getter and I remember how the park looked back then. Those pictures looked really good and how uncluttered the park was back then. But then again, it was brand new and not developed like it is today. The park has lots of pictures of how the park looked back then in the operations building, along with pictures of how the employees were outfitted that worked in the various areas. I was a young guy of 18 back then and I still had a full head of red hair on my now bald head. Great job on the pictures and look forward to any others that you might have.

• Like 2