A diversion

Guest KingsIslandPR

Guest KingsIslandPR

Taking KI questions Wednesday from 7:00pm to 7:30pm on Twitter (@KingsIslandPR).

Questions such as "Red Racer or Blue Racer" acceptable.

• Like 14

Thanks for the answers, Don!

I'm archiving the questions and answers here, since old tweets can be hard to find. (Even harder when people delete their questions, which at least 2 people have already done.)

Q. Why did you retire from riding The Racer? (ohiocolts)
A. Love the ride! First roller coaster I rode. Will ride again at some point.

Q. Can you share any teasers about new shows, new food, or other additions this season? (myself)
A. Ed Alonzo will be back with a new show. New Peanuts show, legends of rock type show in Festhaus and live band on the Bandstand.
A2. Some more Soak City enhancements, lots of special events being planned.

Q. when are you guys making an new roller coaster ? (@noahharsh1)
A. Down the road.

Q. how many park maps are distributed throughout the year? And how could one obtain old park maps? (@rollercoastinRO)
A. Literally thousands but not as many as before with the launch of the mobile app. Old maps hard to come by.

Q. Do bigger people have any issues fitting on the Diamondback or Skyhawk? I've had issues with coasters at Cedar Point before. (@UnderZenith)
A. It depends on how ones body is proportioned. It varies from ride to ride.

Q. when will details of Coasting for Kids 2013 be finalized? (@jporta2)
A. Mid February to early March. A lot involved in putting the event on at all Cedar Fair parks.

Q. What is favorite ride of all time, past or present? (@tismeansbeans)
A. Favorite is The Racer. First roller coaster I ever rode.

Q. any ride improvements this off season? What do you count as hidden gems at KI. How come there are trim brakes on The Beast?TY (stashua123)
A. Work is done on all rides during the off-season. Racer has has had work done bottom of first drop and other places.
A2. Brakes have been in place on The Beast in the same spots where the trims are since the ride opened. Just different type.

Q. What is the "hot stuff" being cooked up in the marketing dept? (@Nathan90210)
A. Working on series of special events that our guests will be excited about.

Q. what's going on right now during the off season? (@KDFreak925)
A. The off-season exists only for guests. Beehive of activity at the park in all depts. Rides get stripped down and rebuilt.

Q. What is your favorite snack to eat while in the park? (ohiocolts)
A. Fresh-cut thick fries in Rivertown.

Q. What was ever done with the crate that sat by Son of Beast's entrance? (@TheSpeedDemon__)
A. Dismantled.

Q. If anything new is coming for 2014, when will we see teasers and signs for it? (coastergeek101)
A. Sometimes late summer, sometimes winter like Dinosaurs Alive!, and sometimes like WindSeeker not at all.

Q. If we were trying to think of a random meaningless number between 300 and 309, what number would that be? (‏@gahannaman)
A. 308

Q. Any chance of The Racer running backwards again in the future? I miss it :( (@SteveSnowmn)
A. No plans to run one side backwards again, at least for the foreseeable future.

Q. will a winterfest ever come back? (@lynchc20)
A. No plans to bring the event back at this time.

Q. what is new in dinosaur adventure? (@the_chop)
A. There will be some additions for 2013. Details will be announced in the spring.

Q. how early do rides usually start testing before opening day? (@elizwal01)
A. Depends on the ride but some 4-6 weeks before the park opens.

Q. Will any consideration be given to increasing early ride time back to 1 hour? (@ssskellogg)
A. Early rides for Gold and Platinum passholders will be 30 minutes before park opening as they were previously prior to last year.

• Like 11

That last question is purely a budgeting issue. A big cost with any amusement park is the seasonal labor force required to operate the rides. Budgets are always scrutinized. Is the added cost worth the benefits that the park is gaining in added income?

It is especially difficult with the fact that Ohio`s minimum wage went up from $7.70 to $7.85 effective January 1st of this year. That means most of the front line workers are going to get paid more. That money has to come from somewhere, if the park doesn`t raise admission prices or other in park prices to compensate, then the added cost will have a material impact on their bottom line. In other words, they will make less money for profits if they don`t bring in more guests or raise prices to compensate.

Back when I started working at Coney in 2002, I was paid $5.25 an hour, which is a lot less than the $7.85 new hires are now paid. But back then, they also had a bonus program which resulted in me essentially making $6.25 at the end of the season, which definitely would help with retention of employees through the end of the season. Last year, the rides department hired about 150 employees at Coney. We were down to about half that amount because of colleges starting back up and people getting fired or quit by the end of the season! And yes, I will be returning to Coney this summer as a rides manager again, marking my twelfth season working at the park!

• Like 4

Q. Will any consideration be given to increasing early ride time back to 1 hour? (@ssskellogg)
A. Early rides for Gold and Platinum passholders will be 30 minutes before park opening as they were previously prior to last year.

Prior to last year, the park opened on Saturday mornings ONE HOUR early. So if KI only opens for a half hour on Sat mornings.... It's not "as they were previously prior to last year"

I appreciate Don's candor, but I also call it as I see it.

As it pertains to the early ride time...it is a little disappointing that it's being cut back to a half hour. On the other hand, that's still an awfully nice benefit! The only other Cedar Fair park I'm aware of that actually opens rides early all year (before the general public is allowed in) is Cedar Point, and even then you need a Platinum pass to partake. In many instances enjoying the early ride time at Cedar Point is the difference between having a good day and a mediocre day. I don't know that the same can be said for KI.

By way of comparison:

Most Cedar Fair parks - parks open for everyone at once either for much or all of the year, with some exceptions - the ERT offered during Summer hours at Canada's Wonderland or getting in a few minutes early at Worlds of Fun or Carowinds (no rides open until stated open time)

Six Flags parks - just starting to offer early entrance for some (Gold) passholders this year. Magic Mountain lets you in 10 minutes before the general public with a Gold pass. It'll be interesting to see if other SF parks follow suit

Dollywood - offers ERT on Saturdays only; one ride only and for one hour

Busch - outside of the Verbolten ERT offered on weekends this past June I'm not aware of any early ride times for passholders

I still think that Platinum passholders should be getting more in the way of benefits at many Cedar Fair parks, including KI. Cedar Point has Platinum pass ride nights, early entry, parking included and discounts on games, food, etc. that regular passholders don't get. If Kings Island simply offered Platinum passholders four or five one-hour evening ERT sessions on Diamondback and/or The Beast and a 15-20% discount across the board on anything not admissions related I'd be thrilled.

The ERT is a superb benefit...where the vast majority of my DB rides are taken.

Love the parks, love the atmosphere, love the rides, but I abhor waiting in line.

I make it a point to avoid the very crowded days. Last year, an hour was excellent. Hopefully, as they did in years past, will make one or both weekdays an hour ERT.

CP early entry is open to a platinum pass from any CF park or any guest of a CP resort. The usual rides are MF, Raptor, Maverick, ID, Ocean Motion, Midway Carousel, Planet Snoopy, WindSeeker and new for 2013 Gatekeeper. Early entry operates one hour before the park opens every public operating day.

• Like 1

When they were let in... I was down at Carowinds this past year with my Platinum Pass. Visited on a busy Saturday, and was told my pass didn`t work at the admissions gate. Spent thirty plus minutes dealing with guest relations who told me there was a problem with my pass and that I`d have to check with Kings Island to get it fixed. Turns out it was a glitch on Carowinds end, but I was NOT amused, to say the least.

• Like 1