Tomb Raider: The Ride POV Surfaces

bkroz

Posted on Screamscape, this early POV of Tomb Raider: The Ride appears to be include most of the original effects and the spectacular lighting and even the sparker! For those here who never got a chance to ride it and always wondered what the Crypt "used to be," check it out.

• Like 7

It will probably be a LONG time before a ride delivers what TR:TR did in 02 for me.

The queue line; never seen anything so well themed, actually felt like you were on the other side of the world, just for those moments waiting for the unknown.

Walking in and seeing all those rows of seat and restraints, it was just something I've never seen before. If you tried to look around to see what was in the building, heh, good luck with that, they had the lighting perfectly aimed so the only thing you could see were the arms & the gondola. The music so loud you couldn't even hear yourself think. Your heart beat matching the drums on the soundtrack. Once you pulled down your restraint, take a relaxing deep breath, you would look around, then you would see water dripping, just sprinkles of it every second, you would look up to see where its coming ,but can't see the ceiling due to the perfectly placed lighting. Once everyone was buckled in, you knew you were in for a once in a lifetime ride. The 2 blazing sun lights suddenly turn off, now you're in complete darkness and the restraints tighten, you know its about to start.

Well as you watched the video, you can fill in the rest.

You were extremely lucky to ride TR:TR when everything was working. Some of us are extremely lucky.

*will fill more of this in later :P, off to dinner!*

• Like 7

A locked backflip over the top (after the goddess wakes up), a forward flip (down from the icicles - you can see how you fall toward the triangle), a locked flip out from the lava pits that released halfway up, then a final locked flip back around to the start position, from my recollection.

• Like 2

Although I didn't get to ride it when it FIRST opened, I did ride it while the majority of the effects still worked. I remember the part where you are facing the icicles, and the strobes start flshing, and you rotate fast toward the floor was one of my favorite thrill ride experiences ever...it still is. I miss Tomb Raider

• Like 1

I think that it is safe to say some people, like myself, over emphasised the "ride" part of Tomb Raider: The Ride. Thanks for the find, I keep hitting F5 but I can't make that my quick search for his videos sadly.

I remeber waiting about 2.5 hours or so to ride and thought it was worth it but the ride was kinda short.

Paramount marketing would disagree! They referred to the attraction as a "45 minute experience!"

I think that it is safe to say some people, like myself, over emphasised the "ride" part of Tomb Raider: The Ride. Thanks for the find, I keep hitting F5 but I can't make that my quick search for his videos sadly.

It seems like the Giant Top Spin was devised as a clever moving theater that placed riders in thrilling positions more than a pulse-pounding mile-a-minute thrill ride. Didn't it flip one time initially, only having more "thrills" added later? Sure there were harrowing moments, but the cycle itself wasn't that much more acrobatic that what The Crypt ended up with. As Tomb Raider, though, that "simple" cycle was less predictable and more interesting due to the theming.

It seems like the Giant Top Spin was devised as a clever moving theater that placed riders in thrilling positions more than a pulse-pounding mile-a-minute thrill ride. Didn't it flip one time initially, only having more "thrills" added later? Sure there were harrowing moments, but the cycle itself wasn't that much more acrobatic that what The Crypt ended up with. As Tomb Raider, though, that "simple" cycle was less predictable and more interesting due to the theming.

I believe you took my pun too seriously, I mean, when saying Tomb Raider: The Ride, people said the ride part more emphasized than the rest of the ride name.

I remembered riding it couple weeks after it first opened.....freaked me out a bit, lol. My already freaked out at the time aunt was going nuts when it started to flip. But have to admit, I'd take TR:TR over what the Crypt became its final couple years.

I'd take The Crypt's final years over Tomb Raider's.

The Crypt during its final years basically was Tomb Raider: The Ride minus the story, effects, and synchronized music.

Over the top twice, then a flip. Reverse direction, over the top twice, then a flip.

"Welcome back riders. How was your ride?"

"That's it?!"

But to each his own!