qtv

robbieg123

some college friends came up with me to ohio for the weekend, in addition to see the webn fireworks today, and we went to Kings Island saturday...

while waiting in line for drop zone, one of my friends asked me about qtv... i couldn't really ansewr the question thouhg, so i was hoping that someone here knows...

how is qtv received (or displayed)? let me clarify this first...

three of the four of us that went are radio/television majors, the other is architecture-she might help construct rollercoasters someday for us biggrin.gif. what he was wondering is 1)if qtv is delieveered to the park by satellite and then retransmitted to the tvs, 2)if someone is employed by the park (or done automatically) to "switch" between videos, or 3)if it is a preprogrammed package by 'X' company and the park does nothing with it, except display it on the tvs and press the "replay" button on the dvd player. it seems like its a combination of all of the above to me right now.

at the time, i answered the question as being entirely a satellite feed... but then i realized it had park specific features. so now i'm thinking it is almost like a local television station, with music/entertainment content coming from a satellite, then it has "commercial breaks" in which Kings Island throws in their own promotional commercials (the LaRosa's commercial, and animated Italian Job video).

but then, after going to other rides, i see the same things after about an hour and a half; the i love the 90's songs blind melon "no rain" (hadn't heard or seen that msuic video in a long time) and the spice girls "wannabe" [GIVE ME A GUN AND SOME AMMO PLEASE!] and the new(?) kid rock song.

hopefully its clear what i'm asking. i'm running on ~4 hours of sleep, and tend to not make much sense if i don't get my 12 hours in tongue.gif

thanks for your reply ahead of time, and sorry for the longness [its a word now!] of this message smile.gif Rob

"QTV: We're always on, except when we're off."

...and ****, was it crowded yesterday. top gun had a line past where the side entrance used to be for the special effects (height restriction check, the bombs, the tower). still, we did almsot every ride we wanted within a 7 hour time period-minus Face/Off and TR:TR, both of which were closed at the time we were in that area.

Edited by robbieg123

They have their own master control setup. There is actually a department called QTV that handels all of the park's music and qtv. They are all in a tiny room deep within the employee only areas smile.gif They also go around the park shooting b roll all the time using HDTV camera's. Really nice stuff. But someone does actually monitor all the equipment and they have a loop of AT, Beast, HB, and the general park feed. Im in a hurry so ill tell more later.

To my knowledge it is ALL done thru cable's no radiowaves or anything like that. Im not sure if thats how it works or not thats just my best guess from knowing a couple people in QTV and being a TV/Radio major myself. But anyways for every area or even just a ride that has a diffrent music or qtv video there is a whole seperate system its on. But everything run's thru the same room. The QTV guy's area all really nice people being friends with one and having talked with some of the others when they were filming stuff for beast etc. They also do the filming for some of the stage show's like Magic of the Movies LIVE etc. If you ever stumbled on someone wearing the QTV tag under there name tag im sure you could ask them a few questions and they could answer them to the best of their abilitiy which is stillMUCH better then I could.

i'd have to guess that the whole system is set up on basically what is a cable system... ex: Vortex gets channel 5, beast gets channel 6, Son of Beast gets 7... something on those lines. i highly doubt that they'd broadcast a signal, just because theres a chance someone brings a VCR and antenna to the parking lot and tries recording program content (the video which is currently playing in The Beast lines). in addition, to broadcast a signal i think you'd have to register with the fcc to be able to broadcast so a networks' signals don't interfere with Kings Island's signals, and vice versa. most likely cheaper and easier to do/run things as a cable system.

thanks for answering! biggrin.gif

(man! one of those secret jobs in the park to do tv stuff and with HDTV cameras!note to self: in case i don't get a job right out of college, qtv at Kings Island is a possibiltiy biggrin.gif)

Edited by robbieg123

When it was fairly new I recall hearing that there were only four channels, but that could have changed by now... that and the audio and video are seperated (audio not coming from tv tuner.) Tech services "works" on those things probably, this would explain the bad monitor in drop zone's queue.