Son of Beast History Book

Hank

I wonder if anyone has thought of putting together a complete history book of Son of Beast? It would include only facts so that, when a reference was needed, the book would be able to provide accurate answers. As time goes by, lots of things will be forgotten, lots of things will be blown out of proportion, and lots of things will simply be made-up about this one-of-a-kind coaster, so why not get it in print and get it right while all the data is still fresh and attainable?

The book wouldn't have to be very large, but could include a lot of pictures - from initial drawings to finished product to the end of it's existence. Of course, some of the information might be difficult to obtain (info on cost figures, litigation figures, etc.) but as much as could be gotten should be in there. Even pictures of the pieces of track, wood, and nuts/bolts that were purchased after the ride's demolition should be included to make the book complete.

Also, documentation of the accidents/injuries would prevent future stories of "all the deaths" that happened while the ride was operating.

I know that a larger book of the entire park could, and should, be created (thinking of The Bat and all the "deaths" it caused) so that all questioning could be put to rest - BUT.....I think this ride in particular needs its own book. It could be the first in a series?

What do you all think?

• Like 3

Yeah, that's a great idea! I think it would definitely help to cope with the offseason blues.

Some starter facts(world records are for woodies):

First Drop - 214 ft. tall (world record)

Second Drop - 164 ft. tall (world record at the time)

Only A Looping Wooden Coaster Ever (loop was 118 ft. tall)

Speed - 78 mph (world record)

Length - 7,032 ft. (second longest to Beast)

EDIT: Thanks to goodyellowkorn182.

EDIT 2: Thanks to Interpreter.

This is what I meant by accurate. If a definitive resource book contains an error, it can be corrected in future editions. But just writing down any old thing that one remembers and then calling it fact, there's a whole internet full of that crap already in existence!

• Like 1

Guest Department47

^But if a resource book contains an error, even if it's fixed in future editions, then a whole bunch of books will always contain that error. Unlike 1984, you can't replace all previously printed versions with the new, correct information. A website would prove more accessible, more convenient, could contain more information and more media (videos and sound clips, for example), and could cover more subjects in more detail. Like instead of just Son of Beast, you could have a whole website about Kings Island. You could have subsections for Thrill Rides, Family Rides, maybe even Planet Snoopy. You could even have a Timeline, page for Events, and much, much more. And it can all be easily, frequently updated.

• Like 4

Dept 47, you my friend have never been in a class with a medical book that is more than 1 year old. I was in a communication/nuerological disorders class. In the middle of the class the prof stated, 'Dont read chapter 8, all of that info is now not correct."

It happens, books are updated yearly to reflect the newest greatest research and info.

• Like 3

Guest rcfreak339

Great idea, sounds interesting... Maybe that would be something that all of us here at KIC could work together on with help from KI PR?........

If an actual SOB book was made, thast could also be something for KI to put in a souvenir shop for any guests interested in it...... (Just some thoughts)

Kings Island PR will most likely not help anyone on a "book" about Son of Beast....after all they just spent 3 years acting like it didn't exist.

• Like 1

Kings Island PR will most likely not help anyone on a "book" about Son of Beast....after all they just spent 3 years acting like it didn't exist.

I never understood why some feel this way.

Numerous articles were quoted with:

"No decision has been made concerning the ride's future," spokesman Don Helbig said. "It would be inappropriate to speculate on when a decision might be made.

"There's nothing else to talk about."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110423/NEWS01/104240311/What-s-next-Son-Beast-

Why is this not good enough information to the point some believe KI acted like SoB did not exist?

interesting idea, but can't imagine you'd get much support from KI both in information and in the willingness to sell the book w/n the park. W/o support on both of those fronts, its going to be hard to make money. Son of Beast is essentially a failed coaster. Some loved it, some hated it, but which ever side outweighs the other, it was modified quickly into its lifecycle, and eventually shut down, then demolished not much longer. 20 years down the line, as certain parties w/n the park/chain and its management change, you might be able to get more help, I'd imagine a book on The Bat would be of interest and get less resistance from the park. Enough interest to make money, I don't know.

At any rate, a book on the history of Kings Island would likely be a popular sellar, and something you'd like get more help from on PR. I'd be surprised if they didn't allow you to include pieces on SOB, The Bat and any other shut down ride as they're part of the park's history.

• Like 1