Ark Encounter Contract Signed

Times Square Answers in Genesis billboard:

"To all of our intolerant liberal friends: thank God this ark can't be sunk."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2014/12/11/ark-park-faces-off-against-intolerant-liberals-in-times-square/20244575/?fullsite=true

I posted about that LAST YEAR!

See:

See also, re: Answers In Genesis, Ark Parl and Times Square (later also Washington, DC):

http://mobile.wnd.com/2014/12/intolerant-liberals-get-surprise-message-in-times-square/

• Like 1

But Ken Hamm is not spewing hatred of a race.... :o

Except he is. Hamm is a profoundly ignorant and intolerant man. He's doing more damage than good.

Beastfan summed up what I said before editing except nicer lol.

I keep coming back to this.... these are broad and vague statements.

I'm going to call you out on this: If you're going to label someone that you do not know in any context to that level- provide an example of how:

- he is profoundly ignorant

- he is intolerant

- doing more damage than good.

. I am on break at work so I will expand on thos later but as for ignorance...his arguments against evolution and for a young earth consisted mostly of referring to the bible. Not exactly a peer reviewed and reliable source of scientific insight. Add to this his belief that dinosaurs lived with humans...so on and so forth. He is free to believe as he likes, as is anyone else, but in my opinion perpetuating this kind of thinking and stating it as absolute fact is harmful. I am paraphrasing here, but I believe he said no amount of evidence would change his mind.

So, by your definition, he's ignorant. What are your qualifications for judgment? Don't get me wrong, I've been the museum once- not my thing. I think he's right on a number of things- not so sure on others; he takes a very conservative and literal approach to the Bible. Whether or not you take the view that the earth is "young" or billions of years old, the "peer-reviewed" source of scientific insight "technology" is less than 50 years old. Hardly time-tested. Either way, no matter of scientific review can convince me that the earth, people, dinosaurs, stars, other galaxies, etc... are accidents of nature.

So, before we go on how ignorant he is- what qualifications are on the other side to determine this. I am not a scientist on any level; I'm not claiming him to be a genius at all; merely someone with a more informed opinion that I. I'm not likely to bend to your slant of thinking unless there are some scientific credentials to back up your label.

Interested to hear (read) of how he is intolerant.

That all said, I don't have a clue who you are and this is an argument that I'm not willing to split hairs on. I don't care if people think Ken Hamm is an old coot off his rocker... not going to make my day any longer or shorter. Just, across the board, tired of people labeling another person as ignorant, intolerant, etc... that really don't understand what the other person is about just because they have an opinion different than their own.

• Like 3

I'm not a huge fan of Ken Hamm for a few reasons, but I don't think he is ignorant or intolerant. He is actually a relatively intelligent man, and he believes fiercely in his beliefs. I wish I could fight with as much conviction about what I believe as he does.

I have covered his talks a few times. Interviewed people attending his talks, but never him. He has a tendency to take science and apply it to the bible instead of applying the bible to science.

Depending on how you were taught the Bible is either a collection of stories about God's people chronicling their lives and the path God has set down for us or it is the 100% absolute truth and word of God, any distrust to what is said is blasphemy and punishable by a long warm stay when your life has come to an end.

The battle between Ken Hamm and the world is no different that the Protestants and the Catholics or the Christians and Jews or Christians and Muslims. It is part of a belief system.

As for me, I tend to believe that science can explain anything but it wasn't done by accident. When learning human anatomy our bodies develop in a very linear progression. If one thing goes wrong or is delayed (even by minutes) everything else can and is thrown off. There is a perfectly useful and easy to understand reason that science provides. However, knowing the reason does not diminish the miracle of the process and make me believe that there is a higher power guiding this.

You can choose to believe that God is leading the scientist to unlock the secrets of the universe He has created or you can believe that scientists are trying to prove God wrong. I choose that God is working through the scientific community ...

• Like 7

I hate that if you are against something religious, you are automatically labeled a liberal. I hate that if you are against something socially you are an intolerant conservative.

My only opinion/stance on the tax break thing is....if you want a tax break, in a state where people pay taxes with the local and state governments, you have to be willing to hire anyone legally allowed to work in that city/state. Why should money that people pay to the governments have to go toward a business that wouldn't hire them if they don't meet their social/religious status?

It's a sticky situation, a lot of which I do not know the actual law about, but I wanted to give my opinion.

• Like 6

There are sources far older than 50 years with actual evidence that make Hamm seem very wrong. The first known example of evolutionary theory came in the 3rd century. I can list hundreds of sources that support a roughly 4.6 billion year old Earth and evolution/natural selection. I only know of one for a young Earth. Thousands of Brilliant scientists will tell you flat out he is wrong. Again you can believe as you like, it just does not make it so. I have a huge problem with creationism being taught in public schools. I will leave this topic alone though, for as much as I have to say on the topic as I have said before this is not the place for it and I do not wish to offend or argue.

Ps I will admit Hamm seems like no Charlatan. He seems to certainly believe what he preaches so he is no liar, just in my mind relying far too much on blind faith. He is most likely an overall all good person, but that does not mean he is not damaging.

Sorry last edit

This seems intolerant. www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/1_creationist_ken_ham_if_bible_were_wrong_you_could_just_reinterpret_what_marriage_means

• Like 4

Between the Ark Encounter and KK, I'm sure the KY legislature has better uses of their time. If the folks behind AE really want to sue, that's going to tap into their cash flow, so I wouldn't be surprised to read that the opening of their park would be pushed back. I don't see how AE would win. You want state $, then don't discriminate and don't proselytize.

• Like 3

Interestingly, there is a bill pending in the Indiana Legislature which would allow any entity (cough cough AE) to use state or local funds for a project where they could, to the extent provided by federal law, choose who to hire and what to promote. The session began today and this is probably just one of many bills that won't make it out of Committee, but it's one of a couple of bills proposed in light of the 7th Circuit legalizing gay marriage in Indiana. A companion bill would allow wedding businesses to refuse service to gay couples looking to marry in Indiana. Luckily, the leadership of both houses have great sway (Republicans hold a supermajority in both houses here) with the various committee chairs, who have the ultimate authority to hear (or not) a bill, which is the only way a bill sees the light of day. I wonder if any AE reps would make the short trek from Lexington to Indy to testify ...

• Like 2

Why would they testify for a bill in INDIANA when their business is in KENTUCKY? The passing of that bill would do absolutely nothing for their goals and have ZERO effect on their chance of government funding from the state of Kentucky.

The Creation Museum is NOT in Lexington by the way.

• Like 1

Unfortunately for Mr. Hamm, I suspect that anyone who has been to another amusement park in West Mifflin, PA will probably find that his Noah's Ark-themed attraction pales in comparison.

I know, I know. Apples and oranges. But I can't miss an opportunity to shower my favorite amusement park attraction with well-deserved praise.

To be fair, most of his target demographic (which actually usually includes me, but I'm not quite as gung-ho as he can be) would probably have issues with some of the liberties taken with the depiction of the events in the other attraction. I don't think Noah had one of those spinning funhouse tunnels on the ark. But if he did, then that Noah was one cool dude.

There are sources far older than 50 years with actual evidence that make Hamm seem very wrong. The first known example of evolutionary theory came in the 3rd century. I can list hundreds of sources that support a roughly 4.6 billion year old Earth and evolution/natural selection. I only know of one for a young Earth. Thousands of Brilliant scientists will tell you flat out he is wrong. Again you can believe as you like, it just does not make it so. I have a huge problem with creationism being taught in public schools. I will leave this topic alone though, for as much as I have to say on the topic as I have said before this is not the place for it and I do not wish to offend or argue.

Ps I will admit Hamm seems like no Charlatan. He seems to certainly believe what he preaches so he is no liar, just in my mind relying far too much on blind faith. He is most likely an overall all good person, but that does not mean he is not damaging.

Sorry last edit

This seems intolerant. www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/1_creationist_ken_ham_if_bible_were_wrong_you_could_just_reinterpret_what_marriage_means

Hey, look- don't confuse "debate" with "argument." I'll lose interest in a conversation quickly if it comes to an argument, this isn't the forum for such anyway. So imagine this conversation happening over an order of wings and once we don't solve anything we can talk about the undisputed fact that the Bengals will NEVER win a January football game.

I like to debate. Sometimes I will take a position opposite of what I think just to see if the person on the other side- not necessarily knows what they're talking about, but is passionate enough about it to dig their heels in and defend it. In this instance, and I'm no theologian, I side with Ham (not Hamm as even I have spelled it) about 49.9% of the time. He takes a very conservative, very literal approach to the Bible and its historical account. Is the Bible a historical account?, yes. Is it a biography?, yes. Is it a "book of the law"?, yes. BUT, it is also "literature" written to and for the cultures that were reading it in their time, which was a very illustrative society, where objects and concepts often represented something else readily understood by the people of the time. So when reading the Bible in 2015, a person's default mentality must be that much of it is written in "figurative" language readily understood by those reading it in "their" context. For instance, those of us who were very alert to the happenings of 9/11 knew exactly what the cartoon image of burning towers and an eagle sharpening its talons meant. 2000 years from now you would need to know a bit more history to understand the imagery.

I may have wrote this here before, so if I did, go to the next post. Much in our culture, Christian or not, know the number 666: satan, mark of The Beast, evil, etc... 6- by definition refers to: human weakness, imperfection, slavery, bondage, etc... 3 is completeness, perfect (to a lesser extent than 7)... put three sixes together and you have "perfect evil" (I'm paraphrasing a lot). In the apocalyptic literature style that Revelation (for instance) is written in, 666 refers to something that 1st century Christians wanted to warn others about without drawing attention to it in a language they understood: Caesar (Nero) and the Roman Empire. Consider Roman Numerals that were in existence at the time:

I- 1, V- 5, X- 10, L- 50, C- 100, D- 500

add em up.

Then there's the study of Gematria and the numeric equivalent for Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus, who we know from history books as Nero Caesar or Neron Kasar. Take the numeric values of the Hebrew interpretation of that name: NRWN QSR (N=50, R=200, W=6, Q=100, S=60, R= 200). Add them up and look him up... Nero was the textbook definition of a beast.

I got a little far away from the topic in my illustration. My apologies. I feel that Ken Ham takes a very literal approach to his outlook, which sometimes I think negates the original context that the passages were written. He does, however, base his hypothesis on much more than blind faith.

The link you posted was written by David Badash who narrowed the 90-minute (or however long it was) debate to Genesis being about Gay Marriage. Really? I'm not going to wade into that pond, but click on his name, read his self-written profile and you'll understand the context he's writing from.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Wow, that first sentence gave me a headache so I lost interest, lol.

If this passes the upcoming republican Governor will surely see that the same thing is passed in KY. That way they can close down the Democrat inspired mess that is Kentucky Kingdom and start up their own taxpayer funded park.

If this park is so important why don't they just get Osteen or some other super rich charl--------I mean preacher to fund them?

• Like 1

Not saying I have a beef with that actual article( can you say conflict of interest?) but the title is pretty misleading.

Leaving the politics, Kingdom rave/rants, religious beliefs aside:

I  went by the construction site yesterday.  It's a huge area, stretching over a couple of hill tops.  While hard to get a good look, area closest to the road will be parking, the actual vertical construction can be seen on the other ridge top.  Massive amounts of excavation, and columns (that the ark will sit on, along with the beginnings of the towers that will be attached, are taking shape.   You can get a birds eye view from videos on the Ark Encounter website..

Planned opening is still listed as sometime in 2016

I had doubts about this ever getting built (finished), but seeing actual construction, has made me a bit more optimistic.

You know the people who walk around in costumes like Snoopy and Charlie Brown,  I told my family I got dibbs on being Moses! lol....nevermind they won't hire a non-believer

Edited by cfred
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When and if KI does sell these, I would put my money on one Mr. Bonaminio jumping at the chance to lay his hands on these.  After all, he has about 350,000 square feet of room in which to incorporate them.

• Like 3