Color Me Pink 5K

LongLiveTheSmurfRide

• 1 month later...

OK, I decided that I can afford this, so I am signed up. Has anybody heard whether we'll have access to lockers to store cell phones, etc., during the run, or should I plan on leaving that stuff in the car and going back out for it post-race?

• Like 1

Got mine just a few minutes ago. Bib number 2013. Does everyone have the same bib number, or did I just get lucky? :D

EDIT: Oh, and I was surprised to find what appears to be an ordinary park admission ticket and parking ticket in the bag, even though I registered as a season passholder. Are those specifically for admission to the race area or something else, or did they just give them to me by mistake?

Double post, but I want to make sure that anyone who read the previous post sees this one.

I emailed the race organizers, and was told that you MUST use the admission ticket included with your packet to enter the park for the race, even if you have a season pass. This is so that KI can more easily track the number of runners entering the park. So don't lose the ticket.

Got an email with details for the event.

6:00 a.m.

Parking Lot Opens, participants enter through Soak City Connector (previously named Brant Connector) via Kings Island Drive. Please show parking voucher and keep on the dashboard of your vehicle

6:30 a.m.

Event Gate Opens in Kings Island South parking lot.

• The Event Gate leads into Participant Holding area
  • Your park admission ticket will be required to enter The Event Gate. Once your park ticket is given to a Kings Island Associate your hand will be stamped. This hand stamp will verify your entrance into the park for your visit after the event. Our hand stamp ink can withstand water and sweat.
  • Once in the Participant Holding area, you will be required to remain in the holding area until the beginning of the Color Me Pink. Participants will be grouped and sent in waves onto the course

7:15 a.m.

Color Me Pink begins.

8:00 a.m.

Soak City Connector closes, parking lot no longer accessible until general parking opens at 8:30 AM via Kings Island toll plazas.

8:30 a.m.

Color Me Pink ends in Soak City. Showers and changing rooms will be available.

9:30 a.m.

Kings Island opens for the 2013 season! Access will be available via Soak City train station and path to Planet Snoopy. Enjoy early ride time on select Kings Island attractions.

10:00 a.m

Soak City gate closes; train leaves Soak City station for last time, Planet Snoopy Path closes. All park entry now through Kings Island main gate.

Common Questions

Do I need my park admission ticket to participate?
Yes, tickets are required enter the Event Gate.

But, I am a Season Pass Holder?
Your park admission ticket is still required and will be your form of entry on event day.

• Like 1

Kings Island opens for the 2013 season! Access will be available via Soak City train station and path to Planet Snoopy. Enjoy early ride time on select Kings Island attractions.

Hmm, so does this mean that those of us without season passes will get ERT? That's cool.

Let's see here:

1. Opening Day always has longer ERT lines than a normal day. In 2011, after getting third train on The Beast, I waited 20 minutes in the single rider line for Diamondback.
  2. ERT has been shortened from 1 hour to 30 minutes this year. Already, the odds of being able to get in both a DB and Beast ride and still have time to position yourself for the rope drop and race fast walk to a quick ride on something else are practically nil.
  3. Add all the runners that don't have gold/platinum passes and thus ordinarily wouldn't be in ERT, which will make the lines even longer.

This is so NOT cool. I'm guessing I'll be able to get shorter lines for DB and The Beast in the afternoon of an average summer weekday than I will on Saturday morning during ERT. Which makes me wonder if I should even bother with DB or The Beast at all on Saturday.

^Does it really matter? You have an entire season of ERT at your disposal, not to mention the freedom of going to the park whenever you want--even when you know the park won't be crowded.

If you don't want to deal with crowds, perhaps you should wonder what you're doing at Opening Day in the first place.

• Like 2

^Does it really matter? You have an entire season of ERT at your disposal, not to mention the freedom of going to the park whenever you want--even when you know the park won't be crowded.

Which is why I wondered if I should bother with DB and The Beast on Saturday: because I know I'll be back on less crowded days.

If you don't want to deal with crowds, perhaps you should wonder what you're doing at Opening Day in the first place.

Because:

1. I'm walking a 5K that morning to raise money for charity; perhaps you've heard about it? ;)
  2. There's going to be a LOT of KICers there Saturday, so I'll be able to see some faces that I haven't seen in six months or longer, and hopefully put some new faces to other usernames.
  3. I haven't ridden an amusement ride of any kind in six months and am deep in withdrawal.
  4. There will be other, smaller rides, such as possibly Shake, Rattle, and Roll; Viking Fury, etc. that won't be as busy as others, on which I can fix #3.
  5. I'm interested in checking out the various minor improvements and changes to the park, which doesn't require waiting in any lines.
  6. The afternoon of Opening Day is generally camera workout time for me, particularly since I've volunteered to get a photo of the new evacuation system on WindSeeker for use on the Wikipedia article (assuming it's out where the public can see it, which isn't a given).

Need any more reasons? :P

• Like 3

Because I was hoping to get in one ride each on DB and The Beast during ERT. The combination of ERT being cut in half and the addition of the 5K runners has likely killed at least one of those two for me.

And there's more than Coney Mall flats. Flight Deck usually doesn't have much of a line. Neither does Adventure Express. At 60 riders per train pair, The Racer can move people as fast as or faster than DB and doesn't get as long of a line to begin with. There's always a show to check out. At some point I'm going to be hungry and will likely check out one of the new food options.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I never got around to doing a TR, so I thought I'd make a video. That was a really fun event, especially for someone who enjoys running AND Kings Island. Also had a chance to talk to Greg Scheid at the Reds Grille!!

• Like 1