Faerie Wench's trip report thread

faeriewench

Wow; I don't have multiple lenses for my camera! :lol: I always have trouble taking focused pictures in low light, but lately I found two other shooting modes in my camera (Handheld Night Scene & Low Light) that take great pictures in low light. Now I'm griping (to myself) over how I did not think one bit of using those modes on my camera when I was at KI after dark (especially last Sunday, 5/26)! haha I guess I'll just have to wait until my next evening trip. :)

• Like 1

Kings Island 06/12/2013

9030086910_f4ac118f49_n.jpg
IMG_4304 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

This was probably the shortest visit to the park for me. I work really early mornings sometimes and today was one of those. I got to the park around 3:40pm after work, just in time to get to International Showplace to see what changes, if any, were made to the Remember when...the 70's. Overall good show, though I feel like last year was better. Some of the singers seemed like they had the wrong voice(s) for the songs in which they sung. But still a good performance, and the dancers were amazing! After the show...I went home. lol. Hey, I was TIRED! For once no Flight Deck! I have to admit...I am pretty pleased with the pics. :)

9027686253_38e4ff321d_n.jpg
IMG_4194 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9027683321_deedab65cb_n.jpg
IMG_4224 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9030084698_f0884cc3ab_n.jpg
IMG_4319 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9030085942_94277ab9c4_n.jpg
IMG_4315 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9027785123_28f984d38e_n.jpg
IMG_4303 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

• Like 3

Kings Island KIC Day June 15, 2013

9055483519_d5c5c3dc4f_n.jpg
IMG_4426 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

Sadly me and my brother missed the FOF tour, so by the time we got to Coney, the KIC'ers were just leaving FOF heading for Dodgems. I chose to sit out for all 3 (mostly due to the fact Monster makes me sick and of course.....I had to take pictures). After ERT wrapped up, me and my brother for the most part hung out with Avatar, IndyGuy, Beastie1980 and jlopez for the remainder of the morning and most of the afternoon. This particular day was also the first time my youngest brother got to conquer most of the coasters KI offers. I am not a great reassuring type person (never really have been) so the KIC'ers with us were more the ideal folks to talk encouragements.

(Today is father's day...thank you grandpa for teaching me to be a "suck it up and just do it" type of person -_-)

Our first ride was FOF, I'm pretty sure it was my first ride of the season on that too! Great great ride. I found myself on Firehawk for the first time since 2010....and now I think I will go back to just keeping my distance. The wait was previously said by the attendant to be 45 minutes if I remember correctly but it only ended up like 20 mins?? >_> Vortex was next up, I think it caught my brother off guard, oh well he'll get used to it is what I told him afterwards. After Vortex it went like this WindSeeker > pretzels > The Beast > Diamondback? I think Diamondback followed... oh wait, yes it did. My brother handled his first ride on The Beast well methinks and especially considering we were in a wheel seat. While we were in line for Diamondback, it actually turned out to be a longer wait than expected, but we decided to just wait it out since we were already close to boarding at that point when we realized what time it was. When we got off of Dback we come to find out the other KIC'ers were waiting for us at The Racer/Firehawk tour (so we didn't miss it afterall!).

Ok Fast forward to the food...

I think the last time I been inside IR was....2008? So I seen the little Peanuts related improvements. Food was pretty good...though the ice cream sandwich I very much welcomed! Being so muggy out and all.... Met NoChickens and the mrs up in IR too, I honestly don't remember if we were introduced on opening day or what? lol Sadly though my day was quickly drawing to a close because I had to be off to work for the evening. Though my brother continued to hang out with Avatar and the others after I had left. It was really cool seeing everyone again.

9057667656_b8918ff43e_n.jpg
IMG_4409 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9057786400_00b0bfbbc3_n.jpg
IMG_4469 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9057705970_a0a48c7f0f_n.jpg
IMG_4429 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9059707234_4c2e777323_n.jpg
IMG_5839 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

Some of the pics I took during the Dodgem/Monster/Scrambler ERT are posted on my FB now. Anyone interested in seeing those? Again hope to see you all again sometime soon, preferably before my next adventure!

8890975993_df8f239a90_m.jpg
_1019137 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

• Like 5

I really liked those photos of Firehawk. That's a really neat view.

Thanks for posting. I'm sad I couldn't make it, but that's the way life goes sometimes. Hopefully I can make it to the next event!

It really is cool to see it from a different angle at the park. You should make it out to the next one!

• 2 weeks later...

Unplanned Kings Island visit 06/24/2013

9133773603_23a2705dc1_n.jpg
2013-06-24 22.18.57 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

And I do mean unplanned. I got everything I needed to get done 3 hours earlier than I usually would at work and was given ok to head out. Which left me thinking....now what? I am already close enough as is to KI so I decided then to head to the park. It was about 8:30 when I got there and Flight Deck was a walk on! First time this season I got to get multiple rides back to back on it. When I finally reached my limit my dad and bro came to the park. Bro wanted to do his first night ride on The Beast, we were in line before 9:20, but didn't get on it till a few minutes after the fireworks ended. Awesome night ride! Probably the best I have had on The Beast in fact. And with that large moon glowing all orange....made it seem more perfect. Before and after Beast got my first real good look at Starlight Spectacular this season.....pitiful is all I have to say. I did take pics but due to the fact this visit was very much unplanned, didn't bring any of my cameras. So just had my cellphone... >,<

9135989620_15a07b9147_n.jpg
2013-06-24 22.35.31 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9136015142_e5c8de2de5_n.jpg
2013-06-24 21.11.12 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Rainy trip to Kings Island 07/22/2013

9348867014_2d57321890_n.jpg
IMG_5237 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

On this day I have finally got to play with the "drive mode" on my camera and managed an ungodly amount of 1,320 pics at KI yesterday when I typically average about 200 a trip. Just think what will happen my next trip to SeaWorld...if I manage 5,000 the entire trip and just pressing that button over and over again.

It was rainy, but I figure what the hell? This will probably be my only trip to the park before I go back to Knott's since work comes first. This trip ended up being about the shows. My morning actually started out at a very familiar place to me...had breakfast at Great Wolf. I got to the main gate at around 9:15 just before they started letting people through. I rode Diamondback once at ERT, and I went to The Beast when it started to get busy and got to get few back to back rides on it (4 rides). It began to pour as I was walking back to I-Street from Beast so it led me to the Grand Carousal and I took a bunch of pictures.

9348157388_e301372441.jpg
IMG_4545 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9345368945_ef98701beb.jpg
IMG_4530 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

...and question....when was the last time the organ ran?

The rain had let up a bit after about a half hour so I walked to Festhaus, and they were halfway through a showing of British Invasion. Since it was still raining and I haven't seen the show yet this year all the way through I decided to stick around for the next show (which was a half hour later). I must say, I actually did enjoy the show this year. Certainly my favorite show besides Ed Alonzo at the park now.

9345502391_f6afb50140.jpg
IMG_4603 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9345497627_8c61bd6cba.jpg
IMG_4746 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

I immediately went straight to KI theater for the first Ed Alonzo show for the day. The show had several technical difficulties that were quickly fixed and I love Ed's talent of taking something like that and making it funny.

9348874150_d73f31d9a8.jpg
IMG_5037 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9346082817_d2bcae59c6.jpg
IMG_5152 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9348866708_763100d3c4.jpg
IMG_5247 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

After Ed Alonzo I was back at Great Wolf to get something to eat. Hour later I returned to the park to go take pics of Vortex and Dback for a bit to kill time before the next Ed Alonzo show I was catching.

9346198701_fa66a4296f.jpg
IMG_5269 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9349283031_8f64125ccb.jpg
IMG_5313 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9352059068_99fbe667b2.jpg
IMG_5392 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

After the show (which was a tad shorter than usual...they completely removed the part where he does the knife throw that particular show) it was time for me to go home.

Other pics taken during the day:

9345326007_6106b9a0e3.jpg
IMG_4494 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9348115462_92901c1a68.jpg
IMG_4519 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9345499163_8d345dbc0e.jpg
IMG_4696 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9352049726_c6e896eae1.jpg
IMG_5477 (2) by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9352054014_81709c6b35.jpg
IMG_5717 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Knott's Berry Farm - August 10th, 11th, 13th and 14th

9524201902_b0eefe17f1_n.jpg
IMG_6522 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

Probably one of the most emotional visits I ever had yet to Knott's. On August 11th as I had just got into the park I received a text message from one of my SoCal friends informing me the passing of a long time veteran to the Knott's Haunt due to a massive heart attack just a couple hours prior, only 37 years old. This gentleman was one of the people I looked up to for advice my rookie year at FearFest at KI, despite the fact the parks were different companies then, they still offer help when I asked. Certainly one of my inspirations and among the reasons I decided to even go for working as a scareactor (since I sort of grew up with Knott's Haunt in a way anyway). Outside Haunt, he was an actor (he even appeared on Jay Leno bout a month ago during a brief skit), sumo wrestler and a good father. I was invited to a couple memorials that took place with several other Haunters, and yeah it was pretty emotional. After getting the text I could barely stand being inside Knott's cause of the memories so my visit that day was cut pretty short, but I know he wouldn't want me to NOT have fun. Though, as weird it may sound, I feel like perhaps I was meant to be there, had I been in Ohio I doubt I would been able to go to any memorial and I prefer closure of some type. :/

Apart from what had happened, it was still a good visit. Got my ride on Coast Rider, I might be minority but I prefer WildCat, though still a fun little ride. The Boardwalk does look amazing and Boomerang looks gorgeous! More eye popping than before to look at. Ghost Rider is now my favorite night ride at Knott's, very wild ride with intense airtime in the front, not too mention the rides it delivered (no matter where I sat) was actually quite fun. Second favorite night ride being Silver Bullet (in the very back), everything is such a blur to me, lol. Log Ride renovation was certainly for the better, the animatronics are soooooo cool! Seeing WindSeeker was pretty sad....I've no real problem with the WindSeekers so seeing the Knott's one just sitting quiet knowing the others been open was a huge bummer.

Anyway...on a tight schedule so I'm just gonna go straight to the pictures:

9521313159_6f9b6dae08.jpg
IMG_6390 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9521311897_cc8f36047a.jpg
IMG_6422 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9521311483_b409a17310.jpg
IMG_6652 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9521705949_29b65a93ed.jpg
IMG_0076 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

9524493372_924a0467a0.jpg
IMG_0054 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Knott's Merry Farm 12/17/2013

This is a real quick post cause I'm bout to go out to breakfast with my friend and then it is off to Knott's again for the day. Yesterday I put my focus on the shows (Gift of the Magi, It's Christmas Snoopy and even the kids show) From what I experienced so far the Merry Farm is quite good for what it is. One of the ice skaters in It's Christmas Snoopy I could almost swear was at Kings Island the last time they had a ice skating show...it was a brief moment of deja vu. Show itself I LOVED. The Charlie Brown Christmas special was incorporated into the show and they even had Linus' famous true meaning of Christmas speech in it. Certainly my favorite ice skating show I seen at Knott's in a long time. Gift of the Magi was also well done, singing and the acting, so I am looking forward to Christmas Carol today. The park itself is gorgeous at night with the Ghost Town buildings lit up (pictures will be up when I get home).

Park was really dead yesterday (I anticipate the same thing today) so there wasn't much of a line to speak of for anything. I gotta admit the skyline looks different without WindSeeker, as it didn't take me long to get used to it being there :/ That's what I got so far, hope we are all good!

11435594205_5e72acae72_z.jpg

IMG_0402 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

• Like 6

Knott's Merry Farm 12/18/2013

This day I saw the remainder of the shows I hadn't caught yet and rode some coasters as well. My first show was A Christmas Carol, which is a tradition at the Merry Farm too. LOVED it. The acting was...superb? The gentleman who portrayed Scrooge fit the part very well with his facial expressions and his overall acting was the best of all of them. XD I spent a good portion of the afternoon taking pictures of the rides and around the park. Ghostrider is still one of my favorite woodies, good enough I tolerated it two rides back to back. I could have done more rides...but I felt like I was neglecting my other two must do coasters there being Silver Bullet and Jaguar. Yet again there was NO line for really anything (Xcelerator was a walk on all day). I ended my day with Snoopy's Merriest Tree Lighting in Calico Square. A very good show, the elves are really funny, and the 40 foot tree is gorgeous. It's a really cute show for the full family, and the kids loved it when Santa appeared. Me personally it was the first non Haunt show I ever watched on that stage...I'm not used to it being so colorful and happy looking...I liked it, lol. That's what I got for the 18th, today is my last day at the park as I got Christmas parties to go to with extended family and friends before heading back to Ohio. Kudos to Knott's for stepping up their game this year for the Merry Farm! It's pretty and the shows are fun.

11451755856_95e308a19d_z.jpg

IMG_0258 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Banshee Media Day at Kings Island 04/17/2014

Me and my brother arrived bit late cause y'know I wanted sleep so we got to KI around 7:30-ish and I despise cold (I also despise humidity too since it aggravates my lungs). I managed a handful of pictures as soon as we got there but then my fingers turned blue and I hid in the restroom under the heaters till I warmed back up and a lot of people besides myself had the same idea... By the time I was normal color again I went back and the sun had come out! Hallelujah! I can never figure how anyone can ride any coaster in such conditions. I bumped into jcgoble, Lora and a couple other folks, I wanted to get my ride on Banshee but didn't know what to do with my cameras, jcgoble was nice enough to babysit and I got in line with Lora. We were line for maybe 25 minutes? or 30? but I must say I absolutely loved Banshee, the one ride was probably for the best though. I was also impressed with the attempt at theming around the ride and actually was happy to see a SOB tombstone (SOB was a SOB but hey...deserves to be remembered) and hope KI will maintain it. During the ceremony I regretted not bringing my tripod, at least at SeaWorld even with that lens on me I could be sitting down, ah well, ceremony was nice nonetheless. I especially like Greg's speech. Off and on throughout the morning I got approached by a few complete strangers asking me if I was apart of a actual tv news crew (cause of the lens and massive bag) and their facial expressions were priceless when I said I was independent :P

After the ceremony wrapped up I was impatient for lunch (in case a couple of ya'll didn't notice lol...) by the time lunch had hit...well I'm disappointed with the chicken at Chicken Shack as it just tasted bland to me even with the sauce that was handed out. At least the fries and toast was good though. When I finished my lunch, remainder of the day was spent going back and forth between The Bat and Banshee with the occasional stop to talk to a KIC'er or two. Finally got to meet VortexBFForever, Kat Jones, and sikkinixx99! (sikkini I don't remember who that was that was with you..) among a couple others but just don't remember usernames. Good to see the familiar faces too! I kept giving malem a hard way to go when I did see him cause he was not wearing a coat....

Anyway, despite the cold, I did have fun yesterday at media day. :D

13893536521_922ec785f3.jpg

IMG_8308 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

13918475484_ec97b4dac8.jpg

IMG_8254 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

13918122003_9a43fdc52f.jpg

IMG_1199 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

• Like 5