Memorable Opening Days

Voicetek

With opening day just a little over 2 months away, it got me thinking of some of the past opening days that I've been to. There are a lot of great memories of going to KI on opening day, especially if you're going to experience a new ride or attraction! What are some of your memories of opening days at Kings Island. What are some things that made those opening day experiences memorable?

I'll get this started:

I remember the year the Phantom Theater opened. I'd seen the ads and the commercials on tv and I couldn't wait to try it. I remember going with my dad and we got there before the park opened. It was raining and we were standing right off of international street where they had the different areas roped off. I remember waiting for the time to come when they would remove the rope and we could go. The moment they did that, my dad and I took off running to the entrance. It was nice once we were inside and it was warm and dry and we could enjoy a little music from the Maestro himself while we waited!

Another memorable opening day for me was 2009, the year Diamondback opened. I went with my girlfriend and we got there pretty early. It was crazy that day! The crowds were unlike anything I'd ever seen before. The line was super long and it stretched from the entrance all the way back through kiddy land, and around past the Eiffel Towers, and ended up near the La Rosa's by The Beast. It was fun though to stand in line and enjoy the sights and the sounds of the new coaster! I was amazed to see the train come down that final drop and make the "splash" and spray water up everywhere. I was amazed by it and couldn't wait to take my first ride! We finally got to load and it was a miracle, we were given the front seat! Front seat on my first Diamondback ride! I was so pumped. The ride was fantastic and even better, we got a free t-shirt upon exit! I still wear my Diamondback t-shirt proudly every summer, mostly at Kings Island.

• Like 3

Well, in 2009 when Diamondback opened, I rode it twice that day, once during the day once at night. But I had the lucky honor of getting to ride it on the media preview day a few days prior to the park opening. Then there was an opening day in the 2000s somewhere, where the park closed at 12pm because it was snowing and practically nobody showed up.

I still remember, and miss, when they used to have the season pass sneak preview days. That was always a sure sign that spring was on the way. Sadly, they haven`t done those in years.

Sadly, I don't have any pics from the majority of my opening days at the park. However, I did go prepared in 2009 to document the opening of Diamondback. I thought I'd post some pics and a video of that opening day!

Here is a picture of my girlfriend holding the shirt we got for being first time riders of Diamondback that day:

cindydiamondback.jpg

Here is a video I made using pics and videos of Diamondback's opening day. I posted it in another topic a while back, but I'll repost it since it's relevant to this topic as well!

• Like 2

Last year was the first one for me. The cold and rain could have made it a crappy day, but it wasn't happening. I brought along some friends who had never been to the park and a couple of them had never been on a coaster. That's what made it so memorable for me, seeing their nervousness before the ride, and the excitement after.

The crowds weren't too bad but we decided to get Fast Lane passes anyway. Jumping to the front of the line was awesome and made the experience all the better. It's crazy, I did it, and I still can't fathom the idea of doing it.

Looking forward to making the most of Opening Day 2013. It cannot get here fast enough.

• Like 1

I really missed the dry run days. As employees, we were each given 8 tickets to give to our friends and family for them to enjoy the park while they worked out the kinks and gave the employees valuable on the job training. We were even given a coupon for 2 free slices of pizzas and a soft drink during our lunch. As for grad night, they are no longer held by the park. I remember back in 1973, working my very first grad night when the park used to be open all night until 6 am or so. Kenny Rodgers and Climax Blues Band were the first performers that played the even. I was able to talk with Kenny Rodgers in the back area after the show and he was very friendly and was able to get his autograph.

• Like 4

The opening days I've been to at KI haven't been nearly as bad as in 2011. That day was pretty bumpy. It seemed like most of the rides went down repeatedly, and the attendance was definitely higher than in years past. Otherwise, opening day is usually one of my favorite days to visit--low to moderate crowds and great weather.

I've always heard Cedar Point's opening days are pretty rough as far as ride closures go, but I've never been. Weather typically ends up being an issue.

• Like 2

The only opening day that I've been to (that I can remember) was Opening Day 2009. It was very crowded; thus, I only rode Flight Deck, Diamondback and Flight of Fear. Surprisingly, I only waited 10 minutes for Diamondback because I was in the Single Rider Line. :)

EDIT: And, I got a free T-Shirt! (Diamondback First Rider)

• Like 1

Opening Day 2009 was the most memorable for me. Not just because of Diamondback but because that was the first time I'd ever gotten to really hang out with a lot of KICers. I won the drawing that Rex and The Beast (.com) held for a seat with Rex during the first rider auction which was a HUGE surprise to me. I seriously never win anything and when I got that email I went running through my house yelling "I GET TO RIDE Diamondback!!" My mom thought I was crazy.

3218_582247130310_4261716_n_zps8b5c6de6.

(Rex and I in the back seat. In the front seat is Jackson, aka Beast1979)

I ended up staying the night before in the Super 8 across the highway with Angie (gigacoaster2k) who had become a really good friend over the winter. We're still incredibly close. She was the first good friend I made as a member of this site. Opening day, I also met my now-best friend Stephanie (kittenpooh), my now-husband Nick (dare-to-fly) and many, many, many others who have become really good friends.

3218_582247749070_873398_n_zpse6f1bc90.j

I can't remember all the usernames of the people in this photo, but they include KICers Makayla (ogrmac), Angie, (gigacoaster2k), Dustin (kiruler102), Derrick (PhantomTheater), Danielle, Jesse and Shawn

Opening day 2011 was another memorable one if only because everything went wrong. I missed The Racer evac because Nick and I went to lunch at exactly the wrong time, but I got about a million texts about it. At one point, I finally gave up on trying to ride anything because like Chris (chugh43) said, everything went down when we tried to ride it! I took Stephanie's kids and spent several hours in Nick U with them while everyone else tried to ride Diamondback and Beast. The best part of opening day 2011 though was when we took Stephanie's daughter Mindy on her very first "grown up" ride - she'd hit the magical 48" mark over the winter and started her entrance into the enthusiast world with a night ride on The Beast!!

226689_2034013335823_5348340_n_zps0fb001

Pretty much everyone in this pic met because of KIC. Mindy is on the far right after her "new favorite ride!"

Opening day 2012 was memorable because .... oh yeah, I didn't go to opening day 2012 because some KICer decided to get married that day. :P

• Like 8

I really remember opening day of 2008. All the rumors had circulated that there was a new coaster going in and that swan lake had been drained. The park had done its best to keep it quiet. I still remember being led on The Beast walkback (yes...that was still happening) by Don and we were finally allowed to see for ourselves and take pictures of the construction. I also remember noticing the very amusing flower pots on top of the soon-to-be DB footings. It was also a very fun opening day.

• Like 2

I remember my very first opening day in 1972 as a new Kings Island employee. It was my very first job and the opening day was something to behold. The park was brand new and it was not built up as it is today. My next opening day was 2005 when it was freezing and raining and I was very damp. But we did not show it and we worked on and did the best we could.

• Like 1

I would have to agree with ViolaKat- Kat that 2009 was the most memorable Opening Day! I met some amazing people that i still hang out with as friends. Kat, Angie, Steph, Gary, Jesse, etc. There all still very close to me and i love my KICentral family! I had the opportunity to work opening day 2012 in the admissions department and then later enjoying the rainy cold day with many close friends. As last year, i will be at Opening Day; but in the admissions department selling passes and tickets. :)

• Like 4

I cant rember the exact year (maybe 2003 or 2004 but i was still in High School), it was extremely cold for opening day (maybe low 40s or upper 30s) that it started to snow. The park made the announcement shortly after opening that they would be closing at noon. My friend and I sprinted to The Beast where we road it in the front seat which was a big mistake. Our faces were so red when we got off of the ride. There were only 2 other people on the ride and they were sitting in the back. They spent the majority of the ride ducking down in their seats to dodge all of the snowflakes.

• Like 4

I've never been to the park for opening day and usually go the 2nd or 3rd public operating day for my first visit of the year.

I can vouch for that.

Terp, who rides Beast in the front row or the next to last row, usually.

Thats my Favorite seat on The Beast, the next to last row is always the best to me! :)

• Like 2