Dollywood-Trip tips?

I am heading to Dollywood in the summer of 2013.

Does anyone have any trip tips? Where to find discount tickets (coupons ect.)

I have been to the Pigeon Forge area and the surrounding towns. Any attractions or restaurants to be sure not to miss

at Dollywood? I am looking for tips for this summer.

Thank you guys very much.

If you are going to be there two days or more, buy a season pass. It's cheaper than 2 days worth of tickets. You can save on parking by turning down Teaster Ln and parking at Patriot Park for free, then riding one of the Pigeon Forge trolleys in. It costs 50 cents per person each way, so if it's a really big group of you it won't be worth it, but 4 people or less would be cheaper.

DO NOT miss a ride on the train. It's one of few remaining coal-fired steam engines in operation at an amusement park. It will take you on a 5-mile round trip up into the mountains and back, where you also get some nice views of the coasters. Dollywood is very proud of their train engine Cinderella (and their second engine Klondike Katie) and love to show her off. You can hear her steam whistle echo throughout downtown Pigeon Forge.

The food is amazing. There is no bad, or even mediocre place to eat. However there are some shining stars. Ms. Lillian's Chicken House is an all-you-can-eat buffet with fried chicken as the centerpiece, but plenty of other great home-cooked options. You also get to experience the entertainment that is Ms. Lillian, the chicken lady, a fantastic character that roams the dining room singing songs and generally finding every way she can to torture unsuspecting victims in the funniest way possible. I've seen her dress DaveStroem up as a chicken to dance with her, ask to borrow someone's cell phone mid-conversation and then sing a chicken song to the person on the other end, stalk people to the fountain drink machine, and everyone's favorite, provide chicken blessings to those in need! If you like to have a good laugh, this is not something you want to miss.

Another good place is Aunt Granny's, a full-service buffet full of home-cooked favorites such as turkey, fried chicken, pulled ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc. Hickory House is a "quick service" establishment that serves BBQ pulled pork sandwiches and turkey legs. Lumber Jack's Pizza is the home of the 12-lb pizza, which they serve in 1-lb slices. They are also the home of the best chicken tenders in the park. Other great places include Backstage Restaurant, Market Square, Red's Diner, Dogs n Taters, Victoria's Pizza ... the list just goes on! Definitely plan to eat in the park. It's not as expensive as KI, but is a bit higher than you'd find in the 'outside world.'

If you enjoy shows, Dollywood produces some amazing ones. These aren't the type of shows you will see in a chain park. They won the "best shows" Golden Ticket for a reason - beating out even Disney for the honor. I recommend Dreamland Drive-In and Wings of America. The Christmas shows I think are phenomenal, so if you get a chance to go back during Christmas you could spend an entire day just watching shows.

Oh, and of course, I recommend riding every coaster. Don't skip over Blazing Fury - just remember to appreciate it for it's 1970's cheesiness. And come say hi to me at Wild Eagle!

• Like 10

I second both the train ride suggestion and the praise for the food! The cinnamon bread at the Grist Mill is amazing as well.

As for the coasters Mystery Mine seemed to have the slowest moving line so if you do not use their (extremely reasonably priced) quick quay I would try to hit that up first. Wild Eagle is a people eater as is Tennessee Tornado (as long as both trains are in use). Hope you have a great time!

Barnstormer had a very short ridetime. If you have been on Skyhawk at Cedar Point, you will likely get the same experience--the difference being Skyhawk is larger (both size and capacity) and has a longer duration.

Definitely do not miss their roller coasters. I haven't been on Wild Eagle yet, but I was completely blown away with Tennessee Tornado, Mystery Mine, and Thunderhead. Try to get the front seat on Thunderhead, Blazing Fury, and Mystery Mine, as you can see the surroundings and thematic elements the best. For Tornado, I recommend the back as it is most intense.

Except...staggered opening. Thunderhead operates most days long before the back of the park opens. If you are going more than one day, season passes are by far the best deal. Hotel packages end up costing you more for a room that can be had at a substantial discount without tickets, but not with them, as a rule.

Terpy - They no longer do staggered opening, as of 2012. All coasters open at the same time now. I suggest hitting TN Tornado or Mystery Mine first, as they will be deserted. Everyone goes to either Thunderhead or Eagle. Also, the last hour of the day everything clears out.

While Mystery Mine *seems* like it has the slowest line, it actually isn't that far off from the rest. On an average day of single-mode dispatch, we'd put through about 700 an hour, dual dispatch would bump us to 800. Eagle puts through an average of 800, Tornado about 900, and Thunderhead about 800. So, in dual mode it's exactly on-par with the rest of the coasters, and it will be run in dual mode whenever the wait exceeds 30 minutes.

• Like 4

I also really suggest finding other things to do besides the coasters from roughly 11-2. These are the longest lines for the coasters, and you'll often find yourself in a position with the rides at the back of the park where you'll have to wait for them to add trains. Go early to the coasters, and after 4 or 5 you'll be able to get right on without too many problems. In the last hour, pretty much all the coasters will be a walk-on.

My family and I went there last summer and had a great time! I agree with pretty much all the posts on here so far, but I'm going to recommend a few of my favorite rides. Definitely ride Wild Eagle and Mystery Mine. These were two of my favorite coasters in the park! Someone else mentioned Barnstormer, yes this had a short ride time, but it was really a lot of fun!

We went to the park for 2 days back in August. We rode pretty much everything. I didn't think the lines were too bad at all. I don't really think there is a "bad" attraction at the park! Just remember to take your time and enjoy yourself!

• Like 3

My family and I went there last summer and had a great time! I agree with pretty much all the posts on here so far, but I'm going to recommend a few of my favorite rides. Definitely ride Wild Eagle and Mystery Mine. These were two of my favorite coasters in the park! Someone else mentioned Barnstormer, yes this had a short ride time, but it was really a lot of fun!

We went to the park for 2 days back in August. We rode pretty much everything. I didn't think the lines were too bad at all. I don't really think there is a "bad" attraction at the park! Just remember to take your time and enjoy yourself!

I tend to like the smaller parks, so I can take my time and wander through the park. That is what I enjoyed last year attending Holiday World. My party was not in a rush and we just sat back and "people watched" When I hit Cedar Point or Kings Island, I tend to rush and get all the attractions in, but as I get older I have learned to just enjoy the atmosphere of the park.

• Like 2

The atmosphere at Dollywood is certainly amazing. Something that sets us apart from a lot of other parks is the average age of our employees. We hire a LOT of retirees, so I often feel like I have multiple grandpas when I'm at work! I'm 27 and I am the youngest team lead in the attractions department, so that right there tells you a bit about how different things are from parks like Kings Island. You will experience southern hospitality at it's best at Dollywood. There is so much more to the park than just the rides, and I really think you will love it.

• Like 12

^ This! With utmost respect to Holiday World's reputation, the nicest park employees I've ever met have been at DW. My family, who mostly doesn't care one way or another about theme parks, even noticed how nice the park staff there is when we visited last March. I'm just bummed I still haven't made it to the chicken restaurant.

Basically, the best trip advice for Dollywood is to definitely make sure you visit Dollywood.

• Like 11

I MIGHT be going to Dollywood during my Spring Break (there's a slight chance at the moment), so the tips are helping me too. The rides I want to go for the most are Tennessee Tornado, Mystery Mine, and Wild Eagle. So far I've heard about this park having very great rides, and just now I was reading the posts about the friendly employees.

And yes, I've never been to Dollywood. :)

^ This! With utmost respect to Holiday World's reputation, the nicest park employees I've ever met have been at DW. My family, who mostly doesn't care one way or another about theme parks, even noticed how nice the park staff there is when we visited last March. I'm just bummed I still haven't made it to the chicken restaurant.

Basically, the best trip advice for Dollywood is to definitely make sure you visit Dollywood.

Let's just say, we are ALL really proud of our Golden Ticket win over Holiday World this past year. In 2011 they beat us by 4%. In 2012, we beat them by 26% ... so ... yeah, we're proud of that and we want to hold on to it. :)

• Like 2

We usually do the buy a ticket after 4 or 5 and get in the park the next day for free. Later in the day the patrons seem to be worn out, which allows many rides, then the next day we can hit the shows in the early afternoon.

• Like 1

I agree with all of the tips that everyone has provided so far. Rides: excellent, Shows: excellent, Food: excellent. We were season pass holders there last year and enjoyed each and every visit. We were even there on the busiest day in the park's history, and the lines were not bad at all.

Tornado is the best Arrow looper (or half of an Arrow looper as some people say), Thunderhead is my #3 woodie, and I love Mystery Mine and Blazing Fury in all its 1970's glory (although I miss the splashdown :(). Wild Eagle is pretty good. It's relaxing, not intense in my opinion. It swoops and soars pretty much like riding along with an eagle... although I'm pretty sure I've never seen a bald eagle fly upside down...

There is not a bad place to eat in the park. Miss Lillian's is our favorite, but all of the other places are just as good. Love the giant skillets!

My last piece of advice is DO NOT... UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES... ride Lemon Twist with dare-to-fly! :lol: (that's the only time I've ever had to sit down after a ride to recuperate!)

We're really bummed that we don't have season passes there this year (there's certain issues in the extended family that we anticipate will occupy our time and money this summer, and possibly next summer too, so we don't forsee being able to visit DW as often as we would like). The other day, out of the blue GatorGirl said, "I can't believe we're not going to Dollywood until November!" I sadly said, "I know..." :( But on the bright side, the family issues may lead us to Florida, where we hope to make a side trip to a certain magical place in the middle of the state.

• Like 7

My last piece of advice is DO NOT... UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES... ride Lemon Twist with dare-to-fly! :lol: (that's the only time I've ever had to sit down after a ride to recuperate!)

He's still proud of that fact and likes to gloat about it on occasion. :lol:

• Like 4

I agree with all of the tips that everyone has provided so far. Rides: excellent, Shows: excellent, Food: excellent. We were season pass holders there last year and enjoyed each and every visit. We were even there on the busiest day in the park's history, and the lines were not bad at all.

Tornado it the best Arrow looper (or half of an Arrow looper as some people say), Thunderhead is my #3 woodie, and I love Mystery Mine and Blazing Fury in all its 1970's glory (although I miss the splashdown :(). Wild Eagle is pretty good. It's relaxing, not intense in my opinion. It swoops and soars pretty much like riding along with an eagle... although I'm pretty sure I've never seen a bald eagle fly upside down...

There is not a bad place to eat in the park. Miss Lillian's is our favorite, but all of the other places are just as good. Love the giant skillets!

We're really bummed that we don't have season passes there this year (there's certain issues in the extended family that we anticipate will occupy our time and money this summer, and possibly next summer too, so we don't forsee being able to visit DW as often as we would like). The other day, out of the blue GatorGirl said, "I can't believe we're not going to Dollywood until November!" I sadly said, "I know..." :( But on the bright side, the family issues may lead us to Florida, where we hope to make a side trip to a certain magical place in the middle of the state.

Ahhh...stop being a weinie. I bet GatorGirl will ride it with me.

Note - if you ride with me - there's no such thing as too fast. It's like the washer on spin cycle if you ride it with me. Bwhahahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! No trim brakes on Lemon Twist! If you don't watch it, you might dare-to-fly right out of the cup.

• Like 4

Tornado it the best Arrow looper (or half of an Arrow looper as some people say), Thunderhead is my #3 woodie, and I love Mystery Mine and Blazing Fury in all its 1970's glory (although I miss the splashdown :(). Wild Eagle is pretty good. It's relaxing, not intense in my opinion. It swoops and soars pretty much like riding along with an eagle... although I'm pretty sure I've never seen a bald eagle fly upside down...

Ahhh...stop being a weinie. I bet GatorGirl will ride it with me.

Note - if you ride with me - there's no such thing as too fast. It's like the washer on spin cycle if you ride it with me. Bwhahahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! No trim brakes on Lemon Twist! If you don't watch it, you might dare-to-fly right out of the cup.

Now I want to ride it with you! :D

• Like 4