Dollywood-Trip tips?

Ahhh...stop being a weinie. I bet GatorGirl will ride it with me.

Yes, she would. When I told Mrs. Gator & GatorGirl about that, they said they rode Tip Top with you loved it.

And I should amend my statement about that being the only time I've had to sit down after a ride to recuperate... that's actually the only time after one ride cycle. I also had to sit down after doing two back-to back cycles on Howler at Idlewild, while the Gatorettes went on for a third. I guess they just have a better capacity for spinning than I do!

At about 1:45 in this video, you can see me and dare-to-fly on Tip Top at Stricker's Grove. We're the ones spinning so fast the car's about to fly off. :lol:

And just think. Most of the time, Tip Top is not even that easy to spin fast.

Gator - Apparently I went over your capacity and incapacitated you temporarily. :)

• Like 2

If you are going to be there two days or more, buy a season pass. It's cheaper than 2 days worth of tickets. You can save on parking by turning down Teaster Ln and parking at Patriot Park for free, then riding one of the Pigeon Forge trolleys in. It costs 50 cents per person each way, so if it's a really big group of you it won't be worth it, but 4 people or less would be cheaper...

Since you work at Dollywood and are very knowledgable about the park, I have a few questions. I haven't been in a few years, but I decided to buy season passes this year. Can you tell me about the Season Pass Preview Day on March 22nd? What are the hours? How crowded is it compared to the Public Opening on the 23rd? I have a friend on the bigger side (he's about 6'5" and a little heavy), will he have any trouble fitting on the Dizzy Disk or the Mountain Slidewinder? I've heard that the seats might be uncomfortable for some and wondered.

Thanks for your help and useful tips!

If you are going to be there two days or more, buy a season pass. It's cheaper than 2 days worth of tickets. You can save on parking by turning down Teaster Ln and parking at Patriot Park for free, then riding one of the Pigeon Forge trolleys in. It costs 50 cents per person each way, so if it's a really big group of you it won't be worth it, but 4 people or less would be cheaper...

Since you work at Dollywood and are very knowledgable about the park, I have a few questions. I haven't been in a few years, but I decided to buy season passes this year. Can you tell me about the Season Pass Preview Day on March 22nd? What are the hours? How crowded is it compared to the Public Opening on the 23rd? I have a friend on the bigger side (he's about 6'5" and a little heavy), will he have any trouble fitting on the Dizzy Disk or the Mountain Slidewinder? I've heard that the seats might be uncomfortable for some and wondered.

Pretty sure preview day hours are 10-7 but they aren't really posted anywhere. I can confirm on Monday. Preview day will be less crowded than opening day. It's hard to guess what the crowds will be like, as it largely depends on weather. 2011's preview day was very moderate with few lines, but opening day was very busy because the weather was beautiful. 2012 was very busy both days because we were opening a brand new B&M wing rider and the weather was fairly nice. In 2010, both days were deserted because it was rainy and cold.

As far as your friend fitting, Slidewinder doesn't even have restraints. They are a custom built boat that's more like a mat. He should have no problem. Dizzy Disk, in my opnion, is uncomfortable for everyone regardless of size because the restraints are rather awkward. The two rides I would say he should be concerned about are Mystery Mine and Wild Eagle. They are a similar size to Drop Tower's restraints. Also, Wild Eagle has a maximum height of 6'6" and most people who are close to that height have a difficult time getting in because of their shoulders.

Pretty sure preview day hours are 10-7 but they aren't really posted anywhere. I can confirm on Monday. Preview day will be less crowded than opening day. It's hard to guess what the crowds will be like, as it largely depends on weather. 2011's preview day was very moderate with few lines, but opening day was very busy because the weather was beautiful. 2012 was very busy both days because we were opening a brand new B&M wing rider and the weather was fairly nice. In 2010, both days were deserted because it was rainy and cold.

As far as your friend fitting, Slidewinder doesn't even have restraints. They are a custom built boat that's more like a mat. He should have no problem. Dizzy Disk, in my opnion, is uncomfortable for everyone regardless of size because the restraints are rather awkward. The two rides I would say he should be concerned about are Mystery Mine and Wild Eagle. They are a similar size to Drop Tower's restraints. Also, Wild Eagle has a maximum height of 6'6" and most people who are close to that height have a difficult time getting in because of their shoulders.

But you'll have no trouble at all with either of my rides - TN Tornado and Blazing Fury

• Like 2

But you'll have no trouble at all with either of my rides - TN Tornado and Blazing Fury

I love the Blazing Fury. I know it's cheesy and not as fast or scary as others, but it's just a great classic.

Thanks for the answers you guys, they're really helpful :). Can't wait to visit!

• Like 3

Dare-to-fly. So Lemon Twist is one not to miss??

I will be there on the second week of June, I might need a ride partner,

I hear you can quite a "spin" on it, maybe rumors?

Just let me know when you'll be there, and I'll be glad to give you one ride on Lemon Twist. I limit myself one ride a day - my arms and fingers are really, REALLY sore after a ride on it. Plus, I end up exhausted!

• Like 5

Dare-to-fly. So Lemon Twist is one not to miss??

I will be there on the second week of June, I might need a ride partner,

I hear you can quite a "spin" on it, maybe rumors?

Just let me know when you'll be there, and I'll be glad to give you one ride on Lemon Twist. I limit myself one ride a day - my arms and fingers are really, REALLY sore after a ride on it. Plus, I end up exhausted!

Just to be fore-warned, I am 6'4 270 with a lot of upper body strength. Just sayin'. LOL

I never start until the ride does. If I do, I end up exhausted before the ride actually begins and then it's not as much fun.

I will NOT get exhausted before the ride starts. Just saying

Then you're not putting enough effort into spinning. Tee hee!

You two are just going around in circles.

Terp, whose head is spinning.

We like to go around in circles...as fast as ever we can. Do you need to sit on the bench for a while there, Terpy?

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it would be to ride Thunderhead and Wild Eagle as many times as possible and take tons of pics.

My pick would be Thunderhead and Tennessee Tornado. Eagle's good, but I still prefer Tornado. Also, a trip to Dollywood is not complete without a ride on the Fury.

• Like 3

If and when I go, I will be referring to this more often. Although I do expect a foggy mountain breakdown, or is it smoky? With that, I would also like to go to the waterpark, I have heard that it is not that bad, and themed well.

Great tips!

We are also planning to visit Pigeon Forge in mid June. How crowded is the park on a Friday?

We probably won't ride a lot of rides but plan to ride some of them.

I have read that lines can be very long even for shows and food - is that true?

I've also read that food in the park is very pricey. I can live with that since everyone raves about the food there.

I just want to make sure we don't regret getting in the park only to find it to be too crowded to do much of anything.

Thanks!

Friday in mid-June will be busy. Definitely get a Q2Q. It's $15 per person plus tax. If you buy a gold pass, the discount applies to it also. It will be more useful for shows than anything (guarantees a seat, and in the best section of the theater), but rides will line up as well. Eagle and Mystery Mine will hit hour-plus waits in the summer. However, a completely full-to-the-midway queue on Thunderhead is only about 20-30 minutes so don't freak out if you see that. Reserve Mystery Mine and wait for Thunderhead.

The "smoke" of the Smoky Mountains is usually low-hanging clouds or a misty fog. They are often covered in haze during the summer, unfortunately, due to the high traffic pollution in the area.

• Like 1