Geauga Lake land will be sold -- in pieces

...Uh huh.

Who is speaking here? The town's consultant who developed the town's restrictions.

Why? Either the deal is about to fall through and this is an attempt to pressure Meijer not to drop out or Meijer demanded this explanation after the town's blabbermouths were making Meijer look bad.

Some demands were dropped? That could be 1 or 2 out of 37--and the town could be saving face.

Meijer has the upper hand here. An empty lot. No other potential known retail. Meijer can go anywhere it wants. The town wants them desperately. There is empty retail built space in that county, in all of Ohio.

Read the first paragraphs again.

Ask who, why?

Someone is trying to keep a deal together.

Negotiations are not typically conducted in newspapers. Unless someone is desperate and afraid. Someone is. It isn't Meijer.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Given how many hoops they've had to jump through given they're buying a parking lot only, I wouldn't be surprised if they just abandon it and move elsewhere. However, if they're willing to develop here, they have reason to. They are a highly profitable and successful business, so wherever they develop, they have good reason to. But I wouldn't be surprised if there is some strain in this relationship.

• Like 4

HAH, Oh the residents make me laugh

http://www.cleveland.com/west-geauga/index.ssf/2015/12/bainbridge_residents_give_wish.html#incart_2box

Their wish list is such an utter joke. Maybe if you didn't hate the park like you stated you did back in the day and help it grow and develop a tourism destination, it alongside with the supersized growth induced by SIX, the park may have thrived...

Now, enjoy your lake of footers.

• Like 7

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Man starts GoFundMe to bring back Geauga Lake

“So far, there are no donors to the GoFundMe.”

http://fox8.com/2018/02/27/man-starts-gofundme-to-bring-back-geauga-lake/

As commendable as that is, I am not seeing that growing to the 20 to 50 mill needed just to start.

@King Ding Dong you donating the first 1 million?

• Like 1
    • Haha 2

The page is up to $689 now, after the media publicity. The money is being donated to a yet-to-be-named charity "in case the rehabilitation of Geauga Lake does not come to fruition".

Cedar Fair still owns most of the site, more than 10 years after the park closed. Though I appreciate this guy's enthusiasm, even if he had the money, it would be very unlikely that they would allow an acquirer of the land to develop a new amusement park there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chugh43 said:

I don't think I'd be okay with the $ not really having a plan if not getting enough. Sure, it could go to a charity, but who's to say the charity isn't his pocket? 

He mentions in an update he'll be revealing the "exit plan" charity on Tuesday. Even with a good charity though, he's not getting me. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rcwizard13 said:

He mentions in an update he'll be revealing the "exit plan" charity on Tuesday. Even with a good charity though, he's not getting me. 

Right....I mean if I want to donate to that charity, I'll do it on my own dime, on my own will. As petty as it sounds, I don't want some unknown person to me, to make a donation with my money (doubtful it'd would be on my behalf). 

I hate to say it, but I don't feel like this guy is very well educated on the property, the history (of the post-Geauga Lake days) and the overall world of the area. It'd make sense if he were proposing to open a park like Geauga Lake elsewhere. 

I don't know him personally, haven't looked into him either, but I doubt his background is in building/running amusement parks. I'd think about giving money to someone who has a history of reviving/building amusement parks, but not to some random guy on the internet who thinks it's a good idea.

• Like 3

A local park could maybe thrive around there.

Here in Cincy we have one that’s small only a handful of rides. Many feel if Americans had an effort it could have survived. It’s all about knowing your audience and catering to that audience. If you don’t you fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk