Reds Hall of Fame Grille

Colonel_SoB_fan

Reds and Rivertown don't go together? One look at Mr. Redleg's Mustache and you think of the turn of the century. There's Steamship smoke stacks in the stadium. Reds and river whatever go together great.

As for meeting Rose, I never have, sorry he wasn't the greatest, I've met Bench and Joe Nuxhall quite a few times, they are/were sweeties.

• Like 3

Reds and Rivertown don't go together? One look at Mr. Redleg's Mustache and you think of the turn of the century. There's Steamship smoke stacks in the stadium. Reds and river whatever go together great.

As for meeting Rose, I never have, sorry he wasn't the greatest, I've met Bench and Joe Nuxhall quite a few times, they are/were sweeties.

That's the first time I have ever heard Bench referred to as a sweetie. I have heard a lot of horror stories. Can't really repeat the things I have heard him called.

Pete Rose is beyond embraced by Reds fans,we love him! He bet on baseball because he had a gambling problem,he did it with a pure heart and never for the Reds to lose,but he still messed up.I think he's payed his price by now and baseball should embrace him again. Thats just how I feel.

Not all Reds fans love Rose. I have meet him two times and he was not very nice.

I had the pleasure of walking around with Pete Rose and George Foster when I worked in security a few years back. Pete and George were there to give a Q&A at KI. It was a great experience and I got to talk to both of them candidly throughout the day. My favorite piece of the conversation was when Pete asked me if he should trade his 3 year old Bentley in on a brand new Bentley. My response was "You don't have to trade it in you can just give it to me". Pete and George got a good laugh out of that one. I would describe Pete as more cocky than anything, esp with his gator skin boots on and his matching ball cap!

• Like 1

I wonder if they will keep the Grille open after the park closes if the Reds are still playing? Games in extra innings,sorry everybody get out! :P

Doubtful, they'd have to stay open awfully late for those mid-week Reds games on the West coast that don't end until 2:00 am east coast time.

• Like 1

Pete Rose is beyond embraced by Reds fans,we love him! He bet on baseball because he had a gambling problem,he did it with a pure heart and never for the Reds to lose,but he still messed up.I think he's payed his price by now and baseball should embrace him again. Thats just how I feel.

Not all Reds fans love Rose. I have meet him two times and he was not very nice.

I had the pleasure of walking around with Pete Rose and George Foster when I worked in security a few years back. Pete and George were there to give a Q&A at KI. It was a great experience and I got to talk to both of them candidly throughout the day. My favorite piece of the conversation was when Pete asked me if he should trade his 3 year old Bentley in on a brand new Bentley. My response was "You don't have to trade it in you can just give it to me". Pete and George got a good laugh out of that one. I would describe Pete as more cocky than anything, esp with his gator skin boots on and his matching ball cap!

There is probably nothing Pete likes talking about more than the subject of Pete Rose. Even if most of his stories only contain a shed of truth, his memory is phenominal and he's always entertaining. However, perfect human being he is not.

I'll probably never eat here. Baseball and the Rivertown location doesn't really sit right with me.

And yet for years, as CoastersRZ pointed out earlier, there was a Reds shop located in Rivertown where the Olde Time Photos are now. The Reds having a presence in Rivertown is nostalgic! ;)

Back in 1982, my step-father saw him at Lebanon Raceway. He went up to Pete Rose and asked for his autograph, and from what my step-father said he wasn't very friendly at the time (who knows, he could have been having a bad night with the ponies). But our family now possesses Pete Rose's autograph on a Lebanon Raceway program, which is ironic given the trouble that gambling got him into a few years later. I wonder how much that is worth... we'll wait a few decades (once it gets passed down to me or GatorGirl) and take it on Antiques Roadshow (I love that show).

I hope that the "full service" is truly a sit down, waiter type experience. The food choices sound exactly like what Rivertown Junction had in years prior, which makes me curious as to what it really is. Maybe Don can make this clearer?

Rivertown Junction didn't have ribs and pulled pork on it's buffet. When that building was Wings Diner, and before that, Columbia Palace, it had those items but was counter service. Maybe that is what you were referring to.

• Like 2

That's the first time I have ever heard Bench referred to as a sweetie. I have heard a lot of horror stories. Can't really repeat the things I have heard him called.

Sorry to hear that.

I wonder if they will keep the Grille open after the park closes if the Reds are still playing? Games in extra innings,sorry everybody get out! :P

Doubtful, they'd have to stay open awfully late for those mid-week Reds games on the West coast that don't end until 2:00 am east coast time.

I wouldnt expect them to stay open on a 10pm west coast game on a tuesday,im talking about a game in progress when the park is shutting down,im sure their sorting all this out now. All the talk of Pete and Johnny being great or a jerk,Im only speaking of what was done on the field;I know they have good days and bad days just like the rest of us.I know Pete was loved by his teamates and he did call Eric Davis the best player he ever seen;so he cant be 100% full of himself. :P I know I see several #14 jerseys when I attend the games!

• Like 1

As much as I do agree that Rose belongs in Cooperstown, he dug his own grave.

Fay Vincent, MLB commissioner during the Rose scandal, knew he was 100% guilty. Rose knew he was 100% guilty. Vincent simply drew a line in the sand and gave Rose an ultimatum, come clean or face a lifetime ban.

Rose took the lifetime ban. He deserves exactly what he asked for.

• Like 3

Pete has his issues, but as far as I'm concerned there is a lot worse in the HOF already.

Not sure what us worse than gambling, but that is your call. :)

The 1919 Chicago Black Sox paved the way for gambling to be treated as the # 1 unforgivable sin in sports.

Pete's only saving grace was that he didn't bet against his team.

If he would have just came clean, there is no doubt he would not only be in the HoF, but he would have been managing again.

• Like 3

I believe that whatever he chose, he would still be given a lifetime ban. As far as I am concern, Pete did not ever take drugs to enhance his abilities like current players are doing or have done. He was not a drunk and get into fights some the HOF have done. But we have players that have or are taking steroids and other drugs and they are still either playing or are still eligible for the HOF. He did not bet against the Reds and did not throw games as the Blacksox players did. Look at players that have abused cocaine and given lots of chances and are still in the good graces of the game as far as marketing and HOF are concerned. If Hank Arron had been playing today and broke the Babe's record now, he would had been accused of using enhancing drugs for his achievements. In my opinion, the likes of Bonds, Sosa should be banned for life for their steroid drug use. But because of Rose's being banned for life, he can not attend on field functions without the approval of MLB, like in the case of the greatest 100 players event. The Reds have been granted the All Star game for 2015 and unless MLB approves, Rose can not be included in the on field activities. They can't even market his likeness or jerseys featuring Rose's #14 on it. He would make a great radio color person but because of the MLB ban, he can't. He should be allowed to be voted into the HOF and if they want to continue the ban from managing or having a part in the on field coaches, so be it. But his jerseys and posters will be on display at the Reds Grill for all to see.

• Like 1

As much as I do agree that Rose belongs in Cooperstown, he dug his own grave.

Fay Vincent, MLB commissioner during the Rose scandal, knew he was 100% guilty. Rose knew he was 100% guilty. Vincent simply drew a line in the sand and gave Rose an ultimatum, come clean or face a lifetime ban.

Rose took the lifetime ban. He deserves exactly what he asked for.

Actually Bart Giamatti was the commissioner during the Rose scandal in 1989, then he died 8 days later of a heart attack after the banishment. Fay Vincent was just connected to the scandal..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commissioner_of_Baseball#A._Bartlett_Giamatti_.281989.29

• Like 1

He broke baseballs cardinal rule, which states, "Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible." (Major League Rule 21)

www.cfif.org/.../pete_rose_reinstatement. ...

• Like 1

The rule should be amended to include any player who takes illegal and or drugs to enhance their performance should be banned for life also and all records not be recognized. This would make the likes of Bonds and company included in the lifetime ban and ban on all marketing endeavors, just like Rose.