Fast Lane "Plus" Comes to some of the Cedar Fair Parks

CoasterGeek101

I had just noticed this at Cedar Point, but now I realize that pretty much all of the parks are doing this. Cedar Fair parks are now taking two of their most popular rides and forcing people to purchase a "upgrade" for their Fast Lane ticket that costs even more. Kings Island's Fast Lane Plus now includes Beast and Firehawk, you cannot ride these with regular Fast Lane. Who here thinks they are taking this too far?

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/things-to-do/fast-lane

• Like 1

Its like all businesses, nickel and diming, everything (I call it the airline affect), its sounds crazy but making bigger profits for the companies.

From amusement parks, to movie theatres, seems the thing that is in is charging more for some type of premium service.

Then the parents of today has to explain that if you pay more, you can sit together, pass others in line, get a better seat.

I'm ready for front row all access seating, you pay 20 bucks for the day for front row.

Goodness.

• Like 1

I still don't understand why Congo Falls, Dodgem, Monster, Shake Rattle & Roll, Scrambler and Viking Fury need a fast pass lane. I also think it would have made much more sense to put Diamondback on the "plus" one instead of Firehawk.

Next thing you know they'll start giving Fast Pass Plus customers their own line so they can jump ahead of regular Fast Pass customers...

• Like 4

I understand Firehawk, as it is a low capacity ride to begin with. This would limit some of the Fast Lane use at this ride which already doesn`t get great through put.

The Plus option allows the park to recoup more money. How long before we start having to go to a pay per ride option again?

They claim that there is no impact on the typical park guest who doesnt buy Fast Lane. I don`t buy that for one second. It will result in longer lines for those non-Fast Lane carrying people. If a ride only holds 20 people per train, and there are 100 people in line in front of you, you will be the first person on the 6th train. However, if 20 people use Fast Lane when you are in line, that means you will now be on the 7th train instead of the 6th, thus making you wait longer. While the load time may only be a few minutes, it will add to the wait time, and a few minutes here and there can add up quick.

That being said, I have used Fast Pass at Cedar Point and Carowinds (both on busy Saturdays), to maximize my visit and avoid waiting in time. Was it worth the price? I`d say yes, because we were only there for one day. It is a way for the park`s to capture some excess money. I just think the execution at times is lacking. Especially where the standby lines and Fast Lane. Whether we like it or not, Fast Lane is here to stay.

• Like 6

CoastersRZ, I never had a problem with Fast Lane. But Fast Lane Plus is just stupid. Two more rides to skip in line for an extra price? Why?

^That's what they should do - Fast Lane lets you only ride the ride once, while with Fast Lane Plus, you can ride any ride unlimited times.

• Like 6

I wondered if this would happen, only because of Gatekeeper. Despite all the assertions that the general public were somehow going to revolt and purposefully clog queue lines all day long just to be destructive, nothing bad ever happened. However, imagining Cedar Point during the middle of the summer when you will face 2, 3, 4 hour lines for Millennium, Maverick, Dragster, and probably Gatekeeper, I think people really would flock to Fast Lane and then marathon Gatekeeper. I think particularly of fans. Can't you imagine people from PointBuzz getting together and thinking, "Hey, free parking, free admission, might as well all get $50 each Fast Lanes and marathon Gatekeeper!"

This is a little incentive against that. Now, I do think that the "regular" Fast Lane should include ONE front-of-the-line pass on Gatekeeper, but that's a difficult system to enforce given Cedar Fair's few-steps-behind-ness in technology where they only have the wristband to go by.

Hadn't most people here decided that this was elitist and evil and wrong anyway? All that this "PLUS" feature has done is to even further remove it from most people's financial capability, thus meaning less people are using it. That is a good thing, yes? Besides, if you were in one of those Satuday in July lines for Gatekeeper and watched people with the $50 Fast Lane pass you over and over and over, you'd be miffed. Now, that won't happen.

• Like 2

CoastersRZ, you hit the nail on the head:

This DOES impact the regular guest. It just does, period. Without a specific computing system behind it and a particular percentage of seats set aside and reserved return times or virtual queueing, YES, it DOES affect the normal guest. I think their point is for it to work seamlessly and be more or less unnoticeable i.e. not having the lines merge at an unattended location causing strife for both parties and starting fights, not handing entire trains over to Fast Lane, etc.

And just like you said, as much as you may cringe at the idea of it being at your "home park," the fact of the matter is, you utilize it when you've only got one day somewhere. If we could look at this WITHOUT the lens of it being a place near and dear to our hearts, we'd see the ways it makes sense more, and see the ways that it doesn't make sense more clearly.

Son of Beast 2.0, I agree completely. Fast Lane is an elite service since it offers UNLIMITED rides. I would've expected that we'd see a DOWNGRADED option (one time per ride) before I would've expected that we'd see this. In other words, I thought Fast Lane would remain the premium option and that a lower-priced option would also appear. Instead, we get a premium version of a premium product - that's why this feels a little weird. But again I say, Cedar Fair is left a few steps behind competitors in terms of technology thanks to our former-CEO, so it's difficult to institute a system like Universal's where a computer can track and only allow one access. Because our system is wristbands, it's difficult to limit to one-time-per-ride.

Guest rcfreak339

If anything this just shortens the Fast Lane lines for both attractions. I see exactly why they did this: 1)Make more profit, 2)Calm the cry babies down by reducing the line.

Its a win-win. Chill.

• Like 6

I understand Firehawk, as it is a low capacity ride to begin with. This would limit some of the Fast Lane use at this ride which already doesn`t get great through put.

This, right here. I read about Cedar Point getting it before us, and my first through (as a person who doesn't buy FastLane) was "I sure hope Firehawk gets this!" I know when I was at Haunt last year, the line for Firehawk was a little over 2 hours, and according to the employee who stops the main line before they reach the station, she was telling everyone that even the FastLane line was about an hours wait.

Count me as one of the few who are happy to see this implemented.

Although, putting this on The Beast really doesn't make too much sense. I know the idea is to use this on your larger attractions, but The Beast has excellent capacity (so does Diamondback.) But then again, I don't know what ride with low capacity that I would select (maybe Flight of Fear.)

Guest Department47

I still don't understand why Congo Falls, Dodgem, Monster, Shake Rattle & Roll, Scrambler and Viking Fury need a fast pass lane.

Why not give them Fast Lane? It's easy to implement, typically cheap to maintain, and allows the park to advertise more Fast Lane attractions, making Fast Lane sound like a better deal and boosting sales.

I also think it would have made much more sense to put Diamondback on the "plus" one instead of Firehawk.

Diamondback is a great capacity coaster. Firehawk, on the other hand, is definitely not. This will help prevent hour-plus waits for the Fast Lane at Firehawk

CoastersRZ, I never had a problem with Fast Lane. But Fast Lane Plus is just stupid. Two more rides to skip in line for an extra price? Why?

Cause people will pay for it and it'll help prevent Fast Lane nightmares at Firehawk and The Beast.

I predict some very angry guests who, after buying regular Fast Lane, realize they can't use it at all on The Beast. It will be interesting to see how well this experiment goes over.

Depends on how well the park states that only Fast Lane plus includes The Beast and Firehawk. If it's clearly stated on signage and by park employees, it should keep the angry guests to a minimum.

If anything this just shortens the Fast Lane lines for both attractions. I see exactly why they did this: 1)Make more profit, 2)Calm the cry babies down by reducing the line.

Its a win-win. Chill.

Win-Win for who? Why do people need to chill about something they dont like where they spend their hard earned money? I would have been happy if they would have just raised fastlane passes all together to 60 dollars,this extra pay for 2 more rides comes across as greedy to me and I will not purchase FASTLANE at all this year! Thats roughly 500 dollars i spent on it last year that I wont this year,so thanks KI for saving my money! ;) First,cutting back ERT,now this CRAP!

I think I'll just stick to the regular Fast Lane pass, I'll just save The Beast and Firehawk for the end of the night. Last year I only rode each once anyways so it doesn't mean much to me unless I want to marathon those two.

I fear that as the season progresses we will see more rides added to the plus list.

The best way to deal with this new plus option is to not buy it. If the demand for this option is not what they think it would had been, they will soon modify it or do away with it. As for the Fast Lane itself, if I have a season pass for the entire season, I have plenty of time during the season to ride the coasters and I can use what I would had spent on the Fast Lane on other things.

• Like 2

I would imagine they chose The Beast over Diamondback for Fast Lane Plus due to the end of night flocking that comes with getting Beast night rides. Diamondback can also handle more people per hour than The Beast so the effects for non-users aren't magnified quite as much. Diamondback is the only newer (starting with Behemoth in 2008) mega in the Cedar Fair chain that is not on the Fast Lane Plus system (both Intimidators, Behemoth and Leviathan are all on Fast Lane Plus only).

Will there be an upgrade option for people who initially buy standard Fast Lane and then choose the Plus?

• Like 1

All great,keep telling them what a great choice it was and how wonderful this is,and how you can see why they would do this! Then watch every year how they keep sticking it to you more and more until your paying not only admission but to ride every ride! I regret ever spending a dime on fastlane now,im definetly not this year and I apologize to all of you who were against fastlane in the first place and predicted this CRAP happening!

• Like 1

I always laugh at the claim of, "The line will be longer if we have to wait on those who get in front of us using Fast Lane." If those people were to get in front of you in the regular line, your wait would be longer as well.

Everytime that I've been "skipped" by someone using Fast Lane, the ride attendants/hosts only let a certain amount of guests using Fast Lane board the ride then, they let the non-Fast Lane guests go through, then the repeat the process.

I thnk a lot of people are making a bigger deal out of this than it should be.

• Like 13

:rolleyes: Thats funny because I recall having fastlane and riding DB seven times in a row before a tall gentleman in a red hat even made it to the steps! You do have to wait longer!!! I also would be ok if they just would have raised the over all price,instead of this 2 ride upgrade crap! O.k,im done venting now! :) On a happy note, CP opening weekend here I come! :D

• Like 1