Fast Lane "Plus" Comes to some of the Cedar Fair Parks

CoasterGeek101

Guest rcfreak339

Wow! I never realized I was so much in the Minority on this issue....

That's because most people "get it" when it comes to Fastlane. You, clearly, do not.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Most people "Get it", the others simply don't.

• Like 2

Well,I know who will 'not' be getting fastlane money from myself! Fastlane for me is mostly about DB and The Beast,you take one away and "no thanks"! I completely agree with CP having Fastlane Plus.Kings Island,not so much. Hey,im not here to make friends or kiss any butt,thats just how I feel and Im not paying a plus just to ride The Beast.Im only up for Firehawk once every few visits,so that doesnt do me any good.On the other hand I hope I am one of those who "doesnt get it" so the park profits from it,I can only speak for my own wallet.

Guest rcfreak339

Isn't Fast Lane Plus even cheaper than Fast Lane was at the end of the season last year? I believe it was. To say that the park has "taken away" anything is beyond untrue. Just be thankful the park has even given you an option to take advantage of the system, something you (Jr for Birdy) apparently did a ton last year. Not all parks have this system and is very useful for those who don't visit the park as often as we do, but still want to experience as much as they can in one day; especially if it's a busy Saturday in July. Nonetheless it is also a huge money maker for the park, and doesn't effect other customer's experiences. Remember, Fast Lane is still new and it has taken a while to perfect, and it is still a long way from "perfect." But they sure are getting closer.

• Like 1

:rolleyes: Don could post their adding DB and FOF to the list and your the type who would give him a 'like' for it! Grow a pair,seriously! ;) I also spent a few grand at KI last year,so i dont really appreciate the words"take for granted", Im NOT CRYING,Im voicing my opinion! If you dont like it,then you dont cry about it,because your probably the one who buys a gold pass and spends nothing else at the park,then have the nerve to tell me how I should feel,when I dont care how you feel about the way I feel. :P:wacko:

No park can implement a Disney-like virtual queuing system (assigned return times) without paying hefty royalties to Disney, as they were granted a patent on the concept.

What? No. That's not true.

US Patent #6173209.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6173209

I do not think that means what you think it means.

There are tons of patents out there for virtual queuing systems. Disney is constantly obtaining patents for tech they may never use. But that doesn't prevent other companies from developing their own patents. They don't have to pay Disney royalties.

:rolleyes: Don could post their adding DB and FOF to the list and your the type who would give him a 'like' for it! Grow a pair,seriously! ;) I also spent a few grand at KI last year,so i dont really appreciate the words"take for granted", Im NOT CRYING,Im voicing my opinion! If you dont like it,then you dont cry about it,because your probably the one who buys a gold pass and spends nothing else at the park,then have the nerve to tell me how I should feel,when I dont care how you feel about the way I feel. :P:wacko:

You do realize rcfreak works at the park, right?
  • Like 3

:rolleyes: I hope he does,thats a great way to represent your company.I have my own business and I would never call a customer a crybaby if they dont agree with something. I will listen.I might not change the way I do things,but I might? I will atleast listen! Like I said before, CP definetly needs this system,and I will purchase it there.

No park can implement a Disney-like virtual queuing system (assigned return times) without paying hefty royalties to Disney, as they were granted a patent on the concept.

US Patent #6173209.

There are tons of patents out there for virtual queuing systems. Disney is constantly obtaining patents for tech they may never use. But that doesn't prevent other companies from developing their own patents. They don't have to pay Disney royalties.

It's true that patents usually start with claims so broad that they're unenforceable on their own. The claim of having some customers enter through a second queue would be a good example.

As far as I know, Disney is the only company with a virtual queuing system featuring assigned return times, one of the key claims in the patent I mentioned. This would seem to indicate that other players in the industry view that claim as valid.

The only true test of a patent's enforceability is in court, but few companies want to be on the receiving end of patent litigation.

• Like 2

Like I said before, CP definetly needs this system,and I will purchase it there.

Well you are in luck, CP will have this system as the rest of the Cedar Fair chain.

I can go to the park as often as I like, so Fast Lane doesn't really bother me, especially the Plus Option. In my opinion, it'll make the Fast Lane for Beast and Firehawk shorter, because people may not want to pay that extra fee. Although, I could be wrong, but if I'm wrong on that, the other Fast Lanes could be shorter due to people getting the value of their money on Beast and Firehawk. That being said, we won't know until we see it.

I'm not going to be upset about it because if I miss something because of Fast Lane Plus I can get it next time. I realize that many can't, and I'd encourage them to get the pass if they can afford it. Not only will it benefit their trip, but future trips in the following years as it brings in more finances for Capital Expenditures.

• Like 1

US Patent #6173209.

It's true that patents usually start with claims so broad that they're unenforceable on their own. The claim of having some customers enter through a second queue would be a good example.

As far as I know, Disney is the only company with a virtual queuing system featuring assigned return times, one of the key claims in the patent I mentioned. This would seem to indicate that other players in the industry view that claim as valid.

The only true test of a patent's enforceability is in court, but few companies want to be on the receiving end of patent litigation.

US Patent #6173209.

I don't think the patent is the issue. Other parks don't want to install and operate an expensive system with no revenues. They have chosen less expensive systems that generate revenues instead. Even Disney has been trying to monetize their system for years.

Would people rather have the parks continue to increase the price of season passes or have season passes that include greater perks at a greater price? Would people rather have the park raise the admission prices and do away with coupons as the means of raising revenues? Would people rather have the park introduce higher quality food at much higher prices than regular park food? If you were increase the price of admissions to higher levels, it would effect attendance levels as people would find other venues to spend their hard earned money. You can only increase the price of admission so much without anything to show for the increase like newer and more extreme rides that might only attract the segment of park goers that are fans of the mega coasters. Parks are going to areas to increase revenues that won't effect the price of admission and therefore hurt attendance levels. If I see long and longer lines for rides that might show people might be willing to spend a few dollars more to go to the front of the line by paying more for a limited number of enhanced ride tickets. Guests are always asking when are we going to get that mega or giga roller coaster that the other park has just constructed? It costs lots of dollars to design, construct and maintain rides and if you do not make a profit to build these rides, they won't get built. Parks are constantly conducting research as to what guests want and what they are willing to spend their dollars on. Be it higher admission prices, food, merchandise. and or other perks. Amusement parks are a business and like any business it must make money to pay for everything that makes it work without putting a burden on the guests that purchase their product. Parks have to be able to compete and if they do not bring in enough revenues, they will not build newer rides that guests want or desire. Or the guests will go to their competitors and spend their money. Then people will start to write how things are going down hill for this once great park and how the owners have neglected it.

^^^ Amen brother! I'm much happier with the season pass prices being lower and having the option. And I think (based on observation but certainly not scientific method) that most of these FL bucks come from teens with lots of disposable income and few true responsibilities, and vacationing folks looking to maximize 'throughput' in a day or two. The only time I think I've been delayed thus far, was at Halloween time, and the park is so crowded then that you just have to suck it up if you choose to go.

Spending money in the park is all about options - arcades, merchandise, food, and yes - Fastlane. I'll choose how to spend mine, and so will you, and we'll make the call based on perceived value, but the more options they afford, the better the profit is likely to be, and the sooner we'll see improvements!

I'm ready for opening day! :D

• Like 3

Six Flags uses the Q-Bot system, which can assign return to ride times and does use a second queue for entry.

Thank you. I'm surprised more people don't bring up the Six Flags system. Comparing Fast Lane to Disney is irrelevant, apples to oranges. Larger corporation with more capital who takes time to invest in doing things right the first time compared to regional company that changes on the fly.

Fast Lane isn't an issue, it's here to stay and won't be gone anytime soon. Not to mention, the park had a perk like this before. It's not "unfair," it's a tiered experience like the ones found at nearly any other entertainment venue.

The problem with Fast Lane is not its concept, but its execution. The system is operated horribly and sub par compared to industry standards. It's sad when Six Flags is doing something better than you. Wrist bands, unlimited rides and their lax policy on "capping" sales to keep impact down are all part of the problem.

Then again, why cap Fast Lane purchases when you can just say you do while spending very little to operate a system you're immensely profiting on?

One of the biggest dissappointments with Matt Ouimet is that he allows a system such as Fast Lane in its current state to exist. It could be operated so much better while delivering better value to those who purchase it and those who chose not to.

• Like 5

I haven't really read all of the previous pages on this, but I think I've made my voice known on this subject in the past. If it were up to me, I would

eliminate all Fast Lane's, Q-bot's, and Fast Pass skip the line systems everywhere! With maybe the exception of Disney. They do it right. Actually,

they're starting to go down, I've heard from a reliable friend who works there. He agrees with me, as a ride op employee that they are nothing but

a nuisance. I don't like them free, and I especially don't care for them as paid products! If you're not a season pass holder, and you pay the full admission

to get into one of the parks, you're paying twice, and in some cases maybe 3 times to get into the park if you buy one of those things! I would almost rather

go back to the good old days of allowing free admission to the parks and paying per ride, than having a system like this in place! They're just no good,

just no good. That goes for ALL parks in the world who use them, except maybe and just a maybe Disney World!

Guest rcfreak339

I can see it now:

"1 ride of Flight of Fear: $5."

What an awful idea at a park so large, truly awful. This would cause even greater outcry and corporate greed. Nothing compared to a Fast Lane system.

• Like 8

I can see it now:

"1 ride of Flight of Fear: $5."

What an awful idea at a park so large, truly awful. This would cause even greater outcry and corporate greed. Nothing compared to a Fast Lane system.

Apparently Roller Coaster Tycoon thinks that's okay.

• Like 5

I took my wife out for dinner tonight,and we talked about our summer plans! When I told her ERT was only thirty minutes, she said " so i have a few minutes to get starbucks coffee and then the park is open! She is not happy, Im going to have to talk her into KI passes this year! She doesnt care much about fastlane because were locals and we just wont buy it, Ki is not a destination vacation spot like most of you on here think! We will just spend that money in other places! KI should be taking care of us locals if they want our money,because nobody I know is traveling to Ohio for Kings Island! Yet, I graduated from O.S.U and several of my friends will pay anything for fastlane at CP!!!!! I think KI is making a big mistake,but im all for spending our summer at KI, but my wife feels cheated! We spent alot of money last year,and she doesnt feel appreciated,to be honest! Im gonna do my best to keep us at KI,BUT SHE IS NOT HAPPY!

I've mostly skimmed posts, and all I can say is, KI and CF are a business. They will do what they can to maximize revenue without alienating locals/loyal customers. I see no issue with the FLP at all, in fact I think it's smart if you are doing it for some parks.

I know people don't like FL but really, does it ever directly effect any of the experience you have at the park? Ever dive it's started I've neer had issues with it from a financial or a user standpoint, it's part of the business. Just be happy we have a park like KI to go to.

• Like 2

I just don't see why the big uproar. Its a business above all and that's how it should be run. They'll cut back on things from time to time and it might not be a popular decision(like the ERT) but it's what the company thinks will benefit them while still giving patrons perks and the ability to enjoy themselves. And to comment about KI being a vacation destination, it is for many people. Maybe not as big as a CP, but every year I meet people from all over the country that are visiting te park and things like the FLP are great for those people to experience the park fully.

• Like 1