Fast Lane "Plus" Comes to some of the Cedar Fair Parks

CoasterGeek101

If anything this just shortens the Fast Lane lines for both attractions. I see exactly why they did this: 1)Make more profit, 2)Calm the cry babies down by reducing the line.

Its a win-win. Chill.

No, actually its a Lose, Lose.. And both the loses go to John and Jane Parkgoer who cant afford it. Once again, the WhinePass is the Stupidest, greediest and Most ridiculous idea that Cedar Fair has ever come up with...Period...

I think it's hilarious that you are calling it a WhinePass because it brings the chain more money for Capital Improvements yet, you're calling it ridiculous, greedy, stupid and are saying the general park goer's can't afford it. Those who actually use Fast Lane, I can guarantee aren't whining about it.

The fact of the matter is, it's staying. Park Chains have a fast pass system across the country, they aren't going away. If you don't like the price for one, don't buy it. If you don't like the fact that you'll have to wait an extra train because someone decided to buy it to enhance their experience, then plan to go to the park on a generally known slow day (Monday-Thursdays generally).

I'm sorry, but it's time for a lot of people to pull up their big enthusiast panties and deal with it. As it's been mentioned before, numerous parks have a fast pass system of sorts. Many of them you have to pay extra for. Fast Lane is obviously a success for Cedar Fair and they are bringing it back for another season. I doubt it'll go anywhere for a while. They way I look at it, you either deal with it or you just don't go to the park if it's such a big deal to you. Complaining on KIC about Fast Lane is not going to get you anywhere especially when the complaining is about how rediculous, stupid, greedy, amoung various other things about something you do not have to participate in and generally have the ability to avoid "the heavy waits added due to" Fast Lane.

• Like 7

I think some of you guys are missing the point here. Cedar Fair is a business who has to make money to succeed. By offering this option to parkgoers, they're trying to make money in order to make their product better and to give you and me, parkgoers both, the "best day of the year." Sure, no one likes prices to be raised or marked up, but people will eventually buy it. For example, Chipotle raised their burrito prices 3(?) years ago by 30-40 cents. Sure, I wasn't happy about it, but my love of Chipotle burritos eventually won over and now I buy them again.

Also, a lot of you guys are mad about the price hike, but you don't have to buy it. Just because you attend the park on June 24th, 2013 doesn't mean you will be forced to purchase Fast Lane and Fast Lane Plus.

To summarize: CF is giving people the option to buy a paper wristband which gives you the opportunity to skip to the front of the line on two world-class rides for 10 dollars more than the original paper wristband for all of the other rides. People will buy it, and not everyone has to.

• Like 4

Benred23 is just voicing his opinion,I dont see why people have an issue with others voicing how they feel? Its just another reason our country is so great,a right to voice your opinion. I didnt like the idea of fastlane when it started,but my wife wouldnt ride any rides with me one day because it was to hot for her to wait in line,so now I love it! :P I just dont want it to get out of control. To quote my wife when I mentioned fastlane plus, "thats ridiculous"! Trust me, she doesnt normally agree with me,so some people aernt going to like it,but yet we will all live with it. I dont see any reason to get upset with people getting upset with something. :wacko: Other than that, im really itching to ride some coasters!

Guest Department47

And both the loses go to John and Jane Parkgoer who cant afford it.

What about John and Jane NotParkgoer who cannot even afford visiting the park? How is the price of admission fair to them?

More money you have to spend, more you're able to do. That's how amusement parks work, airlines work, that's how life works.

• Like 11

The fact that all of the poor people on here are able to go to KI in the first place makes me realize how reasonable KI's prices are. My last NFL experience was a hoot. All of these rich people out spent me and got to sit close to the field, as well as having their food and drink brought to them. Meanwhile, I had to stand in a mile long line for a $8 brew. They also paid more for parking,while us poor people had to walk a mile, up hill, both ways, to our car. But ya know what? Thats life babe, and I hated it so much that come next September,Im gonna do it again...even though the Bucs suck and are qb should be shown the door. Hey,did I ever tell you about the time at the airport where I had to wait for the first class people to be seated first?

That's not what Fast Lane is. Fast Lane is the equivalent of you buying a seat for a Bengals game, showing up for the game, and having an usher remove you from the seat, giving that seat to someone else, and telling you, "That guy slipped my a $50 for your seat, try again next week."

If you want to sit close to the action at any game, you will pay the price. it is a business and they are in business to make money. Higher salaries, rent and other expenses have to be paid for. How do you think the Miami Heat pays those multi million dollars of salary for those over priced players? If you think the park is over crowded and lines to roller coasters are way too long then the admission price is too cheap. Raise the admission price and the crowds will thin out and the lines will allow you to walk on. Easier to raise revenues by offering guests a Fast Lane at an up charge to avoid the long lines. Offer limited number of these. If everyone wants to ride a super duper roller coaster, offer a premium ticket for a limited number to ride. Supply and demand.

• Like 4

The fact that all of the poor people on here are able to go to KI in the first place makes me realize how reasonable KI's prices are. My last NFL experience was a hoot. All of these rich people out spent me and got to sit close to the field, as well as having their food and drink brought to them. Meanwhile, I had to stand in a mile long line for a $8 brew. They also paid more for parking,while us poor people had to walk a mile, up hill, both ways, to our car. But ya know what? Thats life babe, and I hated it so much that come next September,Im gonna do it again...even though the Bucs suck and are qb should be shown the door. Hey,did I ever tell you about the time at the airport where I had to wait for the first class people to be seated first?

That's not what Fast Lane is. Fast Lane is the equivalent of you buying a seat for a Bengals game, showing up for the game, and having an usher remove you from the seat, giving that seat to someone else, and telling you, "That guy slipped my a $50 for your seat, try again next week."
That is not what Fast Lane is about at all. It is about maximizing your day with as little impact to the regular guest as possible. Management did not design Fast Lane to impact you and only you. You need to keep in mind the program is still relatively new and there are still being tweaks made to the program to lessen the impact of Fast Lane.

If you really feel like the park is out to get you, to make you wait one train longer than you should have, I bet Guest Relations would love to hear about it.

But at KI it's a revolving seat. It comes around again.

When I see Fastlane wristbands, I see pavers, I see ride improvements, new restaurants, cleaner walkways. Look at how much the park has improved, and some of that money is coming from Fastlane.

For me, waiting in line is the same as it always was, except sometimes I get moved up the line to fill two seats in a car.

• Like 6

But at KI it's a revolving seat. It comes around again.

When I see Fastlane wristbands, I see pavers, I see ride improvements, new restaurants, cleaner walkways. Look at how much the park has improved, and some of that money is coming from Fastlane.

For me, waiting in line is the same as it always was, except sometimes I get moved up the line to fill two seats in a car.

It should be noted that CF is not alone in the "front of the line upcharge" when it comes to amusement parks.

I would personally like to see the data (and I would hope there is data) on Fast Lane vs. no Fast Lane option; which one the majority of guests want more.

It could be a great marketing strategy if the data shows a 50/50 split: "Come visit (insert park here) where we have no front of the line option like everyone else!"

• Like 2

If you want to sit close to the action at any game, you will pay the price. it is a business and they are in business to make money. Higher salaries, rent and other expenses have to be paid for. How do you think the Miami Heat pays those multi million dollars of salary for those over priced players? If you think the park is over crowded and lines to roller coasters are way too long then the admission price is too cheap. Raise the admission price and the crowds will thin out and the lines will allow you to walk on. Easier to raise revenues by offering guests a Fast Lane at an up charge to avoid the long lines. Offer limited number of these. If everyone wants to ride a super duper roller coaster, offer a premium ticket for a limited number to ride. Supply and demand.

As a long time Heat fan I have to disagree that the plays are overpaid. LBJ, D.Wade, C.Bosh and a few others all took reduced salaries so they could win multiple titles. Just look at all the money they bring into the NBA and areas near thier games. Most NBA tickets sell out when the Hear are in town which generates food and hotel sales for the cities.

• Like 3

As a long time Heat fan I have to disagree that the plays are overpaid. LBJ, D.Wade, C.Bosh and a few others all took reduced salaries so they could win multiple titles. Just look at all the money they bring into the NBA and areas near thier games. Most NBA tickets sell out when the Hear are in town which generates food and hotel sales for the cities.

All sports players are overpaid. A reduced salary from $15 million/ year to $13 million/ year should not be praised.

Now if all the players & owners reduced their salaries by 50% so that the average Joe could afford the games, I would praise that.

Idiots, like myself, pay a premium to watch them both in person & at home.

• Like 3

The biggest issue that the Fast Lane system has is that most Fast Lane users tend to congregate at the newest and most popular rides.

The fact that some Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks have decided to charge extra to cut the lines on some select rides is enough evidence that many people utilize the skip-the-line systems to maximize utility on a couple of popular rides and perhaps give a cursory ride to the other rides "just because". Six Flags frequently limits quick queueing new coasters in their debut year to Platinum Flash Pass holders only (Dare Devil Dive at SFOG, X-Flight at Great America and Goliath at SFNE) or by requiring an upgrade fee just for one ride (X2 and Lex Luthor: DOD at Magic Mountain). Kings Dominion had to limit Volcano Fast Lane access for much of the season last year. Millennium Force and Maverick Fast Lane queues frequently backed up last year. Cedar Fair simply took a page out of the Six Flags book by instituting a "Plus" version to help deal with that issue.

If I remember correctly the limit of Fast Lane passes that could be sold on any given day is up to 20% of the forecasted attendance that day. Six Flags sells out of the Flash Pass much more frequently at their larger parks than Cedar Fair parks do with Fast Lane passes. Selling lots of Fast Lane passes is far less problematic IMO because the longer Fast Lane waits on busier days at the popular rides help self-regulate the amount of Fast Lane users running through lines assuming a proper balance is maintained.

The overlooked thing with the number of Fast Lane passes sold isn't actually the number of passes sold but the proportion of Fast Lane users they let in a ride line at a time. If the park is keeping the 25% Fast Lane user/75% non-Fast Lane user mix most rides seem to be using then the park can sell as many Fast Lane bracelets as they want, but adjusting that mix towards the Fast Lane users when Fast Lane lines start to get long is a recipe for snails pace standby lines. I would argue that this is the largest determining factor as far as how quickly standby lines move. The park should always make sure that only a reasonable percentage of Fast Lane users are let in to a station at a time.

I think the Fast Lane Plus option is one of the more balanced systems out there. I don't anticipate too much change in the pricing of Fast Lane but I wouldn't be surprised if additional tweaks are made to both the pricing and the rides on the Plus version, particularly at Cedar Point. When I saw that Canada's Wonderland would limit Fast Lane access on Behemoth and Leviathan to Fast Lane Plus only it actually made me more willing to spend the cash because I know that fewer people will be clogging the Fast Lane line for those coasters now, and the same will likely be happening at TTD and Gatekeeper at Cedar Point. It's a step in the right direction.

• Like 9

Listen.. Pertaining to the Bengal comparison... Nobody is taking your seat from you. You pay your general admission,go stand in line. You will ride,just might take longer. Youll get a seat at the game..just might be farther away.

I Apologize for my post about the WhinePass but thats just how I feel about it. I know Cedar Fair is just a Corporation and the #1 Priority is Making Money, No Matter what they may say. It just infuriates me. I Always Use Disney as a Perfect example of How a system like this should have been Implemented. Use your park Ticket/Season Pass, swipe it, and return at the time printed on your ticket. No Extra Charge and a big service to its Guests. All FastLane does is Reward people for having the ability to pay extra Money to Cut in front of everyone and spit on the ones who couldnt afford it. And dont spout the whole, "If ya cant afford one, dont buy it" garbage. This does nothing more than Increase the wait times for the ones who are already in line. I will NEVER Buy one of these things... Once again, Sorry for the Rant, Just voicing my opinion. Im generally a Go with the flow kinda person, but this just gets me..

Disney & Cedar Fair run different business models.

Disney Parks cater mainly to people that make a once or twice in a lifetime visit with their young children. Trips that are often planned out and budget months, if not years in advance.

Cedar Fair mainly caters to people that attend every year, often more than once a season.

If you ran a Cedar Fair style upgraded flash pass at Disney, I suspect you'd get many people to factor in the upgraded fast pass into their "cost of vacation" such that the fast pass would serve little use.

I visited Kings Island about once a week last year, fast pass was in effect all season long, I never noticed any fast pass user spitting on anyone as they moved to the front of the line. In fact, most of the time, there was little to no line in the fast pass line. One thing I've learned, is to never say never. I may likely never purchase a fast pass at King's Island; if the line for The Beast is too long this week for repeat rides, well there is always next week, however if I were to visit Cedar Pointe, I may consider a fast pass option to get as much bang for my buck for a park I haven't visited in about 8 years.

Fast pass does more than "reward people for having extra money" it gives the park goer an option to upgrade their experience. I'm willing to BET there was more than 1 person who cut something out of their weekly budget for a couple of months in order to purchase the fast pass at King's Island for their once a year family visit. I never purchased one last year, but IIRC the cost of a fast pass was roughly the cost of a family diner out to a mid level restaurant (like a chili's or friday's or something), so that if the family of 4 cut out a trip to some local establishement once a month from march thru june, they fit the purchase of 4 fast passes into their once a year trip to King's Island at the end of the July.

• Like 4

Listen.. Pertaining to the Bengal comparison... Nobody is taking your seat from you. You pay your general admission,go stand in line. You will ride,just might take longer. Youll get a seat at the game..just might be farther away.

I Apologize for my post about the WhinePass but thats just how I feel about it. I know Cedar Fair is just a Corporation and the #1 Priority is Making Money, No Matter what they may say. It just infuriates me. I Always Use Disney as a Perfect example of How a system like this should have been Implemented. Use your park Ticket/Season Pass, swipe it, and return at the time printed on your ticket. No Extra Charge and a big service to its Guests. All FastLane does is Reward people for having the ability to pay extra Money to Cut in front of everyone and spit on the ones who couldnt afford it. And dont spout the whole, "If ya cant afford one, dont buy it" garbage. This does nothing more than Increase the wait times for the ones who are already in line. I will NEVER Buy one of these things... Once again, Sorry for the Rant, Just voicing my opinion. Im generally a Go with the flow kinda person, but this just gets me..
It's funny you call Fast Lane the "WhinePass" because

A. Your label fits Disney's line jumping system more than it does Kings Island's and

B. You're the person whining.

Cedar Fair's number one priority is guest safety, not money. Businesses that think otherwise typically do not last long in the market. And the whole "it's making me wait longer!" bit everyone complains about? Any type of virtual queuing system will make you wait longer than you want. Disney's Fast Pass makes standby users wait longer to allow Fast Pass users to board any ride. You don't notice the difference because to you, it's always been this way.

Just to clear things up, benred, Fast Pass is included with Disney Parks admission. It is not "free." In fact, getting admission and Fast Lane is cheaper than going to Disney.

• Like 3

If anything this just shortens the Fast Lane lines for both attractions. I see exactly why they did this: 1)Make more profit, 2)Calm the cry babies down by reducing the line.

Its a win-win. Chill.

No, actually its a Lose, Lose.. And both the loses go to John and Jane Parkgoer who cant afford it. Once again, the WhinePass is the Stupidest, greediest and Most ridiculous idea that Cedar Fair has ever come up with...Period...

Wow - I just couldn't disagree more. I can afford it, but choose not to pay for these things.

If it's unpopular it'll be dropped, but lots of things in life are easier for those with wealth and harder for those without. That's why I took the college prep classes when I would have preferred shop class, and why my folks sacrificed to send me to school when my Dad lost his job and Mom went to school. After that investment, I have a little coin to spare after what I donate to charity and the 'contribution' I make to government. Tomorrow through a stroke of fate, I could be far more poor than I am today, so I weigh every purchase.

At the end, these additional revenues, paid by folks willing to shell out the extra dough, pay for new rides, improved park experience, etc. - it has little to do with 'greed' and far more to do with the business bottom-line. I drive 40 miles each way, each time I bring my boys and I to the park, and it's STILL a great buy.

• Like 5

Wow! I never realized I was so much in the Minority on this issue. Of course when I Say "Spit Upon" I didnt mean it Literally, I ment more in a "Ha ha, I get to get in front of you so Neener Neener" Kinda way. I drive about 35 Miles each way myself, and Ive learned that Waiting in Line at a park like Kings Island is just to be expected. People shouldnt be Given the Option to pay extra Money to get in Front of people. Thats just my opinion and it always will be. Its Nothing but Greed on Cedar Fair's side and It puts the Normal park goer in a "2nd place" position behind the Fast Lane users. In Response to the criticism about my comparison to Fast pass at Disney, Yes it may be just "Included" with park admission, But Say Disney Included a "Fast Pass Plus" that allowed people to pay extra Money to get in front of the Normal Fast Pass users. That would be screwing over both the Regular people waiting in line and the regular fast pass users. Im going off on a Tangent, but you see what Im saying... Once again, I know Its a Business and I know they need to make Money. But I would take Satisfied Customers who are happy with the product and tend to come back and spend more money as opposed to people who come and spend a whole bumch of money once and never come back..

But I would take Satisfied Customers who are happy with the product and tend to come back and spend more money as opposed to people who come and spend a whole bumch of money once and never come back..

You mean like funperks, which is aimed to reward the people how come to the park often and spend more money as oppossed to the people that come once a year, spend a whole bunch of money and never come back? Fast pass isn't about greed, its about giving their customers an option to alter their experience while minimizing the effect on those that choose to bypass the system. If you want a new 300 foot coaster, the park is going to need to turn a profit, otherwise the best they can do is the status quo.

Cedar Fair's primary goal, is the same as any well run company...namely to keep their customer's happy. If you can't keep your customer's happy, you end up hurting the bottom line. Fast Pass gives its customer's a chance to enhance their experience, one that their customers can take advantage of, or pass on. I've never noticed significantly longer wait times for any ride b/c a bunch of fast pass users were hoarding a ride. Since the new CEO has taken over, communication has improved, a lot of the small things have been handled better, they provided options to enhance the experience of all different types of guests.

• Like 4

I told Snow woman about Fast Pass Plus and she summed it up perfectly: I asked, "What do you think about this at KI (our home park that we go to all summer)?" she said, "This is ridiculous! How dare KI add extra charges, shame on them. we'll never use them." I then said, "They're also doing it at CP with TTD and Gatekeeper. When we go this summer, do you want to purchase the fast pass plus there?" she said, "ABSOLUTELY!!!" That sums it up to me.

• Like 8

Would people rather have the parks continue to increase the price of season passes or have season passes that include greater perks at a greater price? Would people rather have the park raise the admission prices and do away with coupons as the means of raising revenues? Would people rather have the park introduce higher quality food at much higher prices than regular park food? If you were increase the price of admissions to higher levels, it would effect attendance levels as people would find other venues to spend their hard earned money. You can only increase the price of admission so much without anything to show for the increase like newer and more extreme rides that might only attract the segment of park goers that are fans of the mega coasters. Parks are going to areas to increase revenues that won't effect the price of admission and therefore hurt attendance levels. If I see long and longer lines for rides that might show people might be willing to spend a few dollars more to go to the front of the line by paying more for a limited number of enhanced ride tickets. Guests are always asking when are we going to get that mega or giga roller coaster that the other park has just constructed? It costs lots of dollars to design, construct and maintain rides and if you do not make a profit to build these rides, they won't get built. Parks are constantly conducting research as to what guests want and what they are willing to spend their dollars on. Be it higher admission prices, food, merchandise. and or other perks. Amusement parks are a business and like any business it must make money to pay for everything that makes it work without putting a burden on the guests that purchase their product. Parks have to be able to compete and if they do not bring in enough revenues, they will not build newer rides that guests want or desire. Or the guests will go to their competitors and spend their money. Then people will start to write how things are going down hill for this once great park and how the owners have neglected it.

• Like 6

The purpose of Disney's FastPass has always been to make Disney money. It does not, as you say, benefit all guests. In fact, many guests are harmed by FastPass because it inflates all the standby lines. FastPass benefits those who know how to use it. Those who know how to use it efficiently benefit the most.

Disney's original idea was that if guests weren't required to stand in lines, they would spent more time shopping and dining. Of course it didn't turn out that way. Instead, while the virtual queue held a guest's place in line, most guests queued up for something else. Somehow, Disney had not considered that likely outcome. They have been looking for a way to monetize FastPass ever since.

They have done an amazing job of marketing FastPass as a free benefit to guests. But it's not free at all. The operating costs are included in your park ticket - passed on to everyone whether they utilize the system or not. Now, Disney is rolling out FastPass+. Rumors are that it will be monetized in some way as a way to entice guests to stay on property.

My point is, FastPass should not be held up as the perfect system. It has a lot of flaws. It's just that the flaws probably don't bother you. Odds are, you're reaping the benefits of a flawed system and that's why you like it so much.

• Like 1

Wow! I never realized I was so much in the Minority on this issue. Of course when I Say "Spit Upon" I didnt mean it Literally, I ment more in a "Ha ha, I get to get in front of you so Neener Neener" Kinda way. I drive about 35 Miles each way myself, and Ive learned that Waiting in Line at a park like Kings Island is just to be expected. People shouldnt be Given the Option to pay extra Money to get in Front of people. Thats just my opinion and it always will be. Its Nothing but Greed on Cedar Fair's side and It puts the Normal park goer in a "2nd place" position behind the Fast Lane users. In Response to the criticism about my comparison to Fast pass at Disney, Yes it may be just "Included" with park admission, But Say Disney Included a "Fast Pass Plus" that allowed people to pay extra Money to get in front of the Normal Fast Pass users. That would be screwing over both the Regular people waiting in line and the regular fast pass users. Im going off on a Tangent, but you see what Im saying... Once again, I know Its a Business and I know they need to make Money. But I would take Satisfied Customers who are happy with the product and tend to come back and spend more money as opposed to people who come and spend a whole bumch of money once and never come back..

Someone is going to be really unhappy next time they go to Disney World...

• Like 3