FoF Speed

teenageninja

According to both Paramount's Kings Island, people who work on Flight of Fear and the Roller Coaster Database, Flight of Fear launches at 54 MPH in 3.9 seconds. So it must be correct.

And what is with that huge blank signature NUGBOS? Are you just trying to be annoying? huh.gif

According to both Paramount's Kings Island, people who work on Flight of Fear and the Roller Coaster Database, Flight of Fear launches at 54 MPH in 3.9 seconds. So it must be correct.

And what is with that huge blank signature NUGBOS? Are you just trying to be annoying? huh.gif

Well the Flight of Fear people you know are wrong. All the Flight of Fear operators i know including myself will tell you that the ride is marketed at going 0-54 in 4 seconds, but in all reality it goes like 47. Kinda like The Beast. Its top speed is marketed at something around...what...65 or so?? Well anyways, the thing doesnt even pass 52 or something.

BTW Nugbos, aka SOBGUN, I already figured out who you are in another thread and busted you out. You're not the least bit clever. And yes, you are annoying.

good job i also noticed in that other thread you figured out my name backwards is SOBGUN. But that doesnt prove sh*t?? You think im who, SOBGUN Steve-o??? Never dude. But if you want to think thats me go for it, that way people will be not liking him for no reason, and thats fine by me.

Why don't you guys (FoF operators) ask your favorite ride control electricians, I'm sure they can have an accurate answer as to the speed of the launch each and every time.

..matt

I already asked maintenance and the electricians last year, both of them said that the ride computer was giving false numbers and that the ride does indeed launch at 54 mph.

I do not believe NUGBOS and SOB/GUN Steve-O are the same person. Steve-O has a distinct writing style, and it doesn't match with NUGBOS. Of course, he could be changing his style on purpose to mislead us. But I do not believe that it is him. Besides, Steve-O is still an active member. So what reason would he have to use a different user name?

The roller coaster database www.rcdb.com lists Flight of Fear at 54 MPH. It has the actual speeds on there - not rounded speeds. I am sure that different loads on the coaster can cause variations on the exact launch speed, but 54 is probably the average.

PS - Does anybody know what ph34r.gif means?

The roller coaster database www.rcdb.com lists Flight of Fear at 54 MPH. It has the actual speeds on there - not rounded speeds. I am sure that different loads on the coaster can cause variations on the exact launch speed, but 54 is probably the average.

No, its wrong, for reasons I cannon't tell you.

The roller coaster database www.rcdb.com lists Flight of Fear at 54 MPH.  It has the actual speeds on there - not rounded speeds.  I am sure that different loads on the coaster can cause variations on the exact launch speed, but 54 is probably the average.

Man, everything PKI related is always "restricted." First the lights on TR:TR which were because of "reason we can't tell you" and now you can't tell us the launch speed on FoF? Why not? It's not like there's any liability issues. It doesn't make sense, so much info about the park is "restricted", but it's only an amusement park!!!!

Dane-How do you know all this stuff that we can't know if you don't even work in the park?

I think Dane is full of B.S. There is no secret conspiracy surrounding FOF's speed. I'm positive that it is 54. If it's not, then the reason is simply because it's more comfortable for the riders, it doesn't put too much stress on the ride, etc.

By the way, what lights on TRTR? As I've said many times, I work on that ride and I can tell you this----if there's a problem with the lights, they probably just burned out. Ancient Chinese Secret! HA!

The roller coaster database www.rcdb.com lists Flight of Fear at 54 MPH.  It has the actual speeds on there - not rounded speeds.  I am sure that different loads on the coaster can cause variations on the exact launch speed, but 54 is probably the average.

Man, everything PKI related is always "restricted." First the lights on TR:TR which were because of "reason we can't tell you" and now you can't tell us the launch speed on FoF? Why not? It's not like there's any liability issues. It doesn't make sense, so much info about the park is "restricted", but it's only an amusement park!!!!

Dane-How do you know all this stuff that we can't know if you don't even work in the park?

If you don't know about it, there's usually a reason behind it. It's not anything stupid.

Dane knows stuff because he KNOWS people. ph34r.gif

If you really want to know how fast it goes, just take a handheld GPS unit on the ride with you. Assuming that the GPS reciever gets a decient signal, the reciever will tell you max speed. This is the simple solution.

If someone wants to get creative... find out the time interval at which the cameras flash, flashes. This information, along with the distance in which each picture is taken (realitive to the train) will show the speed of the train as it passes the camera.

If this doesnt work, you could also time (with a stopwatch) the time it takes to travel a certain distance. What distance to use I dont know, but it could be done if someone had a some knowlage(sp?) of the building or the track.

Just remember, there are more ways than one to find out the velocity of a rollercoaster, other than by reading a number that is published.

The measuring and timing thing wouldn't work. For one, its pitch black, and there is no way you could measure anything. For two, timing would only give you an average speed, and what we are interested in the launch speed. Once the train leaves the station, it begins to lose kinetic energy from air resistance and friction from the track.

And another thing - isn't this thread supposed to be about IJST, not FOF. We were wondering what the launches on IJST would be.

For one, its pitch black, and there is no way you could measure anything. For two, timing would only give you an average speed, and what we are interested in the launch speed. Once the train leaves the station, it begins to lose kinetic energy from air resistance and friction from the track.

Yes, I agree... but if your interval is short enough, and at the end of the lauch cycle (just before the first loop) the air resistance and friction would not cause too much of an error ( say plus or minus 5%). I didnt say it was a full prof plan but it could be done. Plus, there is something to measue... if you look closly (while sitting in the front seat) you will see a series of lasers along the track. If someone knew the distance of these lasers, a time interval could be taken between two of them at the end of the lauch sequence.

The easiest and best way to find the max speed at the end of the launch is to bring a GPS unit and have it record the results!

Once the train leaves the station, it begins to lose kinetic energy from air resistance and friction from the track.

I'm not entirely certain that your statement is true. I think it has LIM cabnets all the way down the tube.

If you take the speed as opposed to time intervals, you're going to get the average velocity. The only way to get the instintaneous velocity (which would merit the 0 to whatever launch) would be to clock it as soon as it leaves the LIMs.

Has the launch been slowed down? I really don't know, but it does feel like it has. Of course, in 96 when the ride opened, the launch concept was new to our park, so of course it felt amazing. That was eight years ago, though. I guess if you get used to it, it does seem to give the illusion that it's slowers.

Back to IJST. I'm sure this has been said before, but as far as launches go, you're looking at two stationary launches and a booster. tongue.gif

The easiest and best way to find the max speed at the end of the launch is to bring a GPS unit and have it record the results!

GP receivers today are better than they were a few years ago, but they are only accurate down to about 5 meters or so; which is still **** good for being estimated by satellites hundreds, even thousands of miles away in the sky. The US Gov't has got the good ones (accurate to less than a yard), but they aren't available to the public. Now, if the launch track is 50 meters long, you could end up with a distance measurement of 40-60 meters. This could severely affect the outcome of calculated velocity.

In addition, if the park found out that you brought a GPS receiver along on the ride with you, they'd probably kick you out. It's almost like bringing a camera along on the ride to take on-ride photos.

Point being? When it comes to IJST, I would rather use proportions (the distance from those two objects is X, and the two objects are Y distance away from the two objects, etc.) and a stopwatch to estimate the velocity. When it comes to Flight of Fear, I'd just have to put the numbers in God's hands.