Theming

Hank

Now that Mr. Quimet is on board, and given his time at Disney, do any of you feel that there will be more theming at KI...

1) As a park

2) On individual rides

?

I am hopeful that some of the strategies that will emanate from this man will help to make the park a little less helter skelter.

• Like 1

I'd personally like to see some more theming on individual rides. Also, it would be nice to bring a unique feel/atmosphere to each individual section of the park. This could be done by landscaping, props, music, etc. Instead of the park just feeling like one big land, it would be nice to return each section to some of it's individuality.

• Like 9

I would love to see more interactivity in the park, Disney's NextGen is going to change the theme park industry. But If they had things like Qtv and put Interactive triva that you could win something, be it a free drink, 1 fastpass ride. All it would take would be a text responder. Even could do like the Cincinnati Reds and have Twitter DJ. Pick a song to hear in the park.

I personally like the Q-bot technology, but the newer version Q-smart uses smart phones to replace the bot devices. The advantage, is Riders cannot just keep getting right back into line like the wristbands. UNLESS they want to pay for premium service.

I say and hope he does individual ride theming first, bring back full effects to BLSC, maybe some lasers in FoF (inside ride) were it looks like aliens shooting back and forth, upgrade the tv's and have the video redone into HD for FoF (their is software to upgrade video quality), make some upgrades to Boo Blasters (especially the guns!!! get some where you can see where your shooting), then add more special effects to AE, add a time vorad at the end of The Racer to show who really won (start timer when they are dispatched and ends right before break run and is displayed on a tv monitor for both sides.

Now to overall park theming, make each area feel more themed. like AZ make it feel like walking onto a movie set, give River Town more of a western feel, make International Street have some foods/shops from around the world, turn the fountains into a show at the end of the night, sync it with the fireworks and have water projectors of the parks history, slowly redo the parking lot or make it into a garage, (which could free up space for a coaster(s) or other rides), allow for company's to come in and allow guests to do taste testing and try new products and in exchange for the guest(s) time they will get some KI bucks (1 KI buck= $1), have workers dressed as tourists (camera, funky clothing and bunches of souvenirs on them (universal does that), have a scavenger hunt where guests have to go around and find different stuff throughout the park and have to get picture and write down answers on a piece of paper and then give the family free access to DA or a small ice cream*, last but not least workers will have a different uniform depending on what section of the park they work in. These are a few ideas I have that I think would make for a better day in the park.

to help cover the expense raise the prices of gold and regular season pass another $5. Most of these things are not to hateful of a price, it would give for a more exciting visit to the park.

*up to 4 free DA tickets or ice creams. DA or ice cream vouchers must be used that day and ice cream voucher not valid with 3rd party ice cream companies.

I would love to see more interactivity in the park, Disney's NextGen is going to change the theme park industry. But If they had things like Qtv and put Interactive triva that you could win something, be it a free drink, 1 fastpass ride. All it would take would be a text responder. Even could do like the Cincinnati Reds and have Twitter DJ. Pick a song to hear in the park.

I personally like the Q-bot technology, but the newer version Q-smart uses smart phones to replace the bot devices. The advantage, is Riders cannot just keep getting right back into line like the wristbands. UNLESS they want to pay for premium service.

I would love to see some Q-met (Quimet) technology!

• Like 1

Personally, I don't expect much theming out of Ouimet. Yes he came from a major themed company, but look at the past make over of the waterpark. I really don't see an exact theme to the place, still I am trying to figure out if it is a miami, Hawaii, or some retro inbetween of Down Under and Pacific rim island. If he was implementing theme, then I should of seen more tropical theme to the place and not just new paint, new neon and garden pipes, and new signs, like I have said before, tikis and other tropical themed items can go a long way in a waterpark. Now of course I am a waterpark enthusiast and probably one of the only people to see the minor details more than others, but some things can go a long way. (Details make the artwork) With that, can Mr. Ouimet implement theme into the parks of Cedar Fair? Of course, he has the correct background and right foot steps to become the theme maker of Cedar Fair, which coming from the past of Cedar Fair, theme is only needed at Haunt, and placed lightly where needed in other times. Now if he were to, what would I expect in the theme? Let's start on the park in general, I believe more theme will be placed into the park where needed and when it comes to happen, like the Action Zone renovation that may come in the near future(hoping!). Now to the rides, again it can placed when needed, and if the ride needs new theme it will be there. The rides will probably get more into a story line and probably have more backbone (theming) to the ride than the latter Cedar Fair.

Ouimet officially started in January 2012, right? I wouldn't expect that he had much of anything to do with the Soak City retheme. That's mostly/all Kinzel.

Replying to the original post: I would say, based on Gold Striker and the small atmosphere changes at KI and several other Cedar Fair parks, that Ouimet will do a little bit of both. Paramount-era theming it is not, but it's more than the concrete-and-trash-cans atmosphere of old management. For what the Cedar Fair parks had become under Kinzel (which wasn't bad--just not my preferred cup of tea), it's enough for me.

• Like 5

Unlike Kinzel, Ouimet isn't a micromanager. Theming is going to come from the planning and designing department along with the park's GM.

If Mr. Scheid thinks that theming will have a significant ROI, then it will happen.

Obviously we won't ever see theming like Expedition Everest, so don't expect that. . . Or anything close to that.

Ouimet officially started in January 2012, right? I wouldn't expect that he had much of anything to do with the Soak City retheme. That's mostly/all Kinzel.

If I remember correctly most of the theming did not go in untill around january, which was under his operation at that moment. Even if he didn't have much, he could have actually made a more congruent theme than what it is now.

The recent pod cast featuring Matt Ouimet was very interesting. He reports bringing in hotel design folks from Disney days to
assist in the "refreshment" of FUN lodging properties. Talked of concepts such
as dueling piano lounges/lobbies. His discussions concerning dark rides
and design limitations due to a lack of intellectual properties (IP) was
insightful.

To call Cedar Fair an "Entertainment Company" seems disingenuous to
me. Lacking the IP component they really are more a collection of amusement parks. The
ability to fully monetize theme parks and resorts is hobbled without IP content.
Ownership of IP is critical to profitability leverage and capture long term profits from
those assets.

It will be interesting to see what else Mr. Ouimet has up his sleeves
in the coming couple of years.

With refinancing of debt, and the much lower annual interest expenses, I suspect Mr. Ouimet is readying to
make an acquisition of one sort or another. Possibly pick up a park
or attraction franchise they can locate near parks to gain a second
admission.

Look at Cedar Fair moving from the old guard view wherein lodging was simply warehousing guests, to the new guard action of lodging and hospitality adding value (and revenues!) to the Best Day Experience on Park.

IP will increasingly play a larger role in the future Cedar Fair.

Increase the offering, refine the product, and price accordingly.

Theme is the meme.

• Like 2

Even though I like theming, it's really not the center focus of a Midwestern park, in my opinion. Midwesterners like to Do things, not just see things.

I think there will be more focus on the actual experience than the aesthetics. Besides, already there is more theming going on, with the removal of asphalt, the expanding of the beer garden, more dinosaurs, etc.. Seems like there is more gearing towards a place to be at, then just a place to look at.

I love Disney. I loved looking around and seeing all the structures. Many of the rides I went on were designed as theatrical experiences. When I'm at KI I want the rush of practically flying through the trees on The Beast. I don't want to watch Peter Pan do it from the soft comfy viewpoint of a ride chair moseying along.

• Like 3

If Maverick at CP is used as an example, I would say that current management is not serious about theming. When Maverick first opened, management did an outstanding job of theming that ride with the wonderful western music. Starting last year, however, the western music was completely removed and replaced with mostly hip-hop music which totally ruined the western theme.

Even though I like theming, it's really not the center focus of a Midwestern park, in my opinion. Midwesterners like to Do things, not just see things.

I think there will be more focus on the actual experience than the aesthetics. Besides, already there is more theming going on, with the removal of asphalt, the expanding of the beer garden, more dinosaurs, etc.. Seems like there is more gearing towards a place to be at, then just a place to look at.

I love Disney. I loved looking around and seeing all the structures. Many of the rides I went on were designed as theatrical experiences. When I'm at KI I want the rush of practically flying through the trees on The Beast. I don't want to watch Peter Pan do it from the soft comfy viewpoint of a ride chair moseying along.

Very well put.

I went to Disney World when I was 9 or 10. Sounds like an ideal age to enjoy Disney, but I was like pshhhh I ride Vortex and The Beast, I am not impress with these kiddie rides.

2i08yg8.png

However I would like to see more individual area and ride theming. Adventure Express tunnells needs TLC badly!

• Like 2

Im still stuck on nobody liking High School Marching Bands at Kings Island? :blink: Really? Nobody?

I have an ear condition that has left me deaf in one ear and impaired in the other, and loud noises cause serious ear pain and dizziness. I am the last person that expects the world to conform to my impairment. I carry earplugs and if Snow woman wants to see a show, we choose to go in the theater and I have time to put the earplugs in. With the marching bands, you never know where they're going to be. Numerous times we have come around corners only to be greeted with cymbal crashes and loud drums. We have to sit down until the ringing and dizziness goes away. If they put them in the Amphitheater, I'd have no problem, but marching around the park, you can get stuck on a path for awhile. Trust me it can be brutal.

• Like 1

I have extremely sensitive hearing (and perfect pitch, if I may add) and I can't take much of that blaring music being played throughout the park. None of that music seems to fit with any kind of "theme" and none of it, except the ads, has anything to do with King's Island. Workers in the game booths shouting over the mic, trying to attract customers, bothers me too.

• Like 1

^ That needs to happen ASAP. Keep the pop, rock, rap, whatever for the Action Zone or even Coney Mall. International Street at the very least, though I think all the areas deserve their own music, needs to return to the classical music that makes walking into the park have a "magical" feeling to it. I'd be surprised if Ouimet thought that the music choice for International Street was ok. It'll be interesting to see this year as they seem to be focusing on the themed areas a bit more with the first addition to actually fit Oktoberfest's theme in years being added. Hopefully area specific music will return, but of course I've been hoping that for years.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I wish Kings Island would take a page from Kings Dominion, and return the classical music to International Street. Just adds a bit of magic to the park experience that has been absent from Kings Island over the last five years or so.

Great review on the importance of music in the park-going experience here:

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201306/3543/

• Like 2