Theming

Hank

It's really frustrating to walk onto International Street and hear music from current pop/rock bands like Katy Perry, Lada Gaga, etc. And then when walking through Planet Snoopy and into Rivertown hearing the same stuff, even stuff like Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift. This music just doesn't fit at all! I really miss the magic of International Street with the big, emotional classical music scores. Even better, I loved walking into Hanna-Barbara Land and hearing the theme music to some of my favorite cartoons like Yogi Bear, Scooby Doo, and the Jetsons. This just set the mood to the entire place and I remember how my excitement levels rose when I was getting closer and could start hearing the music fade to something new. I knew I was about to enter a new area/land and I started to anticipate all the fun I would have in that area. Such a shame that it's just all pop/rock music in every square inch of that place. I just feels like one big land now instead of many different ones. Hopefully some changes will be made.

• Like 9

Oh don't get me started on International Street music. I've heard "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter, "Misery" by Maroon 5, and "Madness" by Muse. Not that I have anything against those songs, but really Kings Island? I don't think that's the first impression you want guests to have. Hopefully we will get classical music back eventually, but I am doubtful.

• Like 3

It's really frustrating to walk onto International Street and hear music from current pop/rock bands like Katy Perry, Lada Gaga, etc. And then when walking through Planet Snoopy and into Rivertown hearing the same stuff, even stuff like Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift. This music just doesn't fit at all! I really miss the magic of International Street with the big, emotional classical music scores. Even better, I loved walking into Hanna-Barbara Land and hearing the theme music to some of my favorite cartoons like Yogi Bear, Scooby Doo, and the Jetsons. This just set the mood to the entire place and I remember how my excitement levels rose when I was getting closer and could start hearing the music fade to something new. I knew I was about to enter a new area/land and I started to anticipate all the fun I would have in that area. Such a shame that it's just all pop/rock music in every square inch of that place. I just feels like one big land now instead of many different ones. Hopefully some changes will be made.

Couldn't of said it better myself. Lets be serious, we are not Disney, nor even Universal for that matter, we will probably never have the cash flow that either have. That said, its all about the little things. Music and Landscaping are huge. The landscaping we, seem to, really have picked up on in the recent years. I applaud that, but we are still missing a big player. The themed music. That helps put everything into perspective of what you are doing, what it is, and where you are going. Something that desperately needs to be attended to.

• Like 4

See to an extent I like themed music, but to an extent I don't. I don't mind coming in and hearing Muse, ect. because it brings out the parks atmosphere of happy go lucky, just have fun go do stuff attitude. I also like that wherever I'm at if I'm walking the music is the same throughout and doesn't clash, also it doesn't fade from one to another. It would be odd to go from "cant read my, can't read my no, he can't read my poker...Ma ma ma ma mad mad mad, I can't get these memories out of my mind." That was one thing that irritated me crossing between gemini/frontier at CP or working that area. That area you heard the pop/typical park music, then country clashing at the same time. It also allows you to enjoy the whole track versus just a snippet as your travel through

So I'm split between the two. I like what they did, however some theming would be nice, but eh...dunno. I have no complaints about KI or CP's new music. I'll take this stuff over the 2011 mix they played EVERY day. You could tell the time of day it was based off of the music, and that's lame. Some stuff was good, but it had alot of old crap that honestly wasn't too special. Opening you heard the old lady belt out God Bless America, and then straight into Michael Buble, a track from Sting, and then some pop music I didn't care for lol.

My only complaint music wide is some areas it's quiet. Some it's blasting too loud to the point I'm yelling to talk to my gf beside me, and that's a bit irritating

The theming KI had pre-Paramount days was amazing. Paramount brought the park down in general and Cedar Fairs seems to have cleaned the place up... but to me in the few visits I've had under Cedar management, it feels like a McDonald's. It feels like a franchise of a chain and all Cedar parks must be alike. I hate that. I hate the pop music on International Street. I'm not anti-change, Cedar can bring in the big coasters. But I've seen parks with no theming, or very weak in the different sections of the park and it feels like someone just plucked up all these steel monsters and put them in a car park. Not nice. I don't want to see a coaster over international Street. I want to see the flags of all the countries and roaming entertainers and people just feeling like they stepped into another world for a day.

So the answer, for me, is theming theming theming: keeping in mind the tradition of the park while embracing the new and keeping the areas so individual that it feels like magic. You can do a lot with a little. Anyone remember that there used to be a turkey puppet near the Festhaus? He would insult everyone. These kinds of little touches make a massive difference. Otherwise, it's just Cedar Point's ugly kid sister and always will be because there will always been the "latest" new coaster.

That's from the perspective of someone who grew up in the park and has visited as an adult not more than a handful of times.

• Like 1