Best themed Coaster in the park

SonofBaconator

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Been browsing through the forums and found this thread in with some mothballs. Arguably our best themed coasters are (in no particular order)

• Mystic Timbers
  • Flight of Fear
  • Banshee
  • Adventure Express
  • Backlot Stunt Coaster

I'm not hating on coasters such as The Bat, Diamondback, or even The Beast but the coasters I've listed above have incorporated some type of theming into the ride experience. In all honesty its hard to chose the best themed ride so I'll let you decide.

Not counting the yet to open Mystic Timbers Best themed ride experience is Backlot despite its diminished theming since opening... best overall including queues, FOF.. awesome queue and station theming, but not really anything in the spaghetti bowl, you can easily tell its a black room with randomly colored lights.. looks awesome.. but not really thematic.
Banshee then Adventure Express to finish it off. Again Banshee has those cool lights, but I wouldnt call it thematic rather than a different colored fill light than white. Adventure Express has good on ride theming still left over.. nothing in the queue and station.. and some parts arent really themed even still

5 hours ago, calakapepe said:

Again Banshee has those cool lights, but I wouldnt call it thematic rather than a different colored fill light than white.

Also, the themed queue with headstones, headstones placed throughout the field under the ride including at the exit of an inversion or drop. 

• Like 3

Also, the themed queue with headstones, headstones placed throughout the field under the ride including at the exit of an inversion or drop. 

I guess it is over by the batwing isnt it? Hmm.... I think I will stick with my ordering.. if anything swap adventure and Banshee. The ones by the dive loop are more for the entrance/ approaching.. which is great, but doesnt get noticed nor enhance the ride for me
  • Like 1

I'd have to go with Flight of Fear. But it's been a few years since I've rode it, so things may have changed. I always thought the wait felt much shorter because there were more props and that corny video looping in the background that helped divert my attention away from the actual line.

I'm not certain but this video has a little bit of fog shown.. everything else is missing..
I've heard from someone on the forums of some of the spikes in the tunnel that would detract or move in some way..

Also, really cool seeing the monorail? cutting over Adventure Express :P

I'd say that Backlot has the best/most theming during the actual ride experience but that Banshee has the best theming/atmosphere before riding and surrounding the actual ride itself. 

I really do enjoy BLSC and some of its effects and props, and I think it has the most out of any other ride in the park. Banshee just excels with the whole package between the station, sign, tombstones, light posts/railings, fog, etc. While some of these are noticed on the ride itself (especially at night with the lights), it is mostly for an off-ride visual/thematic approach. 

Going off of that, I really hope Cedar Fair does more Banshee-esque theming and atmospheres with new rides. While all the new additions have dramatically been better in regards to this, I still think none of the new rides in the past few years have been able to top Banshee's comprehensiveness and overall quality. 

• Like 3

If Banshee and Mystic Timbers are any indication of how coasters and theme can coexist then we're in for a treat. However, I feel like a lot of the coasters' theming was decided by the park as opposed to the Cedar Fair company. The theming just seems more KI than it does Cedar Fair. That being said I don't know if other Cedar Fair parks will follow suit. Each park is different after all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/4/2017 at 5:39 PM, Ride On_17 said:

I'd say that Backlot has the best/most theming during the actual ride experience but that Banshee has the best theming/atmosphere before riding and surrounding the actual ride itself. 

I really do enjoy BLSC and some of its effects and props, and I think it has the most out of any other ride in the park. Banshee just excels with the whole package between the station, sign, tombstones, light posts/railings, fog, etc. While some of these are noticed on the ride itself (especially at night with the lights), it is mostly for an off-ride visual/thematic approach. 

Going off of that, I really hope Cedar Fair does more Banshee-esque theming and atmospheres with new rides. While all the new additions have dramatically been better in regards to this, I still think none of the new rides in the past few years have been able to top Banshee's comprehensiveness and overall quality. 

I consider theming an addition to the ride and not the ride itself. For example, if you stripped all the theming from Banshee and Mystic Timbers they would still be enjoyable rides. However, if you stripped the theming from Backlot Stunt Coaster and Flight of Fear, they would be more or less boring and dull. 

So the two ways you can have good theming are to build a world class attraction and add theming to enhance it, or build a generic ride and theme the crap out of it to make it great and standout.