Does the threat of terrorism deter you from attending parks?

In the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings, I have been pondering the threat of terrorism.

To be honest, I tend to live life a tiny bit on the paranoid side, and acts such as this play into my worries.

I have a large Disney trip looming - been planning for a year. These recent issues have now cast a dark cloud over it. Even my Father said to me "Disney World is a prime target for terorists and is on their list!" (Yes, I'm 41 and still fear stern warnings from my Daddy!)

Obviously we can't live our lives in fear... however in today's times we must always be on guard.

Does anyone else share concerns over such acts at our favorite places? Any words of wisdom?

Shaggy

• Like 1

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from you. My thought process is that if it's going to happen, it's going to happen- whether I like it or not. Yes, I would hate to see something like that happen at a place where the main goal is to be happy, but there is nothing we can do to stop it. Maybe that is just because I assume that people are generally good? I don't like to worry about things, especially in a situation like that, but I can definitely see where you are coming from.

Plus if I die, I know where I'm going anyway :)

• Like 16

Disrupting our daily lives and making us live in fear is the goal of those who perpetrate these acts of terrorism. If we all cower in fear and refuse to go on with our lives then these attacks have taken far more away from our nation as a whole than just the precious lives lost on Monday. We have a responsibility to exercise the freedoms that our sons, daughters, fathers, and grandfathers fought so valiantly for. The cost of freedom is a great but I believe that our ability to overcome tragedies such as these is even greater.

• Like 22

To change the way we live our lives after some kook or kooks set off a bomb is just what they want. If we give in to their threats and let it effect how we go about our lives is to admit defeat and they win. We will not give in and we will vow to go to the ends of the Earth to find the people or groups that support them and bring them to justice and not allow them to hide in countries that support them. But if we hide in our bunkers and become paranoid about who or when they might hit us, then they win and we loose.

• Like 9

I definitely understand the paranoia. I have several family members that feel similarly. I'd be one of them, except I keep thinking of how you're really at the mercy of other people no matter what you do. I don't say that negatively--it's just how the world works. Someone can make a wrong decision on the road and take you out while driving. Someone can accidentally switch medication and destroy one of your senses. Mistaken juries have had people executed for crimes they didn't commit. People will lie about you behind your back and keep you from getting the job, inspectors will shluff off a crack in the space shuttle heat shield, and both domestic and foreign terrorists will continue to do exactly what their name implies. If something bad is going to happen to you, is there really anything you can do to 100% prevent it?

For me, I choose to be aware that these sorts of things can and will happen, but I don't see the point (except in extreme cases**) in letting it redirect my life. A close relative of mine would not see The Dark Knight Rises in theaters because of the Aurora shooting. I understand that there are things like copycats, but this relative specifically would not see TDKR, like it was cursed. Even if the shooter in that incident had some sort of obsession with The Joker, that doesn't mean that every other movie out there is safe. The same thing could happen whether you're watching The Dark Knight Rises or Gone With The Wind. So why let it stop you? Like others have said: if you let it stop you, the terrorists win.

** "Extreme cases" meaning that there is clear forewarning of something bad happening. Obviously, if a terrorist cell announces they're going to unleash something terrible at Amusement Park on May xx, I'm not going to visit Amusement Park on or around that date.

• Like 6

I prefer not to live my life in a bubble. None of these events really scare me. I do make sure I am always aware of places to hide/escape routes in case something were to happen, but I'm not going to stop visiting public places.

If something were to happen, I at least would die doing something I loved.

• Like 7

Our National Anthem was written during a battle in which selfless men, in the face of intense, unceasing shelling, climbed over the mangled, bloody remains of their fallen brethren, just to keep the U.S. Flag fllying in defiance of the British Navy. For me to avoid living freely and enjoying the blessings of liberty by not attending a crowd-oriented event or facility would mock their hallowed sacrifice. I've had a good 44 years in this country. If it stops there at the hands of a foreign or domestic enemy, so be it; but for all they might think they can take away, there's manifold much they never can! God Bless America!

• Like 12

I've recently been just reading the forums... but I do have to but in on this. I would be willing to bet that some shooting or bombing will happen at an amusement park this year. (No, I don't actually know for real) It has happened during a marathon, at a movie theater, and at a school, an amusement park is a PERFECT place for an attack. Security at Kings Island is relatively low, sure, you got some security guards walking around, making sure everything's cool. BUT, as annoying as they were, I think metal detectors MUST return. Anybody that thinks it won't ever happen at a theme park, I think you are wrong. I am surprised it hasn't already happened....

• Like 1

Amusement parks would be a target because of the high density of people in a comparatively small space. Yes, they are several acres, but people congregate in specific locations on the acreage (e.g. queue lines.) Think of where the terrorist attacks of the past twenty years have happened. And then think of how crowded places like the Magic Kingdom can be.

NOTE: This post is commentary, and nothing more. I know nothing of any planned terrorist attacks, past, present, or future, targeting any facility or organization, amusement parks or otherwise.

I've always had the thought in my mind about a situation like this happening, but if I go to the park or any other place with this fear, to me, that means they win. I won't stand for that. You will see me on opening day, and every other day there with a worry free attitude and a big smile!

• Like 4

I don't let it deter me because you're FAR more likely to die in a car accident on the way to any public area than from a terrorist attack. I don't see most amusement parks as a target, honestly. A lot of times, these attacks are more of a statement than actually having the purpose of killing a lot of people. Look at the marathon bombing... yes, it was a huge gathering of people but they were spread out over 26 miles.The area in which the bombs were detonated was one of the higher concentrations of people because it was the finish line, but it still wasn't thousands of people in the direct vicinity. I think it was more of a statement. Terrorists attack things that are symbolic of our way of life, and the Boston Marathon is just that. I think *if* they were to attack a park (I honestly don't find it likely), they would go for one that is symbolic of our way of life - such as Disney.

Disney does not have strong security measures (just a bag check at the gate), but I don't think metal detectors are ever the answer for this type of situation. All they do is catch people carrying pocket knives and screwdrivers. Someone who is coming in with the intent to do harm is NOT going to be stopped by a metal detector. They'll either find a way around it or just start shooting there - and the security personnel that ran them at KI were not armed. There was no armed security officer anywhere near the front gate most of the time. The only armed officers on park are the park police, and there are usually 5 or so of them on the entire property. A person in a uniform without any kind of weapon would not be a deterrent to someone with the intent to cause harm. Metal detectors were not there to stop "active shooters" (the current Homeland Security lingo) - they were designed to stop people from bringing in things like pocket knives which can dramatically escalate a small altercation. Yes, fights happens at parks (frequently over line jumping, which is why I don't encourage "self policing" in line), and if some hothead pulls out a knife, it's going to go the wrong way very quickly. But, like I said, metal detectors would not stop, or even slow down, an active shooter or a terrorist attack.

• Like 2

We cannot live in fear. Going to work or attending a sporting event or an amusement park might be a target for an attack.

I work in a hospital and sometimes worry about something happening. I live in a small town, which seems pretty safe, but I am always aware of my surroundings no matter where I am.

I am not scared or fearful, but I am careful of whatever I do.

• Like 1

There was no armed security officer anywhere near the front gate most of the time. The only armed officers on park are the park police, and there are usually 5 or so of them on the entire property.

Just because you can't see them doesn't necessarily mean there aren't more nearby. I can assure you that there are more than 5 police officers on the premises during normal operation.

Don't forget that there are far more people in a sports stadium at one time than an amusement park. There are a lot of targets that would probably be idea for these idiots. 105 thousand pack into the Shoe every other Saturday in the fall.

Everywhere is a target nowadays.

I think if you are not fearful or at least thinking about it, you are living in a bubble. This day and age, you have to be vigilant. Does that mean you assume a bomb is on every corner, no. But you have to be on the look out for suspicious behavior. Be aware of your surroundings. So maybe not fearful is the right word, but I am vigilant. I wont let it cross into my ability to have fun. But you have to be careful. Not just for yourself but for others.

• Like 1

Anything I cant control,I try not to let worry me,I remind myself everything is in Gods hands,not mine. I did feel much safer on the fourth of July last season at Kings Island because of the metal detector and bag search.If just one idiot walks back to his car to put his knife or gun back,its well worth it!

That's why they are called that- they deal in terror. You've planned for this trip and are looking forward to it, I wouldn't let them get the better of you, that's what they want.

To be quite honest, I am really surprised the bombers were Chechyan- that was the furthest group from my mind.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I Don't Fear It, But Appreciate When Security Measures Are Taken, Even If Its Just A Bag Check.

As I Have Never Been To KI Before, Are Bag Checks A Normal Thing?

Because My Bag Was Not Searched And There Was No One Checking Bags At All.

This Was Slightly Concerning Because I Have Never Been To A Large Public Attraction Without This Happening.

Especially After A Major Incident Like Boston.

I Like To At Last Pretend These Small Measures Make A Difference.

• Like 1