Does the threat of terrorism deter you from attending parks?

My problem with the current means of metal detection at Kings Island is twofold:

1) The wands are very slow.

2) There are better and faster ways to do the same job. The metal detectors that we had at Kings Island up until 2011, and still have at nearly every other park, seem much more effective and efficient to me. Have the walk-through metal detectors (and throw us all a bone and have a "bagless only" line like SFGAm and SFStL please) or have nothing at all, but the wands are very frustrating. The only real upside to the wand is that I have a pretty large, metal belt buckle, and by using the wands, I don't have to remove my belt because they can clearly see that it is the belt setting it off.

• Like 2

To think a terrorist would try to walk through metal detectors is foolish. If they are not looking to make it out they could get in anywhere and it wouldn't matter if they was seen doing it. They don't even need to be in the park to kill people in it.

The metal detectors are there to make you feel better. Anything you had to protect yourself with you had to leave in the car. This is one of your rights you give up to enter the park. 

I am sure the park likes to see talk on here about this and will act on it soon like in the past. This is another right you must give up. ;)  

• Like 4

My problem with the current means of metal detection at Kings Island is twofold:

2) There are better and faster ways to do the same job. The metal detectors that we had at Kings Island up until 2011, and still have at nearly every other park, seem much more effective and efficient to me. Have the walk-through metal detectors (and throw us all a bone and have a "bagless only" line like SFGAm and SFStL please) or have nothing at all, but the wands are very frustrating. The only real upside to the wand is that I have a pretty large, metal belt atabuckle, and by using the wands, I don't have to remove my belt because they can clearly see that it is the belt setting it off.

Not at KD. They made me remove my belt so it would not set off the wand detector.

• Like 1

I wonder sometimes if there are hidden security assets that we don't know of? You know, ones wearing Ghillie suits, with huge scopes? I remember recent Super Bowls having certain such assets in place.

Carowinds has hidden camera as well as plain clothes guards. Other than this, I doubt it, a customer's keys shouldn't be able to lock up a fridge at Carowinds that stays in the park unattended. I seen an employee do with my own keys, she locked it up and left. I probably should have went to Guest Services and complained but I didn't want to get the young lady fired.
  • Like 1

2) There are better and faster ways to do the same job. The metal detectors that we had at Kings Island up until 2011, and still have at nearly every other park, seem much more effective and efficient to me. Have the walk-through metal detectors (and throw us all a bone and have a "bagless only" line like SFGAm and SFStL please) or have nothing at all, but the wands are very frustrating. The only real upside to the wand is that I have a pretty large, metal belt atabuckle, and by using the wands, I don't have to remove my belt because they can clearly see that it is the belt setting it off.

Not at KD. They made me remove my belt so it would not set off the wand detector.

I didn't have to remove my belt any of the three times I walked through KD's metal detectors last week.

• Like 1

Yea, I can.

The truck blew a capacitor headin home one night, on the main highway going into town (Rt 52 at the Sciotoville overpass Terp.). Bush just happened to be comin through town the next day. So after walkin home several miles, it was a few, and getting passed by two of our deputy sheriffs, before I could get a tow truck up there the police already had it out of there. And they were not friendly about it. I won't go into the specifics of the conversation. But, yea, said it was a threat. And I do understand that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was right in the middle of the Dallas shooting last week, and I think this is just another example of if someone wants to kill people they are going to kill people and there isn't much you can do about it. I know what I am about to say is a terrible thing, but it is really how I feel. Humans have been killing other humans since the beginning of mankind and it is foolish to think it will ever stop. You can legislate out guns, you can set up as many security protocols as you want, but the terrible people of the world will always find a way to be terrible. (See the truck attack in Nice.) 

I'm not saying we shouldn't keep trying to make it stop, but I am saying this has been going on since before us and will continue long after we're gone. 

I will however continue to live my life without fear and not limit myself on what I can experience because of these reoccurring events.  

• Like 3