Senior Citizens?

Tanna

Is there a discount for Senior Citizens? or anything that can get my parents to want to go to the park?

They are in their seventies, and after seeing the new grille and biergarten, I think they'd like to spend some time there, even to just enjoy the atmosphere. They loved to go when we were younger.

I know there are wheelchair rentals, but is there any way the park can remove the stigma of wheelchairs for older folks that have a tough time walking far?

My mom has no problem with them, but my dad, "He can walk, dammit." But since he's had a stroke, he has to lean on things to get where he's going, and besides, it's a big park.

• Like 2

Seniors, 62 years of age and older can purchase a single day admission ticket for $33.99 at the gate. If you have any discount coupons, read the details for the price for the senior ticket. The park offers wheel chair and power scooter rentals on a first, come basis. Not sure what the rates are this season. They can be rented in the front of the park, to the left as you walk through the main entrance. I plan on renting a power scooter for my father, who is 90 years old when we go to the park. My father is like your dad in that he wants to walk. He even does not take advantage of the free scooters with baskets at stores like Kroger's.

I hope your parents have fun, Tanna :) Wish KI had more to offer to keep them busy at least for a day. My grandparents pretty much started to loose interest in KI during the 80s after they first saw CP, by the 90s they quit going to KI for the most part except for my mom's company picnic each year they'd go with us.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input. I hope I can talk them into using scooters. I finally convinced my mother to look into wheelchair rental for the ballpark.

I wish the train had the old scenery and show, my dad loved that. The focus on the thrill ride in the past has kind of left older people in the dust.

• Like 2

It doesn't help that virtually every show is a musical revue of the type of music that doesn't typically appeal to most seniors.

One of the best purchases I ever made was a portable wheelchair for my Mom when she was still with us. She couldn't walk well enough to get to wheelchair rental. I could take the chair with us to parks like Dollywood, which had shows she adored. Though she had been to Kings Island many times in the past, she had no desire to go in her later days, pointing out there was very, very little there that interested her.

Grandparents and seniors should be a part of a best day ever. Hopefully, FUN managers are beginning to realize the gaping hole previous management left in attracting ALL demographics, not just young thrillseekers.

• Like 5

4821342023_29e0947832.jpg
Picture 398 by ki_faerie_wench, on Flickr

Yes, the baby in the pic is me.

Most senior citizens I know are not interested in riding coasters (one sweet lady who is a regular at KI comes to mind as a rare exception), that's why my grandparents fell in love with CP when they did. We all go in as a family beginning of the day to ride either train or Paddlewheel Excursions or both before everyone went their separate ways for the afternoon. I know grandpa loved to get his usual beer and a sandwich while watching shows at Red Garter. :P

• Like 5

Is there a discount for Senior Citizens? or anything that can get my parents to want to go to the park?

They are in their seventies, and after seeing the new grille and biergarten, I think they'd like to spend some time there, even to just enjoy the atmosphere. They loved to go when we were younger.

I know there are wheelchair rentals, but is there any way the park can remove the stigma of wheelchairs for older folks that have a tough time walking far?

My mom has no problem with them, but my dad, "He can walk, dammit." But since he's had a stroke, he has to lean on things to get where he's going, and besides, it's a big park.

If you have a pass,use your $9.99 deal on them!

• Like 2

I'm totally disabled. I have a Golden Buckeye card. This year I can't ride on anything rougher than the Eiffel Tower. I can't even go in the wave pool. I'd like to go to the park, walk around, and see the shows - maybe even meet up with other KIC members. I really shouldn't have to pay full price for admission. Plus, I will either use my walker (which has a seat) or bring my own motor cart.

However......

When I am able to ride everything, having the walker or motor cart gets me in through the exits - and before you think "Oh gee, that's cool" you'd be surprised and the looks I get from people because I didn't have to wait in the queue - especially when the ride ops go to seat us and the other guests have been shuffling through their lines to make sure their entire party rides at the same time. Those looks can and do haunt you!

• Like 3

My dad has recently (in the last 2 years) had 3 heart stents, a minor heart attack, and a stroke. He would love to go to the park but he has said there is not much for him to do there. He was never big on roller coasters when he was young, they made him sick. I would love to take my parents with my wife and I when my baby comes but my wife is not a huge ride person either. She enjoys some thrills but enjoys shows and immerse style rides so much more. My mom is the real roller coaster fanatic and got my sister and I involved in them as well. Looks like I have something to pass on.

But I wish the park would bring back shows and rides that are for the whole family. Last year the magic show was awesome. Went with the extended family and had a great time. Funny, kid friendly, etc. But what else was there? Pop song singers? eh. Boo blasters was a nice and fun ride, but where are the other rides for my dad?

Maybe KI will turn the corner soon and offer more for everyone.

• Like 3