A Taste of What's To Come

Spring is here! You know what that means: Kings Island will be opening for the 2013 season on Saturday, April 27th!

The next big thing has arrived at Kings Island! The Reds Hall of Fame Grille in Rivertown brings the level of dining at Kings Island to new heights. This full table-service restaurant is a MUST for any Reds fan. You could spend hours in there just gazing at the historical photographs, memorabilia, and artifacts from the Reds organization history that can trace its roots back to 1869.

Oh yeah, and the food? Amazing. Not even just "theme park amazing" but AMAZING amazing. They serve an eclectic menu of burgers, wings, wraps, chips and deserts. The dish that seemed to impress members of the media the most at Thursday's preview was the incredible fall-off-the-bone tender ribs. The Reds Hall of Fame Grille opens with the park on Saturday, April 27th. Check it out for the first time on Saturday and you'll be hooked for the rest of the season!!

Speaking of big things, how about the world's tallest animatronic dinosaur being added to Dinosaurs Alive!? This towering beast can be seen above the tree line throughout the park! You must see this one for yourself!

To see a sneak peak of the Reds Hall of Fame Grille and Dinosaurs Alive, follow the link below!

http://KICentral.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=344

• Like 10

I'll tell you what. I was pretty skeptical of how the park would execute a full service restaurant, but truthfully I was blown away.

Seriously, they nailed this. The whole theme and motif of the place is indicative of the hall of fame downtown. There's a full service bar, the patio is great and there's no shortage of televisions. One of the best parts is that each table has a historical Reds photo on the table. I thought this one was a nice touch, note the Coney Island advertisement on the outfield wall:

42513_020.jpg

All in all, the best part about the place isn't just that its a new dining option or that it's a really good dining option - it's local. I love that the park this year has focused on its Cincinnati roots. Out of town visitors can really see the tradition and pride that people put in the Reds organization. The historical items are n attraction in their own.

Also, yeah... those ribs... I still have a stomach ache.

• Like 16

Thanks... rub it in... :(

But seriously, it looks very nice. When I told GatorGirl that we couldn't go today because of the time, she asked, "But we're eating there Saturday, right?" I think I have a little Reds fan on my hands! :D

Wish I could have been there with you guys, but a little thing called employment in a department with very inflexible hours got in the way. I would have had to take the whole day off... I'm already doing that for Gatekeeper media day!

• Like 6

That is one awesome picture Ronny!

I wish I could be at Gatekeeper media day. However, I will be headed down to Disney World the next day. I will be hitting up Cedar Point the following Saturday though.

Add in the fact that I am in the midst of a job change, and it is going to be an exciting month of May for me!

• Like 2

^ Looks to be only testing. The Reds Hall of Fame Diner looks awesome! Do they sell mixed drinks there as well? It looks like this is going to be a must visit for me. The bar top is a really great idea! Whoever thought of that needs a raise. Way to turn a crummy building into somethign awesome not only for the park but for Cincinnati!

Was Diamondback open? If so was it alot smoother or faster or any difference?

Well, the pictures have people on the ride and someone manning the front gate, plus the information given by Boddah did say Diamondback would be open...

Feel free to interpret that however you wish.

• Like 2

GOCC posted an album of photos from Media Day on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=521727847889855&set=a.521727777889862.1073741834.115430945186216

This one in particular caught my eye (credit to GOCC Vice-President Ken Srail and Treasurer Tom Dedrick):

163549_521728961223077_29005136_n.jpg

$2.59 for fountain drinks is a lot cheaper than the $3.79/$3.99 that I'm used to at KI. I hope that 1) this includes free refills while in the Reds Grille, and 2) this relatively low price is not isolated to just the Reds Grille and is reflective of lower prices throughout the park. I give #1 higher chances than #2.

• Like 3

That is a really good price for soft drinks! I too wonder if it will be free refills. Johnny Rockets at Cedar Point (another sit down restaurant) did have free refills last season. Keep in mind that there will be gratuity required since it is a table service restaurant. I am excited to check out the cafe with my girlfriend the first time we are at the park together!

I heard the cafe mentioned on 700WLW tonight before the Reds pregame show! Very cool indeed!

• Like 1

That is a really good price for soft drinks! I too wonder if it will be free refills. Johnny Rockets at Cedar Point (another sit down restaurant) did have free refills last season.

When I was at Cedar Point in 2011, all of the sit-down restaurants I ate in had free refills, including the Perkins and TGI Friday's inside Hotel Breakers.

That is a really good price for soft drinks!

All of the prices on the menu are very competitive, even for a restaurant outside of an amusement park. My only (minor) disappointment is that the "healthful" options seem limited to salad and slaw.

Any word on how table seating will work? I foresee some very long waits.

• Like 2

I'm really surprised at how the price of the food is relatively cheap for a sit down restaurant. It seems to match up with places such as Chilis and Applebees. I just had it in my mind that it would cost 15 bucks for a hamburger and fries, I'm very relieved that's not the case.

• Like 2

I wonder if you can go in and just get drinks. B)

There's a full service bar, so of course you can. Just remember that they'll be served in glassware and that you'll be paying gratuities.

I'm really surprised at how the price of the food is relatively cheap for a sit down restaurant. It seems to match up with places such as Chilis and Applebees. I just had it in my mind that it would cost 15 bucks for a hamburger and fries, I'm very relieved that's not the case.

It's been hinted that there will be special passholder offer(s) here, so it's possible that it will be an even better deal.
  • Like 2

Keep in mind that there will be gratuity required since it is a table service restaurant.

Gratuity required?

Is the HoFG going to charge a gratuity % for all/ any service like other restaurants do with tables of 8 or more?

I ask because this "requirement" would be a major shift in table service policies for CF. I typically overtip for good service because of my past being in the food service industry, but "requiring" a tip leaves a bad taste in my mouth as bad service should not be encouraged.

• Like 9