Early Signs of 2014 Expansion?

BoddaH1994

Seeing those footers kind of kills my hope for a wooden coaster :( ...woodies have TONS of footers, along what will eventually be the path of the track, and not at all spread out anywhere...take a look at, for example, this:

3ev0sthit1ka0tou1ifo00.jpg

(Useless bonus points if you can guess what ride this was under construction...)

The supports coming up in the old Thunder Alley area do not look like this at all. They appear, instead, to be steel coaster supports. And then the 308' teaser hints at a Giga Coaster...but, if so...why the heck is Cedar Fair still so interested in making sure Millennium Force is the tallest non-launched steel coaster in the country when they build other gigas? It baffles me- oh well, bigger is not always better.

I'm hoping that, if this is a giga, that is is very different from Diamondback- as in NOT an out-and-back, and while it can have some airtime hills and good airtime, I don't want another ride that is...drop, hill, hill, hill, turnaround, hill, helix, mcbr, hill, hill, helix, splashdown, brakes...or anything even close to that. B&M can make other, very different layouts for their mega coasters, with, say, speed as main a focus instead of airtime. Not to mention I'd love to see the Giga use that terrain to better effect that what Diamondback did...Kings Island kinda blew the whole "terrain" aspect of that ride, with 1 drop into a tiny ravine and that's it. Come to think of it, a 300' version (similar, not a carbon copy) of Raging Bull @ SFGam, minus the excessive trim brakes, or B&M's version of I305 (same thing, since B&M would NOT carbon-copy I305!) would be more than welcome...and if this is an Intamin (which I would like, because then the B&M Hyper vs. Intamin Giga debate could be settled by a trip to KI!), well, throw all that out because I'm pretty sure it would end up very different from Diamondback then.

Alas, I still think the park proabably should have gone in a different direction if this is a giga, because it's not really what the park needs. We have our giant steel coaster already, I'd rather see a smooth looping floorless, a inverted coaster, or some type of modern wooden coaster (the 3 the park has are all old-fashioned woodies, which is fine, but I'd like to have seen something new join them). This could still be a very good ride...I'm just hoping it's different enough that its existance helps Diamondback, rather than "BIG NEW COSTAH IZ HERE! I DO ALL STUFF Diamondback DOES, BUT AM BIGGER!" Diamondback: "FUDGE." :P

• Like 2

^^
True, at this point, all we can do is assume, since all we have there are footers. And, thinking about it, the 308' could be a distraction...kind of like "HUSS Giant Frisbee" back at Carowinds a while back...we all know what that really was...another WindSeeker.

I'm guessing this is a steel coaster of some sort, comparing it to what we saw before Diamondback was built. Now, of what type, that is the real question, because there are so many different ones...even when track shows up, all that will do is reveal who is building said new coaster. B&M has a bunch of coaster styles, but the track for nearly all of them seems almost identical. Intamin's blitz coaster track is very similar looking to the giga coaster track. Among others. This new coaster could even be, dare I say it...

Sometime in July...
Don Helbig comes on stage

Don Helbig: Hello everyone I would like to introduce, Project 308! The world's first Vekoma Giga Coaster!
(Everyone screams in agony)

Hey, it is quite possible...not that I really expect a Vekoma Giga Coaster, of course...until someone sneaks up and takes a picture of a piece of track with a label of some sort on it...

• Like 2

I was imagining something more along the lines of a 300' looping style Vekoma, which for whatever reason still had OTSRs...can you say "ow" at the bottom of that 300' drop when the train enters a curve at 90mph?

Granted, I have heard Vekoma is apparently working on their track work...as in, they have a new style of track for the flying coasters and stuff very different that what Firehawk has, etc. (Checks Vekoma's web site) Yeah, the picture at the top for "Flying Dutchman" shows a different track style...

It was also a bit of a joke, playing off Vekoma's rep among coaster enthsiasts (their coasters are not seen as smooth, which is a major problem if you are going to go 300' and 90+mph)...and of a coaster type Vekoma, at least for now, does not even make...

my .02, I just want another coaster.

What I would like to see is one of the newer style woody's, like Hades or Outlaw Run. I am very partial to Wooden coasters, love the feel (rougher is better, that's what she said) and the presentation of wooden coasters looks so cool to me.

If we were to get something like a Giga/Wing, I think that would be great. I would hate to see something be close to "cloning" Gatekeeper if we were to get a wing though. Cedar Fair has something for us, we'll find out soon enough.

Sigh...I just had to do it...even though I suck at this sort of thing, I was wondering "If it is a giga, what will it look like as we drive up to the park?"...so I found a picture I took from Google Maps, used SOB's 218-foot lift hill as a rough estimate for how "big" the new ride should look, erased SOB, and added a poorly drawn giga...resulting in this:

2014LOLZv2_zps177c5c11.png?t=1367132948

:P Also, forgive lack of WindSeeker...anyhow, this is my guestimate for how a giga will "appear" from Kings Island drive...enjoy. Also forgive my sloppy repairs to fix Sling Shot, which was "damaged" a bit as I removed SOB...

Oh, worth noting- notice how, due to the Giga's placement in the "back" of the park, Diamondback looks bigger due to being much closer...if this really does happen, wonder if there will be park-goers who insist Diamondback is bigger...incorrectly, of course...

• Like 4

While I agree the footers (footings) don't line up like they should for a wooden coaster, I still think this is wood. There are too many of them (20) in such a small area. Also, compare the size of them to steel footers (footings), they look too small to be steel (Diamondback's are huge, and I305 all appear to be squares.)

Wait, you mean Kings Island is not only adding a B&M Giga, but an Intamin Plug N' Play wooden coaster, a Gravity Group Wooden Coaster, a GCI Wooden Coaster, a RMC Wooden Coaster with Inversions, a B&M Inverted, a B&M Floorless, a B&M Wing Coaster, a B&M Stand-Up, a Intamin Blitz Coaster (like Maverick @ CP), a Intamin Rocket Coaster like TTD/Kingda Ka, re-locating the Geuaga Lake Big Dipper here, New Antique Cars, New Flying Scooters, a Zipper, a Tilt-A-Whirl, a S&S Screamin' Swing, a HUSS Jump2, a new HUSS Suspended Top Spin (Crypt replacement HO!), an Intamin Aquatrax, a 2nd Log Flume, a second kids area, a massive waterpark expansion with over 20 new water slides and water coasters, a second lazy river, and a 3rd wave pool, bringing back Phantom Theatre, re-painting The Racer its old colors and also re-painting other rides, upgrading the appearance of the park everywhere, re-theming and re-naming the awful former Paramount rides like Drop Tower and Flight Deck, installing weaker trim brakes on Beast, upgrading the food to levels that make Knoebels look terrible in comparison, adding free drinks like Holiday World, AND adding a resort hotel complete with indoor waterpark and golf course (SUCK ON DAT GREAT WOLF LODGE!)...!?!?

darn, that would be so awesome, but I'm thinking it would cost somewhere in the range of hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars...Matt Ouimet would be so fired the very next day for poor management of money! :P Granted, Kings Island would be named "Best Amusement Park in The World" instantly by everyone. And they can charge $500 for tickets and people would STILL come!

Alas, it is impossible...in real life...yet, you can do said stuff I listed above in RCT or other games easily. :P

• Like 6

While I agree the footers (footings) don't line up like they should for a wooden coaster, I still think this is wood. There are too many of them (20) in such a small area. Also, compare the size of them to steel footers (footings), they look too small to be steel (Diamondback's are huge, and I305 all appear to be squares.)

I realize that Skyrush isn't a giga but it does have round footers, for whatever that's worth.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned of a B&M dive coaster at Kings Island? Maybe that is the diversion. Sorry Terp. :ph34r:

Crud, I forgot that one in my big list o' everything KI could add! :wacko:

Come to think of it,a Dive Machine wouldn't be so bad at KI...different from everything else, so no "it competes with Diamondback/any other ride in the park" problem, and Cedar Point doesn't have one either...and they could design it to run numerous trains at once, for excellent capacity...

• Like 1

The footings we see in these pictures could be for the station or the train maintainence shed, if it is a coaster. Look at Diamondback's station during the early construction stage in this picture from rcdb.com:

http://rcdb.com/4253.htm?p=22250

Notice how small the footings are in the station and maintainence shed areas compared to the tracks' footings?

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned of a B&M dive coaster at Kings Island? Maybe that is the diversion. Sorry Terp. :ph34r:

Crud, I forgot that one in my big list o' everything KI could add! :wacko:

Come to think of it,a Dive Machine wouldn't be so bad at KI...different from everything else, so no "it competes with Diamondback/any other ride in the park" problem, and Cedar Point doesn't have one either...and they could design it to run numerous trains at once, for excellent capacity...

And could it even be the tallest dive coaster in the world at 308 ft.? Who knows.