2013 Opening Day at Kings Island

way29

As always opening day at Kings Island was a pleasure.

The weather was nice, the crowds weren't to bad, and the new and even seasoned Kings Island employees were cheerful. They seemed happy to be doing their jobs, laughing and giving high five to kids, and making everyone feel welcome, the way an amusement park should be run.

Of course this all will change as their experience becomes a job and visitors become burdens and that's why I always try to plan my Kings Island trips early in the year.

Here is an example of what I mean.

Beginning of the year at the Cotton Candy Stand.

Me: Hi, can I have 2 cotton candies and a bottle of water ?

KI: Sure, just a sec, and that will be $10.77

Me: Here you go, handing over a $20

KI: Here are your 2 cotton candies, and a water, and your change, and have a great day at Kings Island.

Mid Year at the Cotton Candy Stand.

Me: Hi, can I have 2 cotton candies and a bottle of water ?

KI: I don't have no cotton candy

Me: Isn't this a cotton candy stand

KI: I have popcorn and (gets in a conversation with coworker and forgets about customer)

Me: OK can I have 2 popcorns

KI: Ten Fifty

Me: Here you go, handing over $20

KI: (chats with coworkers)

Me: (waits patently)

KI: Hands me 1 popcorn and no change

Me: (waits for other popcorn and water)

KI: (chats with coworkers then takes order from next customer)

Me: Can I please have my other popcorn and water ?

KI: Seven Dollar

Me: I already paid you for 2 popcorns and a water and only got 1 popcorn

KI: (rolls eyes) gets a popcorn and hands it to me

Me: Thanks, can I have my water

KI: (stares at me blankly then goes and gets a water and hands it to me)

Me: Thanks

KI: (i think he mumbled go f*ck yourself)

Me: (next time i will bring my own snacks and beverages)

End of the Year at the Cotton Candy Stand.

Me: (walking up to the cotton candy stand since i forgot my own snacks and beverages)

KI: CLOSED

• Like 2

I've learned that the best stands are the bigger stands for those things. i don't bother with the little mobile stands unless its for a drink. I get the mindset of some of the staff (being mainly high school/college aged), but it does become a pain in the butt later in the season when they've been working day after day in the heart especially.

Now with the new re-entry policy and lack of Fun Perks i'll just leave and come back when i'm hungry for the most part.

As always opening day at Kings Island was a pleasure.

The weather was nice, the crowds weren't to bad, and the new and even seasoned Kings Island employees were cheerful. They seemed happy to be doing their jobs, laughing and giving high five to kids, and making everyone feel welcome, the way an amusement park should be run.

Crowds weren't bad? When in the day did you go? From about 10:30 to 5:30 every ride had at least a 45 minute wait, the larger rides had waits that easily exceeded an hour, because of that I literally got to ride three rides yesterday. My friends,mom, and I actually decided to just leave around 5:30 because the crowds were so awful.

I went during the evening (7 p.m. - 10 p.m.). It was still a little crowded at first, but during the last hour the lines were pretty short. Vortex's line was so short that I was able to stay on it for 4 consecutive cycles (I got to the ride at about 9:47; had I got there earlier I may have gotten more rides in). Racer and Adventure Express had station waits.

• Like 1