Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

Of course it could all be a DIVErsion or a TALL tale, but reading the sign and seeing the scheme being identical to the original SOB, I am currently thinking it could be a new and improved SOB. Like SOB rises from the grave to haunt all who dare to ride it. They have been over SOB hundreds of times trying to figure out how to improve it. If there's one coaster I'd think they would consider a sure bet to rebuild, it would be SOB. I would think they would be able to do it cheaper than building a brand new coaster from scratch because they could use parts off of SOB.

• Like 3

I'm also wondering how the manufacturer alone would automatically mean the new ride adds much more variety than anything from any other manufacturer.

I would think the type of ride itself would make more of a difference in that area than who manufactured it - especially from the perspective of the average amusement park guest. If we were to get an Intamin launch coaster for instance, the average guest would be wondering why we got another launch coaster rather than being excited about it being an Intamin or about whatever would be different between that and Flight of Fear.

Of course it could all be a DIVErsion or a TALL tale, but reading the sign and seeing the scheme being identical to the original SOB, I am currently thinking it could be a new and improved SOB. Like SOB rises from the grave to haunt all who dare to ride it. They have been over SOB hundreds of times trying to figure out how to improve it. If there's one coaster I'd think they would consider a sure bet to rebuild, it would be SOB. I would think they would be able to do it cheaper than building a brand new coaster from scratch because they could use parts off of SOB.

You mean ask for the parts back that they sold to the public?

• Like 1

I heard they're using the wood for the wood fired grills at the new Reds Hall of Fame restaurant.

I kid, I kid.

Anyone who saw the videos of that thing coming down realize most of it had to be scrapped, recycled or sold off as souveniors to the general public. Not a ton of it would be in good enough shape at that point to reuse it as part of a new roller coaster design.

Given the bad press (as well as the significant cost) associated w/ SOB, the park would be wise to avoid any semblance of the ride going up in the same place, otherwise rumors are going to run rampant in short order that "thats the ride all those people died on" even if no one actually died, its debatable if the ride itself caused the significant injuries dictated by the lawsuit or if it was a pre-existing conditioned worsened by the ride, and the ride it self was completely removed. Put up something steel, and something reliable. The time will come for another woodie in the park, that time is just not today.

• Like 3

I'm thinking, based on the color scheme and style of the teaser poster, that it's more of a red herring and just a follow up to the demo of SoB to sort of let it rest in peace... I would think they'd start in with the teasers with some truth to them later on in the season...

• Like 1

I'm not saying I agree with SOB resurrection, just saying what we are looking at as "clues" could be interpreted that way, and trying to see why it might make sense. I agree overcoming the stigma left by SOB would be a challenge, but if it says "biggest, tallest, loopiest,etc" people will ride it and a smoother, better ride would overcome the old rep fairly quickly. SOB developed the rough tag pretty early on and people still lined up to ride it, and many say they miss it.

• Like 1

Anyone else out there taking into consideration the possibility of a ride like Verbolten? The old SOB terrain would work perfectly for a ride like that.

That would be...AMAZING! I took my first trip to BGW last year and was blown away...Verbolten was incredible- even with half the theming it would be a welcome addition to KI in my eyes...

Time will tell what direction the park is taking...

Honestly when I saw the footers for the first time I thought luminosity stage. It doesn't really line up with the teasers but would explain the break in the two pieces of land. A new attraction and a new ride to put the action back in Action Zone.

Even though I do feel compelled to believe its a new coaster, I hope it's not. That would be a waste of land to put a coaster on the edge where sob ran. If KI plans to install a coaster I really hope they place it behind flight deck to accommodate other rides.

Behind flight deck?!?! Wait, behind in which direction?

Even though I do feel compelled to believe its a new coaster, I hope it's not. That would be a waste of land to put a coaster on the edge where sob ran. If KI plans to install a coaster I really hope they place it behind flight deck to accommodate other rides.

So in other words, build the new coaster on top of Great Wolf Lodge on land the park doesn't own.

Good idea.

• Like 2

So in other words, build the new coaster on top of Great Wolf Lodge on land the park doesn't own.

Good idea.

So you're telling me that Great Wolf Lodge owns all this land circled here?

55ED7AFD-EBA2-41BF-A330-EB5322633FF6-412

Hmmm, I thought KI owned that....

I am very biased on this because I am rooting for a large Intamin coaster or a Leviathan type B&M coaster. If they were to remake a SoB type ride, why would they need to tear down TA and have footers over by TA. Wouldn't they just use the same station and area for the "upgraded SoB"? As said before, they're so many idiots out there that would say that the new ride killed people it would instantly have a bad rep. If i were in charge of this whole project, I would want to replace SoB with another large coaster. In 2009, Son of Beast and Diamondback were the two largest coasters in the park. It would make sence to replace it with a larger coaster.

Good idea.

It takes some serious motivation to get me all the way through Flight Deck's queue line, why in the world would they even consider putting rides further away from the main entrance of the park than Flight Deck?

someone explain to me why they think its a good idea to rebuild SOB? Im trying to get my head wrapped around that idea... but i cant. Just cant. So instead of retracking/retrofitting the ride... they would tear it down and rebuild it exactly the same way, but smoother?

• Like 8

Good idea.

Any way you spin it, it's still a bad idea. Why waste trees and resources clearing a forested land when there's literally 12 acres of free land right next to it?
  • Like 1

Okay SOB, I kind of see where you're coming from if you do something like this:

8693174797_03b35c7dc0.jpg

But even so The Crypt is right, and getting rid of a bunch more trees would make the park look kinda dumpy.

Also...

someone explain to me why they think its a good idea to rebuild SOB? Im trying to get my head wrapped around that idea... but i cant. Just cant. So instead of retracking/retrofitting the ride... they would tear it down and rebuild it exactly the same way, but smoother?

Who told you this?

I don't think it is a good idea, but the "warning" signs we see seem to be making a reference to SOB. I don't think retracking or retrofitting the ride was an option, or they would have done it. I think the problems it had would have continued so they just dismantled it. SOB wasn't a bad idea or a bad coaster, it appears it wasn't installed properly. Redoing it perhaps with a couple new wrinkles isn't going to result in a bad coaster. With all the work, rework and troubleshooting they were forced to do with SOB, if they were to rebuild it, i would think they would have it all worked out already.Personally, I'd like to see a 311' 94 mph Leviathan type coaster, but right now what I see doesn't lead me in that direction. It's extremely early on in the process, but it's fun to let your imagination go and think of what might be.

• Like 3