Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

From what I have read, Ouimet was not happy with Luminosity. He didn't like the price point, I believe $3 million. That is why the show is being done in house this year and will have major changes.

I don't see Luminosity coming to Kings Island or any of the other parks. The point of Luminosity was to keep people in the park for longer periods of time. Kings Island already has fireworks to keep people in the park.

It was $6 million and in the words of John Hildebrandt, "it succeeded expectations." I think everyone, including Matt were very impressed with its results. I do see it expanding to other parks because it takes over the nighttime show. Cedar Point had a nighttime show but they stil got Luminosity and I think we could see the same thing at Kings Island.

From what I have read, Ouimet was not happy with Luminosity. He didn't like the price point, I believe $3 million. That is why the show is being done in house this year and will have major changes.

I don't see Luminosity coming to Kings Island or any of the other parks. The point of Luminosity was to keep people in the park for longer periods of time. Kings Island already has fireworks to keep people in the park.

Couldn't Kings Island just use one of its other stages for Luminosity anyway? International Showplace? Would seem kind of silly to build a big new stage when a few hundred feet away is Timberwolf.

Why not just use the International Street Bandstand like they did last year? Last year, they did shows of Hot Summer Nights right after the fireworks, keeping people in the park well after closing. I'd be willing to bet that they'll do the same with Playlist Live! when that gets started in June.

• Like 4

I think a Luminosity style show would be perfect for Action Zone. The area where the fake water tower used to be is a perfect area to set up a midway show like that. At least, I think it has more potential than just a slab of concrete in the middle of the park.

Concerning the construction, I wouldn't mind if Kings Island pulled what Knott's did this year in adding a few rides to the area. If its a coaster,I hope they design it with future expansion around it in mind.

I would think a luminosity type show in Action Zone would be better recieved once the Action Zone revamp has been finished, or at least moved a few steps forward.

I think a Luminosity style show would be perfect for Action Zone. The area where the fake water tower used to be is a perfect area to set up a midway show like that. At least, I think it has more potential than just a slab of concrete in the middle of the park.

Concerning the construction, I wouldn't mind if Kings Island pulled what Knott's did this year in adding a few rides to the area. If its a coaster,I hope they design it with future expansion around it in mind.

I would think a luminosity type show in Action Zone would be better recieved once the Action Zone revamp has been finished, or at least moved a few steps forward.

I agree. Luminosity is pretty cool and it could be a great addition to the "newly revamped" Action Zone. That being said, there has to be a star to the revamped area. It has to be something that will bring people to that area and in my opinion, it needs to be a roller coaster. Just look at DB, that area of the park was dead for years. Now DB has some of the longest lines in the park(in terms of pph) and it even brings longer lines to the other rides in that area. Beast, for example, has seemed to have longer average lines since DB opened than I have seen in my 10 years of being a passholder.

Just my two cents.

• Like 3

Just look at DB, that area of the park was dead for years. Now DB has some of the longest lines in the park(in terms of pph) and it even brings longer lines to the other rides in that area. Beast, for example, has seemed to have longer average lines since DB opened than I have seen in my 10 years of being a passholder.

Yes you are right about Beast lines, also the closure of a taller wooden roller coaster has played a part in the longer lines.

• Like 1

Those yellow and black stripes tell the story! What else could it mean?

A bumblebee. Flying around on an inverted B&M themed to a bee, named Stinger.

I'd think, you would be getting a call from the Columbus Blue Jackets to turn it into a hockey themed coaster showing their pride and joy mascot. Yup, you guessed it, "Stinger".

Edit - well this was a pointless post. I overlooked, Jr for Birdy already brought up stinger and the Jackets. Whoops :(

You guys are forgetting the old Cincinnati Stingers of the 1970's WHA...come on, men!

I would adore a hockey-themed coaster, though.

Anyway, I believe that this sign just opens up a whole new barrel of monkeys that could mean anything or nothing at all. I am excited, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. I like reading all of your ideas, however far-fetched or reasonable they may be.

It's an interesting time at KI.

I could never forget about the Cincinnati Stingers. I have played hockey, literally, my entire life. If one things for sure, its that I love me some hockey.

• Like 2

The yellow and black stripes is nothing more than a bright warning to make you take notice that construction is taking place. It is the wording in the block within the yellow and black stripes that is important as far as the clue or clues are concerned. The design and coloring of the stripes is designed to make you take heed and caution that construction is taking place.

• Like 2

Maybe a little off topic and probably already discussed, but I read that the old six flag KY is planning a reopening in '14. I never visited, but I saw they have like 4 coasters and plans to build a $15 mil one for the opening. This will draw some business away from KI even if it is a much lesser park. Hopefully whatever CF has in mind can be bold enough to offset whatever loss they may get. Granted the $15 mil price tag doesn't scream "you have to ride this" it will still probably be a cool roller coaster. $15 mil is still a lot of money. CF needs to make sure KI is the only place around that matters, and I think a play off The Beast or SOB is a gamble as some will see it as dated and old hat. Although, seeing the sign and knowing the sentimental value of all things Beast, I can't dismiss the possibility of some sort of SOB resurrection.

• Like 3

This area is of some intrigue. Being in Florida has kept me from the park for some time, but if memory serves, SoB was not on the land highlighted? Anyone know if this has always been cleared? Or am I just seeing things?

30kzx43.jpg

• Like 4

^Looking at Google Maps (which still shows S.O.B.) it would appear that the land in the spot you highlighted has been cleared/leveled. It looks like there were several piles of dirt and rock that are no longer there. All the trees still seem to be there though.

Shut up about SoB please. Everyone.

Oh, I forgot, this is KIC.

hooky, who believes that a steel coaster is being built. Possibly a new looper as Vortex is aging. Not sinking, aging.

Whew, glad you showed up to set it straight. Well, there it is. The sign is telling us it's a Vortex style looper. I don't know how I didn't see it. Son of Vortex, or they can just shorten it to Sex.

• Like 3

Shut up about SoB please. Everyone.

Oh, I forgot, this is KIC.

hooky, who believes that a steel coaster is being built. Possibly a new looper as Vortex is aging. Not sinking, aging.

That was rude....

He is right though.....

Hoping for a wing rider or giga.

^^
Umm...not all record-breaking coasters fail like SOB did. Some DO turn out great, see:

The Beast, Kings Island

Opened in 1979 with the largest drop (141'), fastest top speed (64.8mph), and longest track (7,359') of any roller coaster in the world. Opened to rave reviews. 34 years later, the ride continues to thrill riders and is still one of the most popular rides in the world.

Vortex, Kings Island

Opened in 1987 as the tallest full-circut roller coaster in the United States at 148', and as the first to go upside down six times. The ride opened to rave reviews, and 26 years later, it remains a staple in Kings Island's lineup. While rumors of its removal in the near future exist, these are not due to the ride being seriously flawed or anything, but rather it simply reaching the end of its normal lifespan.

Magnum XL-200, Cedar Point

Opened in 1989 as the world's tallest roller coaster (205'), with the biggest drop (194.7'), and highest top speed (72mph) among all complete-circuit roller coasters. Opened to rave reviews. 24 years later, it is still a popular attraction at Cedar Point and still has a large fanbase.

Alpengeist, Busch Gardens Williamsburg (because Beastrider even mentioned this one)

Opened in 1997, Alpengeist debuted as the tallest full-circut inverted coaster in the world at a massive 195', as well as the fastest at 67mph until Volcano: The Blast Coaster opened at Kings Dominion in 1998 (another "successful" record-breaker that's still going strong today). Alpengeist remains a popular attraction at BGW, and is a key part of that park's excellent-looking coaster lineup.

Millennium Force, Cedar Point

Opened in 2000, it was the world's tallest roller coaster (310'), with the biggest drop (300'), and fastest speeds (93mph) for a few months until Steel Dragon 2000 opened in Japan. The ride is insanely popular, and has won numerous awards and is considered by many one of the best steel coasters in the world.

El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure

Opened in 2006, El Toro opened with the steepest drop on any wooden roller coaster in the world (beaten in 2008 by T-Express @ Everland, South Korea). It was also among the tallest wooden coasters, and the 2nd fastest behind the ill-fated Son of Beast (a title that it has now claimed since SOB is no more). El Toro has been a smash hit for SFGadv, and in 2012, it won the Golden Ticket for Best Wood Coaster as well as winning the Mitch Hawker wood coaster poll for the 3rd year in a row, and it is now in a position to win the Hawker poll an unbelieavble 4th straight year...well, unless newcomer Outlaw Run or T-Express (or in a longshot, Voyage) can stop it...

These are just 6 examples (7 if you add the blurb about Volcano). I would not call any of those rides "failures", in fact quite the opposite... There are actually quite a few coasters still going strong today that broke a record or two (or more) when they opened. Going for a record, in itself, is not dumb, so long as you know what you are doing and how to do it safely (which is probably what the above rides did do), and not forget the ride experience itself has to be good...

I'm not saying whatever Kings Island is building has to be record-breaking, but I'm just pointing out...not all record breaking rides end up like Son of Beast. Heck, few rides have ever ended up having their reputations get that bad, though...

• Like 4

^Looking at Google Maps (which still shows S.O.B.) it would appear that the land in the spot you highlighted has been cleared/leveled. It looks like there were several piles of dirt and rock that are no longer there. All the trees still seem to be there though.

It looks like there has been a ton of clearing done back in that area. For what, is anyone's guess, but it would appear that a lot of trees and/or brush has been removed out past the old parts graveyard.

After reading the sign that is posted on the fence, I noticed "mysterious and bone chilling scream" and "evil phenomenon" I was remembering back to possible names for previous coasters. I remember the name Banshee if my memory serves me well. Kinda interesting or maybe a diversion. lol

• Like 1

After reading the sign that is posted on the fence, I noticed "mysterious and bone chilling scream" and "evil phenomenon" I was remembering back to possible names for previous coasters. I remember the name Banshee if my memory serves me well. Kinda interesting or maybe a diversion. lol

Not to nitpick, but I said pretty much the exact same thing a few pages back, on Monday. In fact, it almost seems word for word:

Just my $.02 at the moment. Concerning the "evil phenomenon" causing "bone chilling screams," wasn't there a rumored name circulating last year for Gatekeeper that was similar to "Banshee"? I remember that the discussion happened, because people were questioning that since Banshee was changed to Mantis and that they would never use the rumored name for that reason.... but I can't remember the name thrown out there? Thoughts? Was this rumor based in documentation somewhere (patents, etc)?

Not sure if it was completely coincidental or not, but if so, I guess I'm glad somebody else saw the thought process I did.

• Like 1

^

^^ Trademark applications by major companies can be quickly noticed thanks to automated searches like this one: http://www.trademarkia.com/company-cedar-fair-lp-222594-page-1-2

Notice that Gatekeeper was filed on the day the coaster was announced, whereas Coast Rider was filed early.

Assuming that this is a major attraction, I highly doubt that the trademark application will be filed before the announcement.

The Banshee! :blink::lol:

^

^^ Trademark applications by major companies can be quickly noticed thanks to automated searches like this one: http://www.trademarkia.com/company-cedar-fair-lp-222594-page-1-2

Notice that Gatekeeper was filed on the day the coaster was announced, whereas Coast Rider was filed early.

Assuming that this is a major attraction, I highly doubt that the trademark application will be filed before the announcement.

There is a reason for that. Use in commerce is a condition precedent to registration.

http://www.patent-trademark-law.com/trademark-articles/commerce-uspto-trademark-application/

This area is of some intrigue. Being in Florida has kept me from the park for some time, but if memory serves, SoB was not on the land highlighted? Anyone know if this has always been cleared? Or am I just seeing things?

30kzx43.jpg

The Concrete Pillars That are between the que that leads to Adventure Express and right beside the slingshot launch area, are those the Pillars for the old Monorail or did it have something to do with King Cobra? Probably been answered before, but I cant remember,,,