Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

And some of us, right now, don't even have that option. Leave restriction due to an unexpected very high priority project. It's nice to be needed, though.

Yes, and it's nice to be healing - which means no coasters this year.....but wait until next year when that new giant B&M double-winged, pink polka-dot, steel with wood support coaster opens at KI. I'm gonna be first in line! (might even plead my case to Mr. Q., telling him it's been 3 years since coasters for me because of surgery, so would he please let me ride it before the park officially opens?)

• Like 11

And some of us, right now, don't even have that option. Leave restriction due to an unexpected very high priority project. It's nice to be needed, though.

We'll have to try to fill your shoes Terp - and others, not that we can do so - and some of us will have a frosty adult beverage for you when you can join us.

-Oldie, who always looks for Terp's witty comments!

• Like 3

and some of us will have a frosty adult beverage for you when you can join us.
Hopefully not in line--though they do that in Florida.

Crypt, running away into the woods..

• Like 3

For what it's worth. Awhile ago Screamscape was reporting that Knott's was getting a Giga and then it got delayed. The final rumor was a Leviathon type B&M. Perhaps when a decision was made to remove SOB, KI got bumped up in priority for the next big thing.

Of course, Knott's got a new area and that could be the reason for the delay but, a contract for a coaster may have been made and the location changed to KI. Just thinking.

• Like 5

So, guys, do you think we'll see any significant changes to the construction area this weekend? I plan on going just to take some pictures.

I would only call it significant if footers have been added outside TA's old lot. Then I will start thinking about maybe a coaster.

There are already footers being poured outside Thunder Alley's old area....

From the offices of one Lance Hart:

icon_STOP.gif2014/2015 - New Coaster - (5/6/13) I’ll file this as a very WILD rumor for now, but I did hear a very early whisper claiming that Carowinds may be on the short list of parks under consideration to get a B&M Wing Coaster in 2015. Cross your fingers… but this falls in line somewhat as Carowinds is due for a new coaster in either 2014 or 2015 as it will have been a good number of [years] since the park opened their last coaster, Intimidator back in 2010. If they decide to put the next Wing coaster somewhere else, Carowinds may receive a smaller coaster project instead for 2014.

Wild indeed, but for all you Wing Riding hopefuls, the last line could mean KI might get a Wing Rider before Carowinds does.

If Carowinds does get a Wing Rider, I just hope Cedar Fair does not theme it to the Wright Brothers. They were using them as part of their WindSeeker ad.

Not only is Kitty Hawk closer to Kings Dominion than to Charlotte, the Wright Brothers should arguably be given credit instead to the southwestern Ohio park they have.

• Like 2

While we only have a few amount of footings to go by and I'm certain more will be set/placed at time goes on, one thing has potentially irked me about the "transfer track" set:

If it were to be a Beemer coaster, shouldn't the transfer track/storage building be much longer than a mere three rows of footings? Diamondback's is at least 7-8 rows deep. We might be talking about a coaster that only seats, at the maximum, 16 people per train, rather than the standard Beemer 32. And the way it currently (as of 5/5) looks, it reminds me more of what Verbolten at Busch Gardens' storage building/transfer track looks like:

1bkelpispqkiujh4us0023.jpg

mj0pispqgiuo94us00244l.jpg

• Like 1

The area where SOB and Thunder Alley used to be is huge and they have only just begun to dig footings for whatever future attraction they have planned. Look for when they expand into other areas and start to place heavy equipment and start actual construction once the prep work is completed. As time goes on, we should be given other clues or teasers to ponder among ourselves.

While we only have a few amount of footings to go by and I'm certain more will be set/placed at time goes on, one thing has potentially irked me about the "transfer track" set:

If it were to be a Beemer coaster, shouldn't the transfer track/storage building be much longer than a mere three rows of footings? Diamondback's is at least 7-8 rows deep. We might be talking about a coaster that only seats, at the maximum, 16 people per train, rather than the standard Beemer 32...

Remember that Leviathan uses B&M's older four across trains and not the staggered stadium seating like Diamondback has.

And that B&M managed to squish Leviathan's station and transfer track/shed into a rather small area: http://leviathan.canadaswonderland.com/_upload/galleries/construction_gallery/2012%20September%2025%20005.jpg

That picture is interesting because a lot of discussion has been about the square vs. circular footings. In the pic we see both. The rows look similar to the pics of KI construction also. And that fence, looks almost exactly like the fence here! The fence is the giveaway. (Ok I'm just kidding about the fence) I'm sure a lot of early construction looks similar. I haven't really seen a lot of roller coaster construction pics.

• Like 1

And that B&M managed to squish Leviathan's station and transfer track/shed into a rather small area: http://leviathan.canadaswonderland.com/_upload/galleries/construction_gallery/2012%20September%2025%20005.jpg

Interesting that it's all one long block instead of (mostly) singular footings. Given the similarities between Behemoth and Diamondback on their transfer tracks, shouldn't the same be said for Leviathan and 'Banshee' if it's assumed to be a Beemer giga?

Also, I can't believe I'm looking this hard into a set of footings...o_0

• Like 1

Some folks were asking about height restrictions in Mason/Deerfield Township. I'm not sure if anyone has brought up the fact that there is a 747ft tall radio tower (700 WLW) just a few miles from the park. I can't imagine Kings Island putting something in that tall, but I also know that Deerfield Twp doesn't currently have height restrictions listed in its zoning laws for the construction of some buildings. Nothing in that area is really tall besides rides at KI and the WLW tower. Not really sure about any FAA restrictions in the area.

• Like 2

So, guys, do you think we'll see any significant changes to the construction area this weekend? I plan on going just to take some pictures.

I would only call it significant if footers have been added outside TA's old lot. Then I will start thinking about maybe a coaster.

There are already footers being poured outside Thunder Alley's old area....

Really? Been at KI every day since it opened? I have yet to see that? Must be blind is me!

• Like 1

If it were to be a Beemer coaster, shouldn't the transfer track/storage building be much longer than a mere three rows of footings? Diamondback's is at least 7-8 rows deep. We might be talking about a coaster that only seats, at the maximum, 16 people per train, rather than the standard Beemer 32. And the way it currently (as of 5/5) looks, it reminds me more of what Verbolten at Busch Gardens' storage building/transfer track looks like:

1bkelpispqkiujh4us0023.jpg

mj0pispqgiuo94us00244l.jpg

I can think of a B&M train that is three rows and very wide.

• Like 3

from pointbuzz.com's live feed of Gatekeeper media day:

Matt Ouimet teases future, saying Rob Decker already given his next challenge.

http://live.pointbuzz.com/Home/Item/1047

Obviously, that is very vague...but just thought I should bring it up. Rob Decker is the Corporate Vice President, Planning & Design. Another early reviewer of Gatekeeper stated that Ouimet teased ""we have given B&M a new job."

As far as I can tell, there are no other reports of new footers outside of Kings Island. As to be expected, there are rumors at a lot of parks about possible rides/coasters, but we seem to be the only park with visible evidence...

• Like 1

As far as I can tell, there are no other reports of new footers outside of Kings Island. As to be expected, there are rumors at a lot of parks about possible rides/coasters, but we seem to be the only park with visible evidence...

from pointbuzz.com's live feed of Gatekeeper media day:

Matt Ouimet teases future, saying Rob Decker already given his next challenge.

http://live.pointbuzz.com/Home/Item/1047

Obviously, that is very vague...but just thought I should bring it up. Rob Decker is the Corporate Vice President, Planning & Design. Another early reviewer of Gatekeeper stated that Ouimet teased ""we have given B&M a new job."

Well that's good news for us but not for parks that haven't had a new one in a long time. Im looking right at you Dorney and Valleyfair!.

And that pretty much proves its a B&M and that its for us. But its pure speculation at this point.

Assume Mr O isn't trying to "throw off the scent" and a new B & M is indeed coming to a CF park, I think you're statement moves beyond speculation.

Connect the dots: tear down SOB, clear a bunch of additional land, install footers,footers appear to indicate a coaster, more specifically a steel coaster, B & M has been hired, there are no reported signs of coaster construction going on at any of their other parks.

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, tastes like a duck, it must be a duck.

It would be wise to leave room that B & M could be hired for the next project beyond whatever is going on at KI right now, but in his short tenure, Mr O seems to be a straight shooter, not one to mislead w/ his statements, and he obviously knows that the construction at KI has been noticed.

• Like 4

That was obvious to anyone who was there this past weekend...if one bothered to look.

KI is not really trying to hide anything, not obscuring the construction that is going on. The only thing left to do at this point is to hold the press conference to announce the name of what they are building.