Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

"Bone-Chilling Screams?" I wonder if a sound effect is going to be deliberately engineered into the ride. I can imagine some kind of multi-chime, "siren-whistle" that would use the air through which the cars were moving to make a distinctive sound during certain acceleration elements (drops, launches, etc.) I'm sure if such a thing were designed in, consideration would be taken as to decibels, frequency, etc. Just a thought.

• Like 2

Thanks for the pic. That's what I am referring to. In the DB construction picture, we see work being done in a large area. We see footings being set all along the way. In the recent construction, we see the work concentrated in just one area. I hope it's just so early in the process, they haven't moved outward yet.

In the Diamondback Picture, those are trees cut down by the train, not footers. The footings (correct me if I'm wrong) appear to only be in the station/ splashdown area at that point.

• Like 1

The more extensive work at this point in the season for DB may have been due to the fact that a lot more prep work had to be done in clearing all the trees and grading the land. Just guessing here, but this site is already cleared and much more ready to go, so my guess is they wouldn't have to start so soon or be so far along. Then again, I don't know a lot about the specifics of a construction process.

• Like 1

"Bone-Chilling Screams?" I wonder if a sound effect is going to be deliberately engineered into the ride. I can imagine some kind of multi-chime, "siren-whistle" that would use the air through which the cars were moving to make a distinctive sound during certain acceleration elements (drops, launches, etc.) I'm sure if such a thing were designed in, consideration would be taken as to decibels, frequency, etc. Just a thought.

That's a really cool idea.. the trains designed to give off a screaming whistling sound... but then again the roar of the track would probably drown it out

In the Diamondback Picture, those are trees cut down by the train, not footers. The footings (correct me if I'm wrong) appear to only be in the station/ splashdown area at that point.

Ok, that makes sense. They do look like the wood frames for footers, but I think you are right. They are cut trees.

The more extensive work at this point in the season for DB may have been due to the fact that a lot more prep work had to be done in clearing all the trees and grading the land. Just guessing here, but this site is already cleared and much more ready to go, so my guess is they wouldn't have to start so soon or be so far along. Then again, I don't know a lot about the specifics of a construction process.

That is part of my wonder. Since there isn't a large land clearing, seems to me we'd see more work in a wider area, but like you, I don't know much about specifics either. I just have seen some other construction pics that seem to be a little different in the process. As I have seen earlier, I do want a giga, too, but when I look at Leviathan and I-305 early pics, I don't see a lot of similarities.

Anyone notice that the Action Zone restrooms that sit right beside the construction area has been repainted on the outside? They also took down the black cutouts on the walls outside the restrooms that were in shape of a Man for the Mens room and the Woman for the Womens room. In place of these they put up new signs that state it's the Mens room, and Womens room. This was not done on Opening day, so this has had to happen after the park opened. Yesterday was my 3rd trip to KI for the season and just noticed this!

Diverticulitis: 1. Diverticulitis is small, bulging sacs or pouches of the inner lining of the intestine (diverticulosis) that become inflamed or infected. Most often, these pouches are in the large intestine (colon). 2. Any coment made by a KI staff member that some one from KIC tries to deceifer.

In other words, the only thing it can be is a wooden, winged, giga, dive machine called "Crazy Horse". Or just some restrooms for X-Base, but I divertly digress.

• Like 2

The only reason we have Firehawk is from Geauga Lake's closure. Our only rides from them otherwise are Invertigo and Aerial Ace. I'm pretty sure Cedar Fair hasn't dealt with them in quite a while, plus I don't think Vekoma builds to the scale we're anticipating for the 2014 ride.

@TheCrypt- I'm also in the boat of not wanting a giga coaster. I know the evidence points to one, but I'm kind of pulling for an inverted coaster or a dive machine.

BTW, for those wanting floorless, dive machines come with floorless cars now.

The only reason we have Firehawk is from Geauga Lake's closure. Our only rides from them otherwise are Invertigo and Aerial Ace. I'm pretty sure Cedar Fair hasn't dealt with them in quite a while, plus I don't think Vekoma builds to the scale we're anticipating for the 2014 ride.

@TheCrypt- I'm also in the boat of not wanting a giga coaster. I know the evidence points to one, but I'm kind of pulling for an inverted coaster or a dive machine.

BTW, for those wanting floorless, dive machines come with floorless cars now.

Yeah I was aware of the move from GL. Just saying that everyone is set on a B&M or Intamin but no mention of any other possibilities.

Every time I try to think of what I think this ride will be I get sidetracked in a super uber awesome fantasy idea of mine.

Giga-Dive Coaster.

It just has some sort of ring of amazingness to it. And of course my mind took it even farther and imagined a loop over 200 feet. While I realize this is unlikely, I can't get it out of my mind and I feel that someday this MUST come into existence.

• Like 1

What am I missing here? Other than a random tweet with the number 308, and the fact Canada's Wonderland added Leviathan. What suggests so strongly to it being a B&M Giga? Sure it's a possibilty but I've seen nothing to prove it couldn't be almost any other coaster. Its also a big possibilty this development takes up a fraction of the cleared land from SOB.

• Like 2

First post but I've been reading this board for a while. I've noticed that there's not been a mention of Vekoma. Any chance of something from them since we have Firehawk.

First things first, welcome to KIC, thomasws6!

Another Vekoma coaster is the LAST thing the park needs. Invertigo and Flying Ace run a strict one-train operation, and Firehawk has the worst loading/unloading times in the entire park. A high-capacity people-eater like B&M would be a much better fit for Kings Island.

Now on the subject of the new coaster, if it's B&M, I'm torn between an inverted coaster and a Giga (either that, or maybe the introduction of the B&M launcher to combat Intamin's Blitz coasters). If it isn't B&M...well, not many other options available. Intamin is definitely out of the picture considering every installation at a Cedar Fair park has had issues. Gerstlauer (Mystery Mine & The Smiler) is also out because, again, another high-capacity coaster is needed, and there aren't enough footers to determine if it could be a Zierer construction (the crew behind Verbolten and Thirteen). My only other guess would be something from Mack Rides. The track fabrication is similar in scope to that of Intamin, and a majority of their footings tend to be longer as they hold two supports on one block, which is what the holes being dug out here look like. Could potentially see something like a cross between Sea World San Diego's Manta and the infamous Blue Fire at Europa Park.

I'm another newbie, so please bear with me if I do something wrong.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's speculation and get amazed at how knowledgeable some of you are about coasters. Amazed and jealous.

My question is, how sure is everyone about this "Banshee" name? I did a little searching around and found another company owns the rights to Banshee when it comes to t-shirts and hats. Of course, I could have misunderstood what I was reading. http://www.trademarkia.com/Banshee-77536043.html

• Like 2

What am I missing here? Other than a random tweet with the number 308, and the fact Canada's Wonderland added Leviathan. What suggests so strongly to it being a B&M Giga? Sure it's a possibilty but I've seen nothing to prove it couldn't be almost any other coaster. Its also a big possibilty this development takes up a fraction of the cleared land from SOB.

I completely agree with you. That's why I am puzzled about the concentrated area the work is being done in. Are we looking at something that is only going to take up that space? If it is a roller coaster, there has been nothing to lead us to believe it's a B&M, a giga, or if it is even steel. The only "clues" i have seen are the sign, and what I have seen behind that sign. Everything else is just specualtion.

Welcome aboard, InTheMiddle! The reason some are sure Banshee is the name is because Cedar Fair did trademark the word on 4/24/13: http://www.trademarkia.com/Banshee-85913369.html

And here's the list of products that the name might be used on:

Metal key chains
Souvenir magnets
Posters, postcards
Non-metal and non-leather key chains
Amusement park rides
Amusement park services
  • Like 2

I'm another newbie, so please bear with me if I do something wrong.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's speculation and get amazed at how knowledgeable some of you are about coasters. Amazed and jealous.

My question is, how sure is everyone about this "Banshee" name? I did a little searching around and found another company owns the rights to Banshee when it comes to t-shirts and hats. Of course, I could have misunderstood what I was reading. http://www.trademarkia.com/Banshee-77536043.html

Two companies not in the same buisiness can each have a trademark for the same word. Much like Mercury cars and marine engines.
  • Like 1

I have done some research, and isn't it true that there must be proof of use before it can actually be trademarked? So if this is the case, keychains/magnets have already have been produced with the Banshee logo on them.

Someone care to elaborate and tell me if I am correct or not?

• Like 1