Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

When I first saw this, I thought for sure it was a large B&M Giga, and thats what I want second to an Intamin Blitz. The more and more I read and look at the picture, the more and more worried I become that is not the case. In all do respect, for all of you saying its a B&M Giga named Banshee, we have very little evidence. And after seeing that picture of DB's construction on May 4th, Im even more scepticle. There has not been a lot of work done since opening day. And he work that is being done is in a very small section. You would think that they would start working farther back in the area.

Pretty much what Im saying is that it could be anything. A B&M Giga, a DIve Machine, or even a WIld Mouse (hahaha).

You bring up an interesting point. Now that the park is open daily, wouldn't it make sense to see construction crews working on the site in the process of building this unknown object? Granted, I haven't been to the park yet this year and also know nothing about the process of construction, but would they not be digging more footers and going on with construction everyday if they were building a coaster?

Something just doesn't add up here. If this is a coaster, then it's not like Diamondback, comparing the number of footers and the different signs that we've seen. There will be something built there, but the finished product may be something very unexpected.*

*Note: I know no inside information at all about the current construction going on in "The Graveyard."

• Like 2

How long did it take Cedair Fair to construct Gatekeeper at Cedar Point?

Are you asking that as a question or are you just proving a point that they can build a coaster pretty quickly?

If it was a question I think they started tearing down DT and the Spiral around August and September, I think.

Both. I did want to point out that Cedar Fair is capable of installing a B&M coaster in a shorter ammount of time than what time they currently have remaining until KI's Opening Day 2014. So just because Diamondback's construction had more footers visible at around this time of the year in May, you can only take so much from that.

So after a little exploration I discovered that at this time in 2008 Diamondback had just the footers for the station, storage station, and swan lake splashdown. Not very different from what we have right now. Especially since we will probably not be seeing another splashdown.

• Like 1

Also, to clarify things a bit, the trademark that has been mentioned/linked to is not officially registered yet. They applied for it on April 24th. It will be months before we see whether it has been approved (it takes a long time since every application has to be manually researched, and they allow a few months for any disputes to be filed before it goes live).

• Like 1

So after a little exploration I discovered that at this time in 2008 Diamondback had just the footers for the station, storage station, and swan lake splashdown. Not very different from what we have right now. Especially since we will probably not be seeing another splashdown.

if memory serves me correctly... and it usually does, Diamondback footers were in place before opening weekend. specifically the one next to the old time photo booth. they were covered with flower pots i believe.

these photos are from this site on april 20th of 2008. looks like we had a lot more footers and such at that point.

http://KICentral.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=217

• Like 1

People naturally had to wonder why they drained and removed a lake from the park all of a sudden for construction of Diamondback. I think that's different than the removal a coaster that hasn't been operational since '09.

Maybe they feel that having construction go a little bit slower in the beginning phase will throw people's predictions off?

we've also had a pretty bad winter, followed by a pretty wet spring, which may have delayed the construction schedule to this point compared to what was going on for Diamondback (I have no idea what that winter/spring was like)

I think it's pretty difficult to compare construction schedules to assume the statisitcs of the (possibly) new ride. Diamondback was started earlier, but there was a lot of land clearing and prep to do. As someone has mentioned, think of the Gatekeeper site a year ago. Or the I305 site the May before it was announced. Nowhere near as far along (or even started).

I should have known that was coming.

That's what she said ....... I'm sorry The Office has really taken a toll on me this week.

One thing that was told about construction of Diamondback was that the footings get a 90 day cure time. That should tell you a little about the construction schedule.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, rain wont delay the curing of concrete but actually result in a harder set. However, if it rains during a pour the chances of getting a good set go out the window.

^

Yes, Magnum XL-200 is a pretty popular coaster, but before Millennium Force's debut, I heard Magnum XL-200 often had 1+ hour waits on most days. Then, Millennium Force showed up. Now, something like this is what I've heard happens...

Me: Let's ride Millennium Force!

Wait Time: 1 Hour 30 minutes

Me: Umm...on second thought, let's do Maverick.

Wait Time: 1 Hour 15 minutes

Me: ...Top Thrill Dragster?

Wait Time: 2 Hours

Me: ...Gatekeeper?

Wait Time: 1 Hour 30 minutes (very rough estimate on what I think Gatekeeper would be on a "normal" weekday at CP)

Me: ...Raptor?

Wait Time: 50 minutes

Me: ...fudge! Is there a major attraction here that doesn't have a huge line...Raptor's 50 minutes is actually looking really good...

Wait for Magnum XL-200: 20 minutes.

Me: FINALLY! A DECENT LINE! ;)

Granted, I have never been to CP, so these are all based on what I have been told or seen on web sites as "usual wait times"...also, I'm assuming Magnum's wait times are lower also because of the ride's huge capacity, not unlike Vortex...

I hate to Hijack and ask a Non related question, But what is the Weekday Daily estimate of Park Guests who Enter the Gate at Cedar Point Vs. Those that enter the gate at Kings Island? Im fairly Certain that Cedar Point gets more Guests on a Daily basis, But to the Tune of Each major Coaster having a 1+ Hour wait on a Tuesday Afternoon? Just Curious..

^

Yes, Magnum XL-200 is a pretty popular coaster, but before Millennium Force's debut, I heard Magnum XL-200 often had 1+ hour waits on most days. Then, Millennium Force showed up. Now, something like this is what I've heard happens...

Me: Let's ride Millennium Force!

Wait Time: 1 Hour 30 minutes

Me: Umm...on second thought, let's do Maverick.

Wait Time: 1 Hour 15 minutes

Me: ...Top Thrill Dragster?

Wait Time: 2 Hours

Me: ...Gatekeeper?

Wait Time: 1 Hour 30 minutes (very rough estimate on what I think Gatekeeper would be on a "normal" weekday at CP)

Me: ...Raptor?

Wait Time: 50 minutes

Me: ...fudge! Is there a major attraction here that doesn't have a huge line...Raptor's 50 minutes is actually looking really good...

Wait for Magnum XL-200: 20 minutes.

Me: FINALLY! A DECENT LINE! ;)

Granted, I have never been to CP, so these are all based on what I have been told or seen on web sites as "usual wait times"...also, I'm assuming Magnum's wait times are lower also because of the ride's huge capacity, not unlike Vortex...

I hate to Hijack and ask a Non related question, But what is the Weekday Daily estimate of Park Guests who Enter the Gate at Cedar Point Vs. Those that enter the gate at Kings Island? Im fairly Certain that Cedar Point gets more Guests on a Daily basis, But to the Tune of Each major Coaster having a 1+ Hour wait on a Tuesday Afternoon? Just Curious..

They both do approximately 3 million a year, so it's probably similar...

Actually, the last attendance figures I saw put Cedar Point and KI at around the same yearly attendance. CP runs a slightly shorter season, but not by much. Take that for whatever it's worth.

I've heard that too, but for some reason Cedar Point always seems to be busier and have longer lines.

• Like 1

My guess would be the two parks are attracting a some what different crowd. Cedar Point maybe has more thrill seekers and thus has longer lines for the coasters. Look at Dollywood for example. They have tons of people that go there just for shows and food that never ride a thing. I have been there at times when you get there and think the park looks full but then get in line for a ride and it is a walk on.

I read from a reliable source that the only reason B&M went over 300 feet for Leviathan was because Canada's Wonderland had been wanting a B&M Invert since the mid-90s but B&M couldn't give them one because of a clause in the Raptor contract that prohibited the construction of other B&M Inverts at competing parks within a certain distance.

Ever heard of a ride called Alpengeist? (WIlliamsburg) Great Bear? (Hershey) Unless of course your reliable source considers those too far away. :)

B & M is not in the business of doing favors to parks because said parks "feel bad" or "left out".

Look, I don't know whether or not to believe it either. All I know is that I read that exact explanation in the Winter 2013 issue of RollerCoaster!, the official magazine of ACE, and I consider that one of the most reliable sources out there.

It's always possible, but Hershey and CW are pretty close proximity wise...Hershey is a tad farther (40 - 50 miles or so).

Mose ACErs I know make things up just as much as anyone else. :rolleyes:

(btw, I'm not trying to give you a hard time)

The info I'm about to say came directly Canada's Wonderland's general manager:

The B and M clause was that no B and M coaster could be built within a certain distance (I forgot the number) from Cedar Point exculding andy Cedar Fair park. At the time, CW wasn't owned by CF so wonderland had to settle with a SLC. Belive it or not, Wonderland was 2 miles away from getting the B and M invert.

The B and M clause was that no B and M coaster could be built within a certain distance (I forgot the number) from Cedar Point exculding andy Cedar Fair park. At the time, CW wasn't owned by CF so wonderland had to settle with a SLC. Belive it or not, Wonderland was 2 miles away from getting the B and M invert.

CW should have moved there park just a little bit so they would have been out of the distance and able to get there very own B&M invert.

I think the deal was only against Paramount though the manager never said who if it was for any park or just Paramount.