Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

I'm hoping this is a Dive machine! It would be cool to see something Ohio doesn't have. I mean I wouldn't mind seeing a Giga, but wouldn't that kill Diamondback's line drastically? That's my only concern.

Not only will it affect Diamondback's line, but also The Beast's. Have you seen the lines for those two coasters on a Saturday?

Similar to the Maverick/Millennium Force/Top Thrill Dragster/Raptor relationship. Each get huge lines even though they coexist.

They also share nearly nothing in common with one another.

From what I've seen, the one B&M Giga that exists kinda just looks like a B&M Hyper, only taller.

*Making the faulty assumption of B&M Giga. Anything else, and it should not interfere with Diamondback's popularity at all.

• Like 1

Similar to the Maverick/Millennium Force/Top Thrill Dragster/Raptor relationship. Each get huge lines even though they coexist.

They also share nearly nothing in common with one another.

From what I've seen, the one B&M Giga that exists kinda just looks like a B&M Hyper, only taller.

*Making the faulty assumption of B&M Giga. Anything else, and it should not interfere with Diamondback's popularity at all.

Location is big here though, they are going to be on complete opposite ends of the park.

I`d like to get out to Canada`s Wonderland one day. The park seems like a wonderful park, and I have heard nothing but good reviews about it.

That being said, on the topic of a B&M hyper and giga in the same park. What is the difference between that, and say a park having two wooden coasters? They are both the same type of ride. Different layouts, height and speed and different experiences. I don`t see what the issue is with Canada`s Wonderland having two similar coasters.

As long as it is an investment and a new ride (especially if it turns out to be a new roller coaster), I will be happy. And the general public will love it, I`m sure. How many people in the general public consider Diamondback to be one of the best coasters in the park? Quite a few. Anything in that spot will certainly bring some life and energy back to Action Zone. And since Kings Island is a business, hopefully some more attendance and revenue.

• Like 8

I would like to point out that Kings Island hasn't done anything that I know of to suggest against a 300+ foot giga coaster, although there has been possible* hints towards it.

Now I'm not saying this is the end all be all, but when blood is in the water about this mystery construction being a giga, I feel it would be unwise to allow people to go along with this "Giga Buzz" for no reason.

If they don't deliver with a giga, then it's now more of a possibility people will be less enthusiastic about what it ends up being instead.

EDIT: I retract this statement after acquiring additional information.

Edited by DontWantToWait42mar0

I think it makes sense if KI was building a giga to consider Intamin. I would think that would be a pretty sure way to make sure it differs from Diamondback. I know several of you guys aren't Intamin fans, but if the concern is to not just build a bigger DB and a completely different feel, I think Intamin could deliver. I've never ridden Intimidator 305, but it looks like it gives a completely different ride than Leviathan or DB.

• Like 1

I`d like to get out to Canada`s Wonderland one day. The park seems like a wonderful park, and I have heard nothing but good reviews about it.

That being said, on the topic of a B&M hyper and giga in the same park. What is the difference between that, and say a park having two wooden coasters? They are both the same type of ride. Different layouts, height and speed and different experiences. I don`t see what the issue is with Canada`s Wonderland having two similar coasters.

As long as it is an investment and a new ride (especially if it turns out to be a new roller coaster), I will be happy. And the general public will love it, I`m sure. How many people in the general public consider Diamondback to be one of the best coasters in the park? Quite a few. Anything in that spot will certainly bring some life and energy back to Action Zone. And since Kings Island is a business, hopefully some more attendance and revenue.

Very well put.

If you consider Kings Island's current customer base, it includes a lot of people who are in a love affair with Diamondback. They want more of it.

I think it makes sense if KI was building a giga to consider Intamin. I would think that would be a pretty sure way to make sure it differs from Diamondback. I know several of you guys aren't Intamin fans, but if the concern is to not just build a bigger DB and a completely different feel, I think Intamin could deliver. I've never ridden Intimidator 305, but it looks like it gives a completely different ride than Leviathan or DB.

If it was up to this site, I believe we would choose an Intamin to compliment our B&M.

But from the business aspect, Cedar Fair and B&M have a strong relationship right now, and it seems like B&M keeps delivering popular rides with little problems. Why move away from that?

With the complete success of Diamondback, I imagine B&M gets another chance at bat here.

Plus insisting it's a giga, but then suggesting a loop. Gigas don't have loops.

Unless, of course, you are referring to http://www.gigaloops.com/

Anyone else hoping for a gravy buffet?

What I, personally, am really hoping for is an upgraded/new Dippin Dots Depot in Action Zone! Having to walk all the way across the park from AZ just to get to the depot really grinds my gears.............but I digress.

Edit - forgot AZ

• Like 5

Wow I have been digging around and, is there no coasters with a drop more then 200 feet and inversions?

For the most part, no... but Tatsu has inversions and eventually drops 263 feet.

How about Sheikra and Griffon? They do not have 200 feet drop but they are over 200 feet tall.

The front/yellow portion is to stand out in the park, the back/tan to blend in with the forested terrain.

I've always wondered why that is.

Edit: 800th Post!

Im not sure about this, but I think it is to highlight the hill. Im not sure though.

It's actually because that is what a Diamondback rattle snake typically looks like. It's to make it resemble the snake.

You also have Manhattan Express in Vegas which is 203 ft tall (only a 144 ft drop) and has 2 inversions. The coaster formerly known as Steel Phantom had a 225 ft drop and 4 inversions (pre-Phantom's Revenge days). Alpengeist comes close at 196 ft. The few giant inverted boomerangs in the world are 191 ft. Obviously Son of Beast made this list and the aforementioned dive machines.

SOB was a hyper-woody. The coaster terms "hyper", "giga", and "strata" are used to describe the height of the coaster, not the layout. If KI wants to throw money at a coaster company for a giga looper, I believe that company would come up with a design. My money is on a giga with a traditional layout that uses the terrain in that part of the park. But it's KI's money bringing the new ride, not mine.

• Like 2

We went to Kings Island again last Monday with my 2 middle kids (got 4), and their friends. We rode Diamonback 11 times -- the lines were about 5-8 minutes long, not a walk-on like last week Wednesday. Dang. Hopefully Cedar Point lines would be near-walk on next week 28th to 30th.

Anyway, as we made our way through the Action Zone, walking towards Flight Deck, we saw a group of 4 men looking fairly out of the place. 3 were Kings Island park operations admin, I believe. They wore name tags: Jeff, Robb(?) and the other one? The fourth one looked very familiar to me, and I knew I saw him before. He was wearing a pinstriped work shirt.

It finally came to me... was it Rob Decker, VP of Cedar Fair? The one Matt Ouimet issued a challenge for after building Gatekeeper?

I quickly googled Rob Decker and saw a picture of him. Yup! A match.

They were talking and one of them pointed at EXtreme Skyflyer then gestured as if to move the attraction further back. Then they disappeared behind the wooden fences surveying the new construction site.

I thought, darn... I should have approached Rob and asked him, "So, you all are building a B&M Giga, eh?" just to see his reaction. Didn't have that chance.

Then my 12 year old son said he saw the paper clipboard on one of the guys, and it was a black and white park map reduced in size to fit letter size, and he saw a huge red line drawing, looking like a roller coaster up and down out and back.

He said it was huge and after I showed him the map we had and asked him to try and approximate what he saw -- he swears the lines went all way to Firehawk and possibly behind Dinosaurs Alive. It was a brief glance, though.

I quickly asked him -- because I know someone would say its an invert -- if he saw any loops or anything? He paused, thought for a second and said no, he didn't. Just really, really tall compared to anything else in the park map and long out and back line.

My son, an accomplished spy! :-) A father couldn't be more prouder.

Now, I grant it could be a confirmation bias on his part -- I have told him I had a feeling that they would build B&M Giga on that site. But the fact that he was a bit taken back when I asked him if he saw any loops and he had to think on that for a second, and said no.

So, there you have it. A B&M Giga, it is! Well, okay... make that with 98% confidence on my part. :-)

Intresting trip report found on coasterbuzz.

LINK:http://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Topic/kings-island-new-coaster-2014/25

• Like 8