Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

Why my gut leans toward a Giga is because I'm always asking what KI needs, but this perception of need is only my opinion of course, and compared to some of you it's an outsider's gut speaking. That is, little truth here, while CP is my home park and I've been there countless times, I've only been to KI about 6 times (gasp, I know), I just kinda sorta fell in love with the place.

Here's where my mind wanders. First, if there is a ride that is the statement ride at KI, I would argue that it is still The Beast. Diamondback is glorious in its own right, but I would argue that Kings Island has been riding the coat-tails of The Beast for three decades. Granted, they have not been trying to be a coaster-centric park like Cedar Point, but in terms of coaster line-up there is a bit to be desired in my opinion (and I say that with all due respect to the history and lineup it does have). Let me be clear; I'm not knocking the current line-up...it's good, but even with Diamondback, something feels missing. The Beast was a home run, Diamondback was a home run...but where's the Grand Slam?

Of course, they tried to fill this gap with Son of Beast. Indeed, they groomed this ride to be the next "it" in the coaster world, but we all know that story.

From where I sit, Kings Island is in prime position to grab the coaster world by the throat and not let go. It has the land...it has the opportunity...a new CEO that loves the park...well, you get the idea.

To replace the world's biggest bomb, you need to go big. Now personally, I think a Maverick-esque or inverted coaster would be wonderful, but I think something "grander" is in store.

When I was growing up, Kings Island was truly the King in the coaster world. The Beast...Vortex...King Cobra...and Cedar Point was always in the rear-view mirror...until Magnum happened. I'm not saying KI is set to start dueling with CP, which makes no sense in today's world, but they have a golden opportunity to reposition themselves as a coaster-destination.

So that's why I'm thinking Giga. :D

• Like 16

I would love a huge GIGA coaster but I would also love a smaller coaster something the size of raptor and an addition to the park using the rest of the land with flat rides. Either way I will be happy so long as there is a new coaster going in!!

• Like 2

I hope some of you realize this, but this has already been planned out in its entirety, even the schedule of the construction, when to put certain things in, etc. I honestly think some of you are over-thinking things WAY too much.

Whatever happens happens. What they're doing now is probably on schedule to making this a reality for April 2014.

Patience is a virtue. ;)

• Like 2

The over-thinking it is the fun part. :)

And while what you said is true, let's not forget, plans change (i.e., Leviathan, Gatekeeper)...it's completely possible that what is coming to KI was not completely planned in the typical 3 - 5 year working plan that parks of this size typically function within.

Daydreaming is also a virtue. ;)

• Like 2

And to reiterate, Diamondback's footing work started with the station, transfer track, maintenance shed and midway drop on opening day 2008. No footings have been poured yet for the rest of the course until the middle of June I think. If I'm wrong someone correct me please.

Guest Department47

I wonder though, because if this really was a giga coaster, you would think they would be further along with construction by now, but they really haven't done much so far.

Really haven't done much so far? Are we ignoring the 218-foot wooden roller coaster they tore down that formerly sat in this space?

• Like 10

According to the photos of the announcement it looks like early August, maybe the 6th?

Edit: You beat me to it, Terp! Man, you're quick. :wacko:

It would be awesome if you were basing this off the foliage in the picture.

Yes I was! ;) Actually I was looking at the date on the photo album sorry for the confusion. :D

According to the photos of the announcement it looks like early August, maybe the 6th?

Edit: You beat me to it, Terp! Man, you're quick. :wacko:

It would be awesome if you were basing this off the foliage in the picture.

Yes I was! ;) Actually I was looking at the date on the photo album sorry for the confusion. :D

No confusion. ;) Just saying I would have been impressed. :)

• Like 1

20ecd9b5e8c6307652f0dea0f26f14f9.jpg

Anyone else see the orange marking flags in this picture that are on the hill?

I don't see any flags.....Not even Six of them.....

They may not flags but I count 4 of them on the hill. I can draw some circles around them tomorrow if that might help'

I hope you all will not be disappointed when it turns out to be a friction launch terrain hugging (no more than 5ft off the ground) kiddie coaster that takes you to the new X-Base restrooms. They can call it Rugrats, All Growed Up. Oh wait, never mind.

• Like 5

I hope you all will not be disappointed when it turns out to be a friction launch terrain hugging (no more than 5ft off the ground) kiddie coaster that takes you to the new X-Base restrooms. They can call it Rugrats, All Growed Up. Oh wait, never mind.

That won't happen. X-Base will never get restrooms.

DB96, watching the tomatoes on his way out.

• Like 1

451244843904e1e7d6b818e8136be560.jpg

a8e938e47f752ced310345cf86c7f3d7.jpg

95c5c99e0a1afa140b2950d8ee74ffd0.jpg

First off, I do think this "diversion" will be a roller coaster. Also, from looking at those two rectangular holes in the third picture (they are near the bottom of the construction site and point towards Drop Tower and Skyflier), it makes me think the track could be dipping below ground level before doing a cobra roll, top hat, or a hairpin turn (as it looks like the holes aren't that far from each other). I don't know if this is what this spot is for or not, but that's just what it looks like to me. :)

EDIT: The holes are also seen in the first and fourth pictures, pointing towards Skyflier's giant arch.

• Like 1

That won't happen. X-Base will never get restrooms.

DB96, watching the tomatoes on his way out.

So your saying that Rugrats, All Growed Up is a possible name then?

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, where was this photo taken from? I'm racking my brain trying to figure out where. The only thing I can think of in that direction is Great Wolf Lodge, but it isn't anywhere near tall enough to get this birds-eye perspective.

• Like 2

a8e938e47f752ced310345cf86c7f3d7.jpg

95c5c99e0a1afa140b2950d8ee74ffd0.jpg

First off, I do think this "diversion" will be a roller coaster. Also, from looking at those two rectangular holes in the third picture (they are near the bottom of the construction site and point towards Drop Tower and Skyflier), it makes me think the track could be dipping below ground level before doing a cobra roll, top hat, or a hairpin turn (as it looks like the holes aren't that far from each other). I don't know if this is what this spot is for or not, but that's just what it looks like to me. :)

EDIT: The holes are also seen in the first and fourth pictures, pointing towards Skyflier's giant arch.

If you are looking at what I'm looking at where the square concrete patch is with the three "holes", that would be the slab of concrete where SOB's final helix cables were attached to.