Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

I think Son of Beast was the best wooden coaster of all time cause it was a fast out of control ride. Exactly the way a woodie is. Voyage, raven, thunderhead all blow.

A fast "out of control" ride expirience is what led to Son of Beast being where it is today....

If Voyage, Raven, and ThunderHead were that way then they would also be in the same situation.....

• Like 6

Speed and height is not everything........

Says you...

To others speed and height ARE everything.

Then to them, Son of Beast is the best wood coaster evah and Kingda Ka steel.

Sheesh.

Just trying to point out that everyone's opinions will differ - and no one opinion is right or wrong. Well, unless someone is hoping for a Vekoma SLC....

I'm in the giga camp, but I wouldn't mind an impressive invert.

• Like 1

Just trying to point out that everyone's opinions will differ - and no one opinion is right or wrong. Well, unless someone is hoping for a Vekoma SLC....

I'm in the giga camp, but I wouldn't mind an impressive invert.

But the signs say no camping

I'm in cahoots with Dippin' Dots and AZ old lady.

• Like 4

A fast "out of control" ride expirience is what led to Son of Beast being where it is today....

If Voyage, Raven, and ThunderHead were that way then they would also be in the same situation.....

You think Thunderhead isn't "out of control"? Try riding in the very back!

EDIT: When I rode in the back, I thought it was pretty crazy :)

I think Son of Beast was the best wooden coaster of all time cause it was a fast out of control ride. Exactly the way a woodie is. Voyage, raven, thunderhead all blow.

Say what? Voyage isn't fast and out of control? Raven isn't fast and out of control? Thunderhead isn't fast and out of control? I beg to differ.

Now, Son of Beast has a boring layout that is definitely not fast and out of control.

• Like 8

One time I was waiting in line for SOB and they had to super-shove the bar down on a big guy. He had to cross his legs and suck in his stomach to fit. When the car got back his legs from his cuff line on his shorts to his crossed ankles was "rug" burned until he was bleeding......not my idea of a fun ride....and for him it was definitely fast and rough.

I didn't realize Vortex, Firehawk, Outerlimits, and Invertigo didn't have inversions.....and to think I go to KI every year and ride said rides. Learn something new everyday.

You misunderstood my post. I didn't mean there weren't any coasters at KI with inversions. I meant it would be great to get a coaster that had some inversions we don't currently see on a KI coaster. In other words, we don't have anything with a Zero-G roll, inclined loop, or a dive loop/Immelman.

did i say that all the space was being used? No. all im saying is that we most likely may get a large size coaster, that doesnt mean the whole entire footprint of Son of Beast is going to be used.

I wasn't actually directing my comment AT you, but rather in response to what you said. It made me think. A "monstrosity" is something which is actually TOO huge....or "incredibly large and ugly". One huge coaster on that entire SOB footprint would seem to be a waste of space which could be used for other projects.

Speed and height is not everything........

Says you...

To others speed and height ARE everything.

One simple question: Why?

In my ever-so-humble but outspoken opinion, the only reason a giga exists is for the sake of feeding the thrill enthusiasts' desire for ever-increasing height and speed. But then after they've had their fill and get bored, they crave more...something even higher and faster. At what point does it become enough? Read my previous post. At what height and speed would a coaster need to be for it to satisfy you? And what happens when you get bored with it, but there are no other higher and faster coasters left to conquer?

What King's Island needs is a Zero G Roll!

Absolutely! Bravo! Right on, man! Funky, outrageous, mondo, hip, I can dig it. Er...sorry 'bout that. I temporarily regressed back to my youth.

I whole-heartedly agree. I think SOB is one of the best roller coasters I have ever been on. I enjoyed the rough, crazy, and out of control feeling of the ride.

• Like 2

With the colossal amount of land they cleared out for Diamondback, I don't think either Cedar Fair or KI remembers how to build a good terrain coaster.

Except Diamondback is not a terrain coaster nor was it ever intended to be.

This is true. But what I mean is, when you ride on Diamondback, it's clear, mowed grass for 50 plus feet on either side of you. They could have easily left some trees in close to the track to enhance the sensation of speed, but they didn't. This makes me doubtful of any future attempts at an actual terrain coaster. However, I would love to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

I personally really liked SOB. Was one of my favorite roller coasters.

I whole-heartedly agree. I think SOB is one of the best roller coasters I have ever been on. I enjoyed the rough, crazy, and out of control feeling of the ride.

I guess I'm not alone anymore.....

• Like 3

There will always be some that believe SoB was a great coaster.

Consider this: coaster polls are pretty much crap. Certain fanboys of parks or manufacturers will push their favorite to the top without experiencing other coasters. Enthusiasts will never agree which ride is the best.

But when it comes to the worst? The majority if the same enthusiasts have put SoB near the bottom of every poll.

When most enthusiasts agree, it's rather scary.

• Like 7

Secondson wrote: In my ever-so-humble but outspoken opinion, the only reason a giga exists is for the sake of feeding the thrill enthusiasts' desire for ever-increasing height and speed. But then after they've had their fill and get bored, they crave more...something even higher and faster. At what point does it become enough? Read my previous post. At what height and speed would a coaster need to be for it to satisfy you? And what happens when you get bored with it, but there are no other higher and faster coasters left to conquer?

That's not only why gigas exist, it's the reason amusement parks exist. You act like feeding thrill seekers desires is a bad thing. It's actually the business plan. If you aren't seeking thrills, why go to KI? You can go to the community park and ride the slide and go swimming in the community pool. Feeding thrill seekers desires is what KI is. That's why we don't have 6 Racers. How high is high enough? How fast is fast enough? I'm not sure, but we'll let them know when they get there.

• Like 1