Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

That is why I am hoping for a intamin giga. All that jackhammering shruggs off speed. Speed is the less resistance.

Why do you think Millennium Force goes so slow at the end? The turns and hills in the course shave off speed.
That's my point, I don't want jackhammering to shrugg off more speed.
Millennium Force jackhammers? I thought it was smooth as glass.
  • Like 1

That is why I am hoping for a intamin giga. All that jackhammering shruggs off speed. Speed is the less resistance.

Why do you think Millennium Force goes so slow at the end? The turns and hills in the course shave off speed.
That's my point, I don't want jackhammering to shrugg off more speed.
Millennium Force jackhammers? I thought it was smooth as glass.

Umm, I have been referring to Diamondback jackhammering...

Neither Millennium Force nor Diamondback are rough at all. Diamondback shuffles a bit after the turnaround, but it does next to nothing to reduce its speed. The trim and midcourse directly afterwards do that job quite nicely.

In terms of B&M versus Intamin for roughness/smoothness, they're usually about equal. As for all of that speed and height make for better coasters nonsense that was going on a few pages earlier...it's like none of you guys have ever ridden Maverick or a GCI before.

• Like 10

If a roller coaster is rough or not is solely opinion- based if you think about it.

Kind of. There are also different seat choices (some seats are smoother riding than others), current weather conditions, etc etc. And some people are more bothered by different types of roughness, there is the head-banging variety, the wooden "Dinn" shuffle, the classic "Jackhammer", the sharp turning of older steel coasters...

I have had both nearly "B&M" smooth and very painful, rough rides on Flight of Fear at Kings Island alone (never rode it with OTSRs), as an example of how a ride can be smooth or rough, depending on various conditions. Another example would be The Voyage @ Holiday World...it was OK in 2010, but my rides on it one year later we very rough. It's probably very different now as Holiday World went and re-tracked it in 2012.

As for the "rides must be big and tall and fast to be good" theory...Steel Dragon 2000 vs. Expedition GeForce. Based soley on height and speed, GeForce should lose, as it is a "pewny" 174 feet tall (not even a hypercoaster!). But it was voted the best steel coaster in the world in the 2012 Mitch Hawker poll, also being favored over such giants as Millennium Force, I305, Leviathan, Top Thrill Dragster, and Kingda Ka as well to win that honor. It has never fallen out of the Top 3. And when you talk wooden coasters, most of the best ones are actually pretty small, while nearly every huge non-prefab wooden coaster ever built has run into serious issues...even Voyage @ Holiday World is starting to have problems, hence why Timberliners were ever even suggested for it.

• Like 1

If a roller coaster is rough or not is solely opinion- based if you think about it.

How so?

Because what some people think is rough may not be rough to others. Like I think Vortex is rough, but I've actually heard some people say it's smooth.

.... then again shouldn't a Diamondback rattle?

That's an interesting point. Is it possible they designed Diamondback to deliberately jackhammer as part of the ride experience?

• Like 1

That's an interesting point. Is it possible they designed Diamondback to deliberately jackhammer as part of the ride experience?

Oh no please don't actually think that. Though I guess it could also mimic the rumble of a Nascar and the growl of a Behemoth. I do doubt it was intentional though but hey add a little theme and it's like now with rumble effects.

Back on topic though, what I wonder is with the triangle footers which signify generally a meeting of multiple supports. Which generally occurs on tighter radii but not generally in low force areas. Why so close to the presumed station area? Not trying to be an expert just trying to decode.

• Like 1

I just rode Intimidator at Carowinds. I noticed that there were multiple triangular supports. I know that this has been mentioned before but there are at least 5 or so and most of them are for a single support, not multiple ones like the 2014 construction is showing. Curious....

Oh no please don't actually think that. Though I guess it could also mimic the rumble of a Nascar and the growl of a Behemoth. I do doubt it was intentional though but hey add a little theme and it's like now with rumble effects.

Back on topic though, what I wonder is with the triangle footers which signify generally a meeting of multiple supports. Which generally occurs on tighter radii but not generally in low force areas. Why so close to the presumed station area? Not trying to be an expert just trying to decode.

It's the stair effect from Backlot that they finally got to work. Duh.

• Like 7

With a name like Big Sexy I figured you were maybe a Harley kind of guy, boy was I wrong! Perhaps you should sit in the odd number seats on DB like the ladies in my family prefer, leave those outside seats to the people who enjoy that very slight vibration. On another note, I heard some ride-ops today talking about they're hearing its an Invert, however I never made it to the dipping dots gal to confirm anything due to high pressure from a little me to hurry up we got to hit every coaster tonight! Sorry to chime in, I will grab some popcorn now too! Literally, I'm heating it now!

• Like 1

I've been following this thread for some time and have been going to Kings Island since I was a little guy. Matter of fact, Top Gun opened the summer I went. I miss the theming of the rides a lot and that brings me to my hopes for this current project. I'm really hoping we see a combination, dark ride/coaster. Kings Island is really lacking a quality dark ride (FOF is a great coaster but theming lacks) that it could be known for. I also think mulitple launch zones would be fun. Verbolten from Busch Gardens seems cool (I haven't been on it) but seems to be too short. A nice long indoor section with lots of cool projections and even animatronics would be good, possibly giving the ride the ability to have more trains than usual. The Incredible Hulk at Islands of Adventure is one of the best coasters I've been on and I think most of that is because of what you see after you're launched out of the tunnel. The view is simply spectacular and while it doesn't add a dark ride feature like I'm suggesting, the experience is a good composite/mix of things - tunnel/theatrics, launch, water, view. With a lot of the big giga coasters, you seem to get a lot less theming in exchange for some very generic looking aluminum tunnels to go through.

Dark ride elements, trees and environment, multiple ride stages - these are all things that could really give this ride that feeling of "evil" they're promoting with the signs.

Again, this is my first post but I have been reading a lot. I will honestly enjoy whatever happens but am hoping for something simply incredible and new to the thrill world.

• Like 7

I just rode Intimidator at Carowinds. I noticed that there were multiple triangular supports. I know that this has been mentioned before but there are at least 5 or so and most of them are for a single support, not multiple ones like the 2014 construction is showing. Curious....

It's going to be a intamin giga watch and see. 4breast seating with lapbars.

Several things:

A. Screamscape did NOT summarize here. Where's the giga discussion? The green INTAMIN track? The intelligent analysis? The Banshee insistence?

B. Cedar Point a balanced park? No. It very much caters to the thrill seeker. That is one of many reasons Gatekeeper is such a brilliant addition for 2013. No, I won't be explaining that. I will note it had some of the shortest lines in the park last night, admittedly a small sample size.

C. Bigger, BADDER. faster? Gatekeeper?

That ride explains a lot.

Earlier, much earlier, my philosophy of new Cedar Fair management was alluded to in a Italian Job: Stunt Coaster thread. Some, nay--most, took that too literally.

Gatekeeper explains all. Look for a Gatekeeper type move at Kings Island.

Mr. Ouimet has explained several times, in great detail, where Cedar Fair is headed. And it is not bigger, badder, faster. Look for a brilliant move at Kings Island.

This post is not a diversion.

(Hi, Mr. J!)

Here is my crazy idea! Maybe we should read what Terp says over and over before we post ! Hello! He is one of few who knows, Morons! Sorry, this post is for just the Morons who post but don't know any better! I just had to comment, crawling in my shell again people, no hard feelings!