Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

Couple of things- and I don't know if this is the right thread to do this on, but I viewed the video here- so you tell me. I just watched the Matt O... (however its spelled) interview- and WOW, what an outstanding mind to have taken the reigns of the CF park chain. Whereas I think Kinzel was mostly about numbers and build the biggest, best attraction that makes the biggest statement and it will bring bodies in the door. I think the new CEO is about the guest experience.

• I love what he said that "most of the people that come in the park a second time come back because they had fun the first time."
  • Has no interest in copying all parks into a single brand... "there are 11 brands"
  • Building better attractions that parents will ride with their kids (but more importantly)- not "because" of their kids.

the leading of his conversation leads me to think also that within CF there is a department developing akin to the Disney "Imagineers"- I could be wrong, but many things he mentioned made it seem like they are challenging designers to create things that give the customer a completely unique experience.

I could be wrong, but I'm willing to place a few sheckels that whatever is being built on the former SOB grounds will be a uniquely Kings Island experience. I'm willing to bet also that there will be some cosmetic changes coming in the coming years to themed areas of the KI grounds.

• Like 18

I just want to echo was Dwight posted above. Mr O appears to have a great feel for this park. Talking about hitting the sweet spot of rides for families to want to ride together. Guests want to come back because its fun, not because of a coaster count/etc. He leaves his office to interact with guests to find out what they like and dont like. I feel this chain is in good hands. To have a coaster or ride or themed area that is for families.

I believe TERP stated about a year ago to watch what the park does not what is says. Well the chain stated it wanted family fun (or similar statement), then CP put in Gatekeeper. Mr O stated that with Gatekeeper the ride needed to see Lake Erie, recreate the entrance, and to have a ride that is a fun experience. Mr O stated that the ride transitions are more spread out which make the ride more fun.

So I disagree with Terp in that CF is doing what they are saying (or at least so far) in bringing Family fun to the park. Genetic Vacation Behavior, where if you have fun as a kid you will bring your future kids to the park. The idea of not blending all of the parks into 1 copy after another. I know my family growing up got season passes for Paramount parks and we would plan vacations around going to multiple parks.

• Like 4

Let me echo shark then. I agree entirely, they challenged the design team on several facets of the Gate Keeper coaster. It wasn't just a coaster installed fit the sake if having a coaster. I realize that Firehawk was a transfer, but was a classic example of a Kinzel era coaster placement for the sake of having a coaster.

The new ki coaster will be well planned, thought out, and uniquely Kings Island. Can't wait.

• Like 2

I don't know where the disagreement is. I've said Gatekeeper is brilliant. I've diverted attention to a highly instructive and illustrative Italian Job thread (which most read far too literally).

Mr. Ouimet knows creating family best days ever is good business. Stay tuned.

Kings Island has a brilliant future.

• Like 7

Anybody at the park today?

Looks like they may have moved the fence in Action Zone out further by the ice cream stand...

Welcome to KIC! :)

This is very interesting. To me, this suggests that whatever this is will be very close to the midway, if not extending over it a la Corkscrew. But that's just my guess.

I don't know where the disagreement is. I've said Gatekeeper is brilliant. I've diverted attention to a highly instructive and illustrative Italian Job thread (which most read far too literally).

I've given up trying to interpret you. I'll just sit back and wait until your clues become obvious, then laugh at myself for not understanding you in the first place. :P

You had said watch what they do and not what they say (about a year ago). So I was just saying they are doing what they said. Just some friendly sparring. No harm my friend. Plus after everything you have said about Gatekeeper has made me decide that a trip to the point is in order. And soon!

I'm sorry - but with such an investment and planning of Gatekeeper, it had to be started under the former regime - not Mr. Quimet.

As the average person would read it, that is not correct.

Wasnt the idea for Gatekeeper a previous regime, but then Quimet's regime altered the location and the ride?

I know this may be a little off the wall. Just bare with me.

We all have seen Kinzel and the rest of Cedar Fair throw themeing to the way-side for years. And now that we have Mr. O behind the wheel, does anyone else think that his Disney background could mean some much needed themeing for the next addition? I certainly hope so.

But could one man really make that much a difference? Especially with an issue like themeing, something that many park goers wouldn't bat an eyelash at. Yet others just adore.

• Like 1

Theming
Started by Hank, Apr 10 2013 12:08 PM
spacer.gifspacer.gif
28 replies to this topic
#1 icon_share.png
Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:08 PMKIC Star Member

Now that Mr. Quimet is on board, and given his time at Disney, do any of you feel that there will be more theming at KI...

1) As a park

2) On individual rides ?

I am hopeful that some of the strategies that will emanate from this man will help to make the park a little less helter skelter.

I know this may be a little off the wall. Just bare with me.

We all have seen Kinzel and the rest of Cedar Fair throw themeing to the way-side for years. And now that we have Mr. O behind the wheel, does anyone else think that his Disney background could mean some much needed themeing for the next addition? I certainly hope so.

But could one man really make that much a difference? Especially with an issue like themeing, something that many park goers wouldn't bat an eyelash at. Yet others just adore.

When that one man is CEO, yes that one man can make a huge difference. Further more, it would appear that Mr O isn't the type of "hands off" CEO, just paying attention to the bottom line, but one that doesn't mind "getting his hands dirty", speaking to the general public, getting to know his product inside/out and figuring out ways he and his team can improve their product. Most great CEOs in the public service sector are like that, they try to get as intimate w/ their stores/parks/services as they can, they try to spot problems before those that work under them discover them, they look for way to improve things both big and small.

So the Gatekeeper project was a Kinzel or Ouimet or both thing? But if we think Mr. O is going to bring in a little Disney style, shouldn't we have seen a little on the Gatekeeper project?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see some time in the theming on attractions, but Mr. Ouimet knows where he is working, Cedar Fair, he knows this isn't Disney.

I do see that he is taking a different approach then Mr. Kinzel, I just hope he takes it all the way.

If Project 2014 was similar to Leviathan or Diamondback, wouldn't we have begun seeing a second set of footers grouped together. Like with Diamondback, you have to transfer track area as one large grouping of footings then a 180 degree turn, then the other area of grouped footings for the station. With this, at least to me, it looks like we only have one set of footings like that, and that's probably for the station?

^ These might help you out.

8943984564_a1bbd7f598_c.jpg

Ignore the lift hill on the left of the Montu image. It appears that the track will be turning left from the station on the new attraction, not right as in Montu.

potential.png

Dangit, everyone else beat me to it.