Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

I have been going back and forth on what type of coaster this is. Anywhere from a Giga, maverick style coaster, to an Invert.

Throughout this week I have thought that it is an invert, but we already have two inverts in the same area of the park. They are different types of inverts but they are still inverted coasters. I have no idea what this coaster will be. I change my opinion on it every week.

Thats like saying there are to many sitdown coasters in the Rivertown/Coney Mall sections

• Like 1

Regardless of your opinion on a B&M invert, from an objective standpoint it would be a good investment for the park. You cannot argue that an invert would be a "waste of steel" based on what you think of ride experience. A B&M invert would be a high capacity, reliable and cost effective ride that would draw crowds just as Diamondback did. Kings Island or Cedar Fair will NOT make decisions based upon the opinions of enthusiasts on a fan forum. If they decide that a B&M invert will be a successful addition, they will add it, regardless of what enthusiasts think.

• Like 9

I have been going back and forth on what type of coaster this is. Anywhere from a Giga, maverick style coaster, to an Invert.

Throughout this week I have thought that it is an invert, but we already have two inverts in the same area of the park. They are different types of inverts but they are still inverted coasters. I have no idea what this coaster will be. I change my opinion on it every week.

Thats like saying there are to many sitdown coasters in the Rivertown/Coney Mall sections
Not really. There is a great variety of sit down coaster;. Diamondback Vortex and Racer are all sit downs but very unique. You could also say that all the inverts are unique (which they are), but I just would not like to see three inverts in close proximity to each other. But it would still be great to get one.

I think we both have correct opinions.

• Like 1

I'm really excited to see what they do with Action Zone. With Diamondback, Rivertown got a complete overhaul, and Vortex got painted. With WindSeeker, Coney Mall got all the pathways redone with paver stones, and fresh paint and landscaping. Since Action Zone isn't really themed to a behind the scenes stunt area anymore, I have a feeling the changes will be more drastic!

• Like 2

Obviously nothing went in this year. But waiting one year would definitely save up money. Anyone have any ideas how much it would have cost to tear down SOB and the cost to hull it away. It is pressure treated wood with chemicals so I'm guessing it wasn't easy or cheap.

Thoughts?

The b&m standup (what they first debuted with) was stolen from intamin. Their first real idea was the inverted looping coaster which debuted over 20 years ago.

And...? I don't think it matters who built what. We can't say an invert is outdated simply because they've been around for 20 years. Using that logic, we should have said Diamondback was outdated when we got it, because at that time the hyper coaster had already been around for 20 years, too. Remember....Magnum was built in 1989. It took 20 years for KI to get a hyper. So maybe now KI is catching up by getting an invert - yes, 20 years after the first one was built.

If it is a invert, hopefully the park has been monitoring the boards and make it a two train with no mcbr. No reason to kill the ride and not even increase capacity with 3 trains.

There's no point in them monitoring the boards at this point, because the plan for the coaster has already been finalized. Nothing we say in here will affect what's being built.

Regardless of your opinion on a B&M invert, from an objective standpoint it would be a good investment for the park. You cannot argue that an invert would be a "waste of steel" based on what you think of ride experience. A B&M invert would be a high capacity, reliable and cost effective ride that would draw crowds just as Diamondback did. Kings Island or Cedar Fair will NOT make decisions based upon the opinions of enthusiasts on a fan forum. If they decide that a B&M invert will be a successful addition, they will add it, regardless of what enthusiasts think.

I agree. If Kings Island had built whatever the enthusiasts wanted over the years, we would have had an invert, floorless, and giga years ago.

• Like 1

Obviously nothing went in this year. But waiting one year would definitely save up money. Anyone have any ideas how much it would have cost to tear down SOB and the cost to hull it away. It is pressure treated wood with chemicals so I'm guessing it wasn't easy or cheap.

Thoughts?

yes, someone knows.

• Like 2

Could we possibly see a midway going under neath this ride, Ouimet said that they probably wouldn't mess with Kings Island's Entrance, but might see the ride interact with the midway. Might we posibly see the expansion of Action Zone along with a retheming/revamp of area or maybe even a whole new area?

From the interviews with Mr. Ouimet, seemed to like Kings Island, which from his Disney background, which Kings Island was closely designed around. Maybe he will allow a little more "theming" and "placement", but that is a real (massive) stab in the dark.

• Like 3

There has been two new b&m inverts built in the last seven years, and they were built overseas. Inverts have gone the way of the stand up.

Let's match apples to apples.

The last new B & M stand-up was constructed in 1999 (total of 7 Worldwide), whereas there have been 16 inverts (almost half Worldwide) built in that same timeframe.

I would not classify inverts going the way of stand-ups.

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&nm=na&de=5&co=6831&page=1&order=-10

• Like 9

Thoughts?

Somewhere last year, presumably at the annual shareholders meeting, cedar mentioned a specific target number for the % of revenue they would target for capital expenditures. I would think it would be safe to assume, that the overall % will be divided up more or less in relation to each indivual park's revenue. Considering the cost involved in major coaster installations, obviously not all of their parks are going to be able to get their share of capital expenditures each season, but they'll be spread around. With the new regime in place, if someone took the time, after about 4 seasons or so, there is a good chance that an expenditure pattern would develop w/n the chain so that one could predict what scale of project each park is going to get in any offseason.

• Like 1

I don't see how anybody can consider KI being slow at loading. I was just as Six Flags over Georgia, and everything except Dare Devil Dive (3 car operation) was sitting on the brake run for a good 2 minutes with only 2 train operation. Yeah, you can say that on Diamondback you sit for 2 minutes, but at least DBack would be dispatching a train every 90 seconds or so under 3 train. Six Flags was dispatching every 3 or 4 minutes under just 2 train operation.

And honestly, before I witnessed this, I had no idea how quick KI and Cedar Fair as a whole are with ride loading. Although I will say I think Six Flags is more of the odd-ball in the situation, as most parks I've been to have similar times to Cedar Fair.

• Like 1

If they are going with a theme would you say they would already have the decor?? ( on Firehawk I saw a rocks but maybe they are for

haunt

Those rocks you saw were the covers for the outdoor speakers in Dinosaurs Alive. We saw them on our Firehawk tour on KIC day Saturday.