Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

If they go further than that, they have the chance to make the world's longest Inverted or Floorless in the World. ;)

No, CF would never allow that. Only CP can get record breakers.
Why can't people get out of this mentality? Dick Kinzel is gone.
What about Gatekeeper? I know it was their first coaster in quite a while, but still, they just had to get a record breaker. We'll see what Ouimet does though. I'm hoping he spreads the good rides around a little more.

ovun.jpg

Or does the angle run in the same direction as the cutout, as in this image:

5tfd.jpg

Secondson, from my experience reviewing B&M coaster constructions pictures on RCDB, and up-close and personal, the second picture is correct. The bolts on each side of the crescent indicates the direction of the lean of the support. A circle of bolts = straight up, a crescent = lean. You can see what I'm saying if you go onto the Reds Grille patio an look at Diamondbacks supports. The bolts appear on both sides of the crescent (look at he triangle of concrete on the new coaster) and the support leans towards the track of the coaster.

• Like 1

From my experience reviewing B&M coaster constructions pictures on RCDB, and up-close and personal, the second picture is correct. The bolts on each side of the crescent indicates the direction of the lean of the support. A circle of bolts = straight up, a crescent = lean. You can see what I'm saying if you go onto the Reds Grille patio an look at Diamondbacks supports. The bolts appear on both sides of the crescent (look at he triangle of concrete on the new coaster) and the support leans towards the track of the coaster.

Okay, thanks. You answered my question.

The reason I was asking is because I was thinking it might give us some sort of idea about the angle of the supports above each footer we currently see in the construction zone, and thus give us a better idea about the possible layout. For instance, on the triangular pads, if we can see that a support would connect at an angle heading in one direction while the other supports would be angled in a different direction, maybe we could deduce that the triangular pads were built to support a helix section or cobra roll, etc.

• Like 2

^ Secondson, did you see my response to you on the last page?

Yes. I repped your post. I think it would be nice if the coaster extended beyond the current red-highlighted construction zone, but that remains to be seen. But something in my gut tells me it will be some sort of record breaker. Whether an invert, floorless, or dive coaster, I don't know.

Anything decoded yet? I just got home tonight from work where I had no internet access and to tired to read 100 pages!

Probably nothing more than what was there before....except a lot of pictures of the very wet construction site.

• Like 1

Since Shoot the Rapids is such a bad ride, which B&M water rides do you like better?

Any water ride manufacturer that have boats that fit the trough, and that don't have a potential sinking issue with said boats.

Since Shoot the Rapids is such a bad ride, which B&M water rides do you like better?

Any water ride manufacturer that have boats that fit the trough, and that don't have a potential sinking issue with said boats.

What is this "potential sinking issue"? Someone care to clue me in?

They've actually never fixed the problem (meaning, they're actually still too heavy and cumbersome). If a boat is not loaded just right, it's in danger of capsizing, or at the very least, taking on a lot of water and slowing down even more. The boats also move through the course much slower than envisioned, and there is a significant jarring (and sometimes painful) bump at the bottom of both hills if one is sitting in the right spot.

I certainly do not pretend to be an insider, but from what I have gathered from being a part of various discussions about this ride, this was essentially the "last straw" between Cedar Point (note; not Cedar Fair) and Intamin, and a lot of bridges were burned. Those bridges were already at least toasted.

Hence, you will often see boats leave with rows unfilled, and often be told exactly where to sit, etc...and it's a nearly 6-minute agonizingly long, slow ride.

Considering what it was designed to replace, Shoot the Rapids is a strikeout in my opinion. It's certainly not a family ride by any stretch of the imagination (see height requirements).

But don't mind me. I'm in a hotel in Newport News having spent the past 4 days visiting the great Busch Gardens Williamsburg; it always reminds me of everything Cedar Point is not with regards to the word "family".

Speaking of which, TTD, I looked for you in France all week...but found no "ginger kid" in a yellow shirt. :) Sorry I missed you! Especially since you work at one of my favorite parks.

• Like 12

They've actually never fixed the problem (meaning, they're actually still too heavy and cumbersome). If a boat is not loaded just right, it's in danger of capsizing, or at the very least, taking on a lot of water and slowing down even more. The boats also move through the course much slower than envisioned, and there is a significant jarring (and sometimes painful) bump at the bottom of both hills if one is sitting in the right spot.

I certainly do not pretend to be an insider, but from what I have gathered from being a part of various discussions about this ride, this was essentially the "last straw" between Cedar Point (note; not Cedar Fair) and Intamin, and a lot of bridges were burned. Those bridges were already at least toasted.

Hence, you will often see boats leave with rows unfilled, and often be told exactly where to sit, etc...and it's a nearly 6-minute agonizingly long, slow ride.

Considering what it was designed to replace, Shoot the Rapids is a strikeout in my opinion. It's certainly not a family ride by any stretch of the imagination (see height requirements).

But don't mind me. I'm in a hotel in Newport News having spent the past 4 days visiting the great Busch Gardens Williamsburg; it always reminds me of everything Cedar Point is not with regards to the word "family".

Speaking of which, TTD, I looked for you in France all week...but found no "ginger kid" in a yellow shirt. :) Sorry I missed you! Especially since you work at one of my favorite parks.

Adding to this, I have read that the Intamin representative to the United States is less than nice to work with. Sandor Kernacs is his name I believe. I have not heard a nice word about the man. (I'm not one to judge some one who I have not met personally, so all of this is stuff I have read on various park fansites.)

I do agree that Shoot the Rapids was the last ride we will see Cedar Fair acquire from Intamin for quite some time.

Kevin, I am sad I missed you. Ever since I found out you are head of the "Face Your Fear Event" I've always wanted to meet you. Your field has always interested me. Maybe next time.

• Like 4

What is this "potential sinking issue"? Someone care to clue me in?

Probably more staff related than design, but the last time I went to Cedar Point they loaded the boat too heavy on one side. We were about 2 inches away from capsizing! Most terrifying ride I've had at the park all day.