Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

At one point, I saw a picture where the silver comb was broken. I think the legend says if you break the comb, you break Banshee. So, could that have been a clue that this isn't going to be the Banshee after all?

And I'm a newbie. This is the first year my kids have all been big enough to ride the rides at KI and we have had the best summer so far. I'm just chiming in on all the fun. Not meaning to offend some of the long time fans.

Good point. (I'm a newbie too, i just got into roller coasters about 3 months ago and now i'm hooked!)
  • Like 2

...But why let the "ghost of Son of Beast" die and just be forgotten about? Kings

Island has potential to do something awesome with theaming that actually ties in rollercaoster history behind it. I hope the potential is not wasted.

Really? Sure let's tie in this nice new coaster with a defunct coaster that was problematic from the start, severely injured people, and was in the news for all the wrong reasons. Lets not waste that potential.

• Like 5

A few thoughts.

After the announcement can Terpy have his promotional tombstone or will this be part of the theme like haunted mansion?

Secondly the batwing style element reminds me of an Aviation maneuver called the Cuban Eight or Bent Cuban Eight. This is something B&M has referenced for a long time as inspiration for some of their elements, but I don't think they have installed one that is more true to the aviation version. Nor as far as I know has it ever been executed in an inverted coaster.

loopie.jpg

Final thought, notice some of the unique footers throughout the course, the doubles and triangular footings. These are more than likely for an element, banking change or direction change to take the shifting load. The blueprints don't provide enough detail yet.

...But why let the "ghost of Son of Beast" die and just be forgotten about? Kings

Island has potential to do something awesome with theaming that actually ties in rollercaoster history behind it. I hope the potential is not wasted.

Really? Sure let's tie in this nice new coaster with a defunct coaster that was problematic from the start, severely injured people, and was in the news for all the wrong reasons. Lets not waste that potential.

Defunct or not, it was still an extremely historic coaster.

After the events of the past week or so I was really concerned that this KIC relationship with Kings Island had been very strained. The tombstones that I saw pictures of sort of eased my mind that things are going to be ok. I hope that I'm correct in that thought process. Props to those who were noted.

• Like 4

FYI... Stengel is the one that insisted KI build SOB over 200 feet. KI just wanted a looping woodie... Stengel kept insisting "bigger, taller!" Stengel never rode SOB.

P.S. I am jealous my name isn't on a tombstone! LOL... Actually the longer it takes to have my epitath enscribed on ANY stone the better! Anyways, I don't fit the theme... I'm Scottish. Ha ha!

Aye...but the Celtic culture spread into Scotland! They were manly, yes...but they like Irish Spring too.....LOL

• Like 3

A few thoughts.

After the announcement can Terpy have his promotional tombstone or will this be part of the theme like haunted mansion?

Secondly the batwing style element reminds me of an Aviation maneuver called the Cuban Eight or Bent Cuban Eight. This is something B&M has referenced for a long time as inspiration for some of their elements, but I don't think they have installed one that is more true to the aviation version. Nor as far as I know has it ever been executed in an inverted coaster.

loopie.jpg

Final thought, notice some of the unique footers throughout the course, the doubles and triangular footings. These are more than likely for an element, banking change or direction change to take the shifting load. The blueprints don't provide enough detail yet.

Maybe, but the blueprints don't show any banking changes between the two inversions. IMHO

• Like 1

You can have the history. I'll take common sense.

• Like 3

Is í ding di féin a scoileann an dair

Irish expression.. "It is a wedge of itself that splits the oak.." Basically, Keep your inner Demons at bay..

I couldnt fine a translation for "nil son tritean man do theinean lean"

closest i could find is "nil son tritean man do theinean lean"

Im guessing "Man Do not lean on the Son"..Maybe..

Im lterally applying everything Ive learned in the past 10 minutes about Irish language To this post.. ;)

Just Noticed, "O'TERPY" :D

The Interpeter?!?!

Edit: 300TH POST BABY! Im getting there.. ;)

• Like 2

Is í ding di féin a scoileann an dair

Irish expression.. "It is a wedge of itself that splits the oak.." Basically, Keep your inner Demons at bay..

I couldnt fine a translation for "nil son tritean man do theinean lean"

closest i could find is "nil son tritean man do theinean lean"

Im guessing "Man Do not lean on the Son"..Maybe..

Im lterally applying everything Ive learned in the past 10 minutes about Irish language To this post.. ;)

Just Noticed, "O'TERPY" :D

The Interpeter?!?!

Edit: 300TH POST BABY! Im getting there.. ;)

Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin - There's no place like home.

I think 'infamous' more accurately describes Son of Beast.

Okay, I'm slowly working my way through this topic, chipping away at the mountain of posts, but I just had to comment on this one!

Could you provide a link to that youtube video>?

That must be a hell of a good book the guy behind him is reading.

That guy looks very familiar... like a certain person from this site. I seem to recall seeing him somewhere before... (And the book was okay. Not the best he's ever read, but certainly not the worst. It did keep his attention though).

As to why he was reading during Gatekeeper Media Day:

Try riding in Row 4 then. I heard they have bigger seats, which would lead me to assume there are larger restraints.

The "big boy" seats are not consistent though. My first time riding Gatekeeper (row 4, right side, on the end), the ride op got me on with just a little bit of effort. After a quick bite to eat, I went to row 4 on the left side, on the end, and the girl wouldn't even attempt to get me in. I tried again a few hours later, left side row 4 on the end again. DaveStroem tried to get me in, and there was still about an inch left before the belt would meet the latch. A few hours after that, I once again went to row 4, right side, on the end, and it took quite a bit of effort from Beast Man and sheikra_rocks, but they got me in.

If I had know from the start that the trains were different colors, or where the train numbers could be found, I would have noted what train I got the first time. From what I could tell, GK's big boy seats were really no different than Wild Eagle's regular seats (which don't have designated big boy seats). Sometimes I fit them, sometimes I didn't.

But when I WAS able to ride, it's a very good ride. The keyholes are great, as is the roll past the towers on the way back.

After one ride and then a walk of shame 15 minutes later, I decided to take a break. I had planned ahead, even before Mrs. Gator asked me "What are you going to do all day if you don't fit?", and brought a couple books to keep myself busy while my friends rode GK, Raptor (which I don't fit) and Millie (which I don't fit either). It was a nice sunny day and I enjoyed myself, even if I did only ride two times, and I got to spend that day (and the next) with good friends!

Alright, back to the old posts. I made it to page 111 after reading until 3:00 last night. I think I might skip ahead to this week's posts, then go back to 111.

• Like 7

Wouldn't it be funny is that put BigSexy and YoungStud on the tombstones? Haha

They did have a YoungStud tombstone. While it was arguably the biggest and best tombstone it kept breaking and they would spend half the day getting it back up again.

Just kidding YoungStud. I wish the new ride would have been an Intamin also.

• Like 3