Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

I think SFMM trumps KI even with the 2014 ride. They have Ninja, Tatsu and Batman and if you want to get really technical, add in X2 and Green Lantern, which have points where the track is inverted. I'm guessing KI doesn't come close.

SFMM is a great park, but i don't think they put enough thought into their coasters. They seem to put them together as quick as possible just to get another one up. It's more quantity over quality with them. Where KI on the other hand takes longer to plan and design it's coasters to the terrain etc. I think this is why KI has 2 bonafide top ten coasters with The Beast and Diamondback and SFMM has none.

• Like 1

^Strongly disagree. X2 and Tatsu are both well above The Beast and Diamondback in my rankings. Though I do agree that in recent years, they've taken the quantity over quality approach.

• Like 6

I don't see why you people are arguing over which park is better. As much as I love Kings Island, Magic Mountain is the better park due to their coaster lineup and its location. Los Angeles VS. Cincinnati. I mean come on people!

• Like 2

I don't see why you people are arguing over which park is better. As much as I love Kings Island, Magic Mountain is the better park due to their coaster lineup and its location. Los Angeles VS. Cincinnati. I mean come on people!

Kings Island beat SFMM in attendance last year by almost 400,000 and over 400,000 in 2011. Source: 2012 Theme Index.

Who is arguing? Thursday's announcement is about Kings Island. Magic Mountain will be part of a chainwide SIX corporate announcement later this month.

As for attendance, Kings Island doesn't compete with Knott's and Disney. And those figures are estimates. They are not from SIX or FUN.

• Like 1

I don't see 218 feet to be honest. I'm really leaning more toward the inversion record than height. Although, as someone pointed out many, many pages ago, this may not be a record that the coaster itself gets. We may end up taking a record for the park as a whole, such as the record for most inverted/suspended track in one park (as we once had a record for most wooden track in one park. Maybe we still do, I'm not sure...).

Anyone have any idea where that record currently is? I'd bet it isn't a particularly well-documented one. We currently have 4,487 feet of suspended/inverted track. So currently, there are individual coasters that have more. But this one could actually double KI's current inverted-track length. Take out Flight Deck (as it is suspended rather than inverted), and it almost certainly will.

The news has already reported it as world record breaking....not park record breaking. ;)

He means that the park as a whole would break the world record for most inverted track in a single park.

I don't see 218 feet to be honest. I'm really leaning more toward the inversion record than height. Although, as someone pointed out many, many pages ago, this may not be a record that the coaster itself gets. We may end up taking a record for the park as a whole, such as the record for most inverted/suspended track in one park (as we once had a record for most wooden track in one park. Maybe we still do, I'm not sure...).

Anyone have any idea where that record currently is? I'd bet it isn't a particularly well-documented one. We currently have 4,487 feet of suspended/inverted track. So currently, there are individual coasters that have more. But this one could actually double KI's current inverted-track length. Take out Flight Deck (as it is suspended rather than inverted), and it almost certainly will.

The news has already reported it as world record breaking....not park record breaking. ;)

I'm not sure if we're on the same page. The coaster would increase some statistic for the park as a whole, and in doing so, the park would claim a world record. The record, however would be a record for "Most x in one park" rather than "Most x on one coaster", if that makes any more sense.

I'm not getting at this ride having the most inverted track at KI, I'm talking more about this ride increasing the amount of inverted track among ALL KI rides to an amount that gives Kings Island the world record. If that makes more sense.

Edit: Darn jcgoble3...

Ehhh.....now I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure I accept that as the "world record" they're talking about. For one thing, KI itself has said this will be a world record breaking attraction. (I suppose if we're going to be that technical, they didn't say it would be a coaster, either, did they?) But I think if it were something involving a record for the park itself, they would have worded things differently. They simply would have said it would set a world record for the park - not that it would be a world record breaking attraction.

• Like 2

CP used a similar "World Record" when WT was built:

The only park with 3 coasters over 200'.

With the addition of Wicked Twister, Cedar Point will be the only amusement park in the world to stake claim to having three roller coasters above 200 feet tall: the 205-foot-tall Magnum XL-200 (1989); the 310-foot-tall Millennium Force (2000) and now the 215-foot-tall Wicked Twister. This twisted scream machine will also be the eighth world-record-breaking ride Cedar Point has introduced since debuting the world-renowned Magnum XL-200 roller coaster in 1989. Plus, Wicked Twister will be the eighth roller coaster the park has added during this same time period.

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coasters/new02/cp_wickedtwister/cp_wicked_pr.shtml
  • Like 5

Who is arguing? Thursday's announcement is about Kings Island. Magic Mountain will be part of a chainwide SIX corporate announcement later this month.

As for attendance, Kings Island doesn't compete with Knott's and Disney. And those figures are estimates. They are not from SIX or FUN.

I am simply saying that considering the dense population of LA compared to Cincy, KI holds their own with the

"big boys" and still beats them in attendance. I think one of the reasons for this is because KI plans their rides better instead of just throwing one up every other year like SFMM does. Yes, I do believe they (six flags) has more money than Cedar Fair, which is all the more reason i am impressed with KI's attendance.

I still can't decode the blueprints!!! It just all looks like straight lines going in different directions to me, except for the noticeable loops... I guess I just have no imagination and need to do more research on what these terms mean. In other news, I go to church out by the steel plant that is making the track.... I am going to drive by it after church tomorrow and see if I can see anything :) lol

if someone could please post the blueprints decoded (ie, outline different sections and say this is what this part is) that would be nice :rolleyes:

I wish I had some fancy software where I could just plug in the blueprints and have it build a simulated model of Banshee based on the blueprints.

As far as the rumor surrounding the name... check these things out... First off, read the Wiki article on Banshee.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee

- If you look through the gaps in the gate you see what looks like a witch scarecrow.
- According to Wiki, the Banshee is said to look like a scary hag. The "scarecrow" looks more like a hag than your typical scarecrow, at least in my opinion.

1001542_10151573394382956_1413185426_n.j
- At the construction site there are now Celtic cross gravestones
- According to Wiki, later versions of this mythology believe the Banshee is might appear when someone is about to die or recently dead
- At the construction site, you also find owl statues in the trees.
- According to Wiki, versions of the mythology believe that the Banshee would wail if someone was about to die, and this wail is described to be a "thin, screeching sound somewhere
between the wail of a woman and the moan of an owl.

In addition, the Fox19 news station here in Cincinnati received a silver comb laced with fake pale blonde hair at their studio on Wednesday.
1006041_10151795939471031_1821072883_n.j

According to the Wiki article about the mythology, "Banshees are frequently described as dressed in white or grey, often having long, pale hair which they brush with a silver comb."

Just thought I'd share some interesting facts :)

• Like 3

Sigh.

My thing on SFMM was in light of people saying KI would have the most inverted coaster track. I think SFMM has more even if this new coaster gets above 4,000 ft. Tatsu and Batman combined length alone beat out the entirety of KI's inverted track for length.

I've never been to SFMM so I wouldn't go on comparing it to KI as of yet, its not my style to compare things I haven't done to things I have done.

I would also be sad if Flight Deck was removed. It is the one ride that got me interested in coasters.

• Like 1

I still can't decode the blueprints!!! It just all looks like straight lines going in different directions to me, except for the noticeable loops... I guess I just have no imagination and need to do more research on what these terms mean. In other news, I go to church out by the steel plant that is making the track.... I am going to drive by it after church tomorrow and see if I can see anything :) lol

if someone could please post the blueprints decoded (ie, outline different sections and say this is what this part is) that would be nice :rolleyes:

I wish I had some fancy software where I could just plug in the blueprints and have it build a simulated model of Banshee based on the blueprints.

As far as the rumor surrounding the name... check these things out... First off, read the Wiki article on Banshee.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee

- If you look through the gaps in the gate you see what looks like a witch scarecrow.

- According to Wiki, the Banshee is said to look like a scary hag. The "scarecrow" looks more like a hag than your typical scarecrow, at least in my opinion.

- According to Wiki, later versions of this mythology believe the Banshee is might appear when someone is about to die or recently dead

- According to Wiki, versions of the mythology believe that the Banshee would wail if someone was about to die, and this wail is described to be a "thin, screeching sound somewhere

In addition, the Fox19 news station here in Cincinnati received a silver comb laced with fake pale blonde hair at their studio on Wednesday.

According to the Wiki article about the mythology, "Banshees are frequently described as dressed in white or grey, often having long, pale hair which they brush with a silver comb."

Your actually very, very, and may i add again, very late

• Like 7

Your actually very, very, and may i add again, very late

First of all, it's you're, not your :P (just sayin....) and I may be late, but I don't live on this site like others do, and I sure don't have the time to go through 364 previous pages to make sure I'm not posting something that someone else already did :P

• Like 10

My video is done.

About the name, I'm sure this has been said before, but Banshee would make perfect sense as it is announcing the death of SOB.

Maybe this will help you Kat

sweet! Thanks! :) I'll go look at that right now :)

My video is done.

About the name, I'm sure this has been said before, but Banshee would make perfect sense as it is announcing the death of SOB.

That's really sweet looking!!! :) Maybe a stupid question, but I'm assuming that's based on the actual blueprints? :)

• Like 1

My video is done.

That's really sweet looking!!! :) Maybe a stupid question, but I'm assuming that's based on the actual blueprints? :)

It seems pretty consistent with the blue print video I saw

My video is done.

It seems pretty consistent with the blue print video I saw

nice :) I can't wait til Thursday! :D

OK, what's wrong with us? The day that we got the date of the announcement, and again when the blueprints were found, we peaked at around 960 to 975 posts in a 24-hour period, but AFAIK we didn't break 1,000 (unless it was briefly broken in the morning when I was in bed asleep and couldn't check it). I thought that activity would be maintained through the announcement and we would eventually reach 1,440 in 24 hours, or one post per minute average. Instead, right now we're down to fewer than 500 posts in the past 24 hours.

Come on! Post! Post! POST!!! :P

• Like 2

I will be streaming the event LIVE the night of the announcement on UStream. Tune into the channel "coastergeek" at 9:55 PM EST.

Are you 100% going to be streaming? I'm not trying to doubt you but I went ahead and saved your channel page to my favorites so I can just go and look at it at 9:55 on Thursday. I would hate to have to scramble to try to find a live stream at that time.

OK, what's wrong with us? The day that we got the date of the announcement, and again when the blueprints were found, we peaked at around 960 to 975 posts in a 24-hour period, but AFAIK we didn't break 1,000 (unless it was briefly broken in the morning when I was in bed asleep and couldn't check it). I thought that activity would be maintained through the announcement and we would eventually reach 1,440 in 24 hours, or one post per minute average. Instead, right now we're down to fewer than 500 posts in the past 24 hours.

Come on! Post! Post! POST!!! :P

What is there left to talk about?

I loved Magic Mountain!!!!

Supes the escape is the best coaster on the west coast!