Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

Secondson wrote: In my ever-so-humble but outspoken opinion, the only reason a giga exists is for the sake of feeding the thrill enthusiasts' desire for ever-increasing height and speed. But then after they've had their fill and get bored, they crave more...something even higher and faster. At what point does it become enough? Read my previous post. At what height and speed would a coaster need to be for it to satisfy you? And what happens when you get bored with it, but there are no other higher and faster coasters left to conquer?

That's not only why gigas exist, it's the reason amusement parks exist. You act like feeding thrill seekers desires is a bad thing. It's actually the business plan. If you aren't seeking thrills, why go to KI? You can go to the community park and ride the slide and go swimming in the community pool. Feeding thrill seekers desires is what KI is. That's why we don't have 6 Racers. How high is high enough? How fast is fast enough? I'm not sure, but we'll let them know when they get there.

Kings Island is a family-oriented park. It's not in the business of always pleasing the thrill junkies who need a bigger, badder, faster coaster to provide their rush for them. If they had been listening to you, don't you think they would have had a full-circuit invert, a floorless, and a giga long before now? Don't you think they would have replaced King Cobra with another world-class standup coaster within a couple of years after removing it? Don't you think they would have built a custom flying coaster, instead of giving us a leftover from Geauga Lake? It took them 20 years....TWENTY YEARS....just to get a steel hyper coaster.

I stand by my thoughts. KI doesn't need a giga. Not now anyway. Sorry my opinion is ruining the party for everyone.

• Like 1

Secondson wrote: In my ever-so-humble but outspoken opinion, the only reason a giga exists is for the sake of feeding the thrill enthusiasts' desire for ever-increasing height and speed. But then after they've had their fill and get bored, they crave more...something even higher and faster. At what point does it become enough? Read my previous post. At what height and speed would a coaster need to be for it to satisfy you? And what happens when you get bored with it, but there are no other higher and faster coasters left to conquer?

That's not only why gigas exist, it's the reason amusement parks exist. You act like feeding thrill seekers desires is a bad thing. It's actually the business plan. If you aren't seeking thrills, why go to KI? You can go to the community park and ride the slide and go swimming in the community pool. Feeding thrill seekers desires is what KI is. That's why we don't have 6 Racers. How high is high enough? How fast is fast enough? I'm not sure, but we'll let them know when they get there.

Kings Island is a family-oriented park. It's not in the business of always pleasing the thrill junkies who need a bigger, badder, faster coaster to provide their rush for them. If they had been listening to you, don't you think they would have had a full-circuit invert, a floorless, and a giga long before now? Don't you think they would have replaced King Cobra with another world-class standup coaster within a couple of years after removing it? Don't you think they would have built a custom flying coaster, instead of giving us a leftover from Geauga Lake? It took them 20 years....TWENTY YEARS....just to get a steel hyper coaster.

But it only took them 3 years once they were finally owned and operated by a "modern thrill"-oriented company.

Wonder who they is? The GM? Mr. Ouimet? The Board of Directors?

At Six Flags, the local management is given a budget and attendance/demographic goals. How to get there is determined locally. Under Mr. Kinzel, nearly all, including the smallest, decisions were made at 1 Cedar Point Drive.

• Like 2

Here are my construction pics from today (I also took several other pics - those are in my main KI 2013 set on Flickr):

For those who don't have flash: KI Construction 6/5

Interesting to note that our beloved triangular footer now has grass growing on it. Perhaps it was not meant to be part of a ride but rather part of some nice landscaping?

• Like 5

I stand by my thoughts. KI doesn't need a giga. Not now anyway. Sorry my opinion is ruining the party for everyone.

But you can use the same logic and ask how many loops are enough, corkscrews, rolls .. then what? You act like your dealing with junkies. "... need ... to provide their rush for them." The majority of people go to amusement parks for thrills whether its's height, speed, rolls, whatever. Bigger, badder, faster is the lure. Nobody advertises the world's most average loop, or hits speeds of up to 55mph, or drops 138ft. It's precisely these things that bring people, other than the people who will already be there, into the park. I don't know what they're building, but a giga seems to me would attract the most attention. And adding a giga won't make KI any less of a family oriented park. Some families like gigas.

By your logic, that means Planet Snoopy shouldn't exist. Amusement parks need to cater to ALL demographics. As overrated as Cedar Point is, it has pretty much everything under one roof, even having as many as THREE areas for the little kids. As for the thrill seekers' business plan being the only plan worth doing, need people be, once again, reminded of Worlds of Adventure?

• Like 8

Screamscape.com

2014 - Banshee / New Coaster - Rumor - (6/6/13) I’ve been sent a number of messages and tweets about our latest prediction for Banshee to be a B&M Wing Coaster, mostly because Matt Ouimet stated in an interview that Cedar Fair had no Wing Coasters on the drawing boards for 2014. Of course, this wouldn’t be the first time a man in his position has told a white lie to protect a future project in the works… and at the same time, I can’t verify that the 2014 Kings Island ride will be a Wing coaster either.

Personally, I think it’s a bit kooky to build follow up Gatekeeper at The Point with such a similar style coaster at Kings Island. As I’ve said before, I’d rather seen a gigantic B&M Inverted coaster or Floorless coaster added instead, something with more than 7 inversions. Of perhaps even a B&M Dive Machine would fit the bill.

Of course, there is the remote possibility that we could perhaps be seeing the evolution of the Wing coaster come to Kings Island as well. Going back to when the first rumors about the very first Wing coaster were coming out of Italy, our source said that B&M wanted to evolve their Wing coaster design after a few years to include 4th Dimension style spinning seats. It’s a remote long shot…and no one has even suggested this to me for the Kings Island 2014 project yet, but… I’m just going to put that idea in your heads for now. Don’t even think of it as a “maybe” yet… just think of it as a “What if?”

In the meantime, if your local, keep an eye on the track fabrication yard in Batavia, I hear they have some wing coaster track sitting around destined for somewhere…

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm

By your logic, that means Planet Snoopy shouldn't exist. Amusement parks need to cater to ALL demographics. As overrated as Cedar Point is, it has pretty much everything under one roof, even having as many as THREE areas for the little kids. As for the thrill seekers' business plan being the only plan worth doing, need people be, once again, reminded of Worlds of Adventure?

I don't think that is my logic. Planet Snoopy is feeding thrill seekers desires. Whether it's the kids or the parent wanting to thrill their kids, KI is providing thrills for thrill seekers. Planet Snoopy is great. The rides get a little more thrilling until they are ready to ride the big rides, effectively moving on to "bigger, badder, faster." A swing set is thrilling, too, but then you ride Zephyr, then you ride WindSeeker. It's a progression. KI is where you go for "bigger, badder, faster."

No, families all over 54".

So what happens to the families with smaller children? Does the entire demographic get neglected and the crowds--along with their money--go elsewhere?

Yes Crypt. That is exactly what I'm saying. By building a giga, they will probably need to remove all of Planet Snoopy rides effectively neglecting everyone with small kids and driving them into the arms of traveling carnivals and circuses who will be be the only ones around to provide any rides for people with small kids. Families with teen, pre teen, and growth disorder children will rejoice.

All's I'm saying is the young'uns need something new. The last time an attraction was added in the kid's area was in 2006, and the last non-extreme flat ride (this means excluding WindSeeker) was in 1986 with the Zephyr and the refurbishment of the Dodgems.

Would it really be such a bad thing if a gentle flat came in?

• Like 1

No, families all over 54".

So what happens to the families with smaller children? Does the entire demographic get neglected and the crowds--along with their money--go elsewhere?

Yes Crypt. That is exactly what I'm saying. By building a giga, they will probably need to remove all of Planet Snoopy rides effectively neglecting everyone with small kids and driving them into the arms of traveling carnivals and circuses who will be be the only ones around to provide any rides for people with small kids. Families with teen, pre teen, and growth disorder children will rejoice.

Well, it is festival season right now.....

• Like 2

All's I'm saying is the young'uns need something new. The last time an attraction was added in the kid's area was in 2006, and the last non-extreme flat ride (this means excluding WindSeeker) was in 1986 with the Zephyr and the refurbishment of the Dodgems.

Young'uns do get something new. They eventually are tall enough to ride the bigger rides which are new to them. New little kids replace the ones that are tall enough for bigger rides, so everything in Planet Snoopy is new to them. It's a cycle.

• Like 6

I don't think what they're building is a gentle flat. Could be, I don't know. I think it's a roller coaster that will neglect small children. If it's an invert, it won't be the same size and speed of Invertigo. It will be bigger, badder, faster. If it's a looper, it won't be less than Vortex. It will be bigger badder faster. If it's a hyper/giga, it will be bigger and faster than DB. The idea that bigger badder faster is a negative and not the business plan seems incorrect. It doesn't have to be 327ft and do 101mph, but whatever it is will most likely be bigger and badder than whatever is in it's category.

Young'uns do get something new. They eventually are tall enough to ride the bigger rides which are new to them. New little kids replace the ones that are tall enough for bigger rides, so everything in Planet Snoopy is new to them. It's a cycle.

Hmm? My 4 year old loved her Planet Snoopy last year, now she would rather go to the bounce house! If you don't have kids ,don't speak for them! I get what you saying though.

• Like 1

If it is an Invert I would be very disappointed. I would rather have a Giga or Wind Rider or even a Dive coaster.

I agree.

I third that. Doesn't anyone else think inverts are outdated? And head swirlers? :wacko:

Invertigo is always the last ride of the night for me for that reason. With my head at the axis of the spin, I get really dizzy.

I can tell you They doesn't include KIC members.

I believe all the decisions are still made at 1 Cedar Point Drive, what else would Rob Decker, Corporate Vice President of Planning & Design do?

Well Don is a known member of KIC forum.... so I mean he may have some say or input or idea? And do we know if there are no CF planners who have a secret account on here? :)

Screamscape.com

2014 - Banshee / New Coaster - Rumor - (6/6/13) I’ve been sent a number of messages and tweets about our latest prediction for Banshee to be a B&M Wing Coaster, mostly because Matt Ouimet stated in an interview that Cedar Fair had no Wing Coasters on the drawing boards for 2014. Of course, this wouldn’t be the first time a man in his position has told a white lie to protect a future project in the works… and at the same time, I can’t verify that the 2014 Kings Island ride will be a Wing coaster either.

Personally, I think it’s a bit kooky to build follow up Gatekeeper at The Point with such a similar style coaster at Kings Island. As I’ve said before, I’d rather seen a gigantic B&M Inverted coaster or Floorless coaster added instead, something with more than 7 inversions. Of perhaps even a B&M Dive Machine would fit the bill.

Of course, there is the remote possibility that we could perhaps be seeing the evolution of the Wing coaster come to Kings Island as well. Going back to when the first rumors about the very first Wing coaster were coming out of Italy, our source said that B&M wanted to evolve their Wing coaster design after a few years to include 4th Dimension style spinning seats. It’s a remote long shot…and no one has even suggested this to me for the Kings Island 2014 project yet, but… I’m just going to put that idea in your heads for now. Don’t even think of it as a “maybe” yet… just think of it as a “What if?”

In the meantime, if your local, keep an eye on the track fabrication yard in Batavia, I hear they have some wing coaster track sitting around destined for somewhere…

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm

Basically he just shortened up everything we have said on 96 pages (mainly 15 novel pages and 81 other pages of copied material)

I don't think that is my logic. Planet Snoopy is feeding thrill seekers desires. Whether it's the kids or the parent wanting to thrill their kids, KI is providing thrills for thrill seekers. Planet Snoopy is great. The rides get a little more thrilling until they are ready to ride the big rides, effectively moving on to "bigger, badder, faster." A swing set is thrilling, too, but then you ride Zephyr, then you ride WindSeeker. It's a progression. KI is where you go for "bigger, badder, faster."

Yes KI fills the thrill seeker mentality. The older family members totally love riding the big and bad rides... oh wait. No they dont. Some actually prefer and need to ride gentle flats and see shows.

Here are my construction pics from today (I also took several other pics - those are in my main KI 2013 set on Flickr):

For those who don't have flash: KI Construction 6/5

Interesting to note that our beloved triangular footer now has grass growing on it. Perhaps it was not meant to be part of a ride but rather part of some nice landscaping?

That is actually a second triangular footing being prepped for concrete. The other one is still there, they are both circled in the photo below:

20130605_182919_1-1.jpg

• Like 3