Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

All I'm saying is that Kings Island should continue to focus on building high thrill rides. I didn't say Kings Island already wasn't. Well, maybe I did. I don't know. Nevermind. I'll stop talking. Case closed. Let's move on. There's no sense in starting a long drawn out argument. Sorry. It was my fault. I'll stop. :blink:

• Like 2

I know we've already ruled out the dark green supports as being for another coaster, but sitting on the side of the building, I saw a large lime green piece of track.

I don't have any pictures unfortunately, so if you want to wait until someone takes a picture to believe me that's fine. Not claiming this is track piece is destined for Kings Island, but thought I'd let you all know what I saw.

I believe that piece of track is headed to China for Flying Over the Rainforest. Does B&M still make their parts for Asia at Clermont?

SO KI has never been on the cutting edge?

Someone help me here, but

Racer (started coaster revolution)

Beast (record breaker)

Bat (prototype)

Vortex (first coaster with 6 inversions)

King Cobra (Prototype)

FoF (Prototype)

TRTR (First Giant top spin?)

Those are just the first of their kind cutting edge type rides...

Delirium (First giant Frisbee)

Son of Beast (record breaker)

Screamin' Demon (first Arrow launch coaster)

How many of these were under the current regime at 1 Cedar Point Dr.?

And on the "family experience" discussion, Ouimet: "There's not a lot in the middle... rides that parents are on with their kids, but not solely because of their kids... This is one we are about to roll out in multiple parks, where I know a parent will have at least as good of a time as their kids. And I think that's the sweet spot." (followed my some coughing, probably allergies or something)

Calm down, have a little faith. The man at the helm is a genius in this industry. He knows what he is doing- be it a family ride, a new show, or a 400 ft. looping floorless wooden coaster. Trust the guys in charge, and if you are looking to truly have FUN and not looking to point out every little flaw you can find, you will not be disappointed.

End rant.

• Like 11

There maybe a hidden reason to the no camping sign. Countless enthusiasts practically flock to that region every day, almost camping there. My two cents? It is not the theme, it is telling enthusiasts not to "camp" at B&M or at the 'plains.

• Like 6

:rolleyes: Every time I peak through the fence by the no camping signs I'm the only moron doing it! We are a very small group who really care to that degree. To quote my oldest kid " Do you really care that much, it will be here soon enough!". I said before, I'm the biggest kid in the family! By the way, I quit looking through the fence, sometimes your own kid can....... 'check you!'.

• Like 3

I dunno why I keep suspect our next new roller coaster will be launched by Intamin. Check out the link below and look at the picture of Formula Rossa triangle foundation. It's so much similar to our mystery triangle foundation. Let's hope our next new coaster will be surpassed many break records!

http://www.parking-gallery.net/2013/05/12/grammars-of-desire-by-naadira-patel-a-month-long-exhibition-from-15-may-5-june-the-parking-gallery/formula-rossa/

^^Then what was Diamondback, a new addition to Planet Snoopy?

^Cedar Fair under Kinzel (and a perfect example of Kinzel placing a high thrill ride in a place without considering location)

I actually think the proximity of Diamondback to Planet Snoopy is brilliant. While the older ones in the family get their fix on a high thrill coaster, the young ones can go run around on their favorite rides just a few feet away while they wait. I mean come on, I can't be the only one that realizes this brilliant location.

• Like 6

I jump on DB every time the family and I show up for early ride time! Its perfect, the wife and younger kids are at Planet Snoopy, I meet them after early ride time while the older kids head to X-Base. I love DB location. O.K, I wont lie! Sometimes I sneak off to X-Base to, but then I catch up with the little ones! Haha

• Like 2

Ugh. I'm done trying to figure out this mess. Something in my gut tells me my long-held dreams about KI are going to remain just that...dreams. I think KI has seen the last of its significant steel coasters to be built for a number of years to come. I no longer think the current project is going to be what I was hoping it would be. After hearing more about Ouimet's thoughts for the chain, as well as reading some comments here, I'm convinced the direction of the park is to keep things tame and low key. KI is not a thrill park. It's a family park. Since each park in the chain is supposed to be a separate brand, to me that means the people who want thrills will be expected to go to CP. But we can't all make that trip, so we miss out on these world-class cutting edge coasters, because they usually always go to Ohio's "thrill park" first...CP. I'm amazed KI even built Diamondback to begin with, though that was before Ouimet took over. But it still took KI 20 years after Magnum was built to get a steel hyper. So the message I'm receiving loud and clear is that they want to keep KI a family-focused park, which means no more thrilling coasters. They tossed us a bone with Firehawk, and finally caved in and built Diamondback. But I honestly don't expect there to be anything more beyond that. This new construction is probably for a family coaster. Terp told us to look at Italian Job, so how else do you analyze that?

Sorry for the cynicism. Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully I am. My gut's just telling me I'm going to be totally disappointed later this summer. Oh well. It's not about me.

I'll let you guys get back to your discussion. I'll check in later this summer to see what this "brilliant" move turns out to be.

I agree I would be highly disappointed in the Cedar Fair Company if they mainly focused on JUST family. I mean what are the thrill seekers supposed to do? Build our own? Cedar Point is supposed to be An amazing park with cutting edge coasters , not family coaster that go up 20 feet high and drop 6 feet at 11 MPH. They already have a kiddie area in the Cedar Fair parks why just not keep it the way it's going? Ughhh... I'm so confused

It may be that families spend more money in the park than the enthusiast niche who wants the biggest fastest etc. Plus in the park, I think Racer as a family ride. Fun, air time, not too fast. Nostalgic. So family fun doesnt have to be boring. Heck look at Universal. Spiderman/Men In Black/Simpsons. All family fun rides that all want to ride. I would even say the Harry Potter ride, but not sure if its a bit on the thrilling side...

I'm sorry but I really hate it when CEO's feel like they have to make their parks more "family-focused" than it already is. You know why? Because "family-focused" usually results not in something "the whole family can enjoy", but something only little kids will enjoy because it has to stoop to the lowest thrill denominator.

Now I know, "family-focused" can mean a lot of things, such as the making the park more affordable, but I just think that Kings Island already has enough family and kids rides (hence, best Kid's Area in the World) so if Mr. O is smart (not implying that he isn't) he would fully turn his attention to building more thrill rides at Kings Island.

Besides, isn't the thrill-seeker part of the family to?

see above post. Is The Racer a boring ride? Maybe to you if its not a thrill ride its boring, but many many people enjoy rides that they can ride not with just the daredevil in the family but with all members.

Just because it may be a ride that "parents will ride with their kids" doesn't mean whatever we are getting won't be thrilling. Rides like Gatekeeper and even Cheetah Hunt come to mind.

If we are honestly complaining because what we are getting may not be a 300+ foot Giga coaster, it makes me wonder if we'd rather have Kinzel back just so we can have a roller coaster placed without meaning or consideration to other sections of the park.

It is possible to focus on more than just the family/just the thrillseeker without just "stooping to the lowest thrill denominator."

^Cedar Fair under Kinzel (and a perfect example of Kinzel placing a high thrill ride in a place without considering location)

Sort of like putting Firehawk smack dab at the in the middle of what could have been a park expansion? or when Paramount replaced a nice relaxing green space family ride with a big ugly junkyard coaster?

All I'm saying is that Kings Island should continue to focus on building high thrill rides. I didn't say Kings Island already wasn't. Well, maybe I did. I don't know. Nevermind. I'll stop talking. Case closed. Let's move on. There's no sense in starting a long drawn out argument. Sorry. It was my fault. I'll stop. :blink:

Long drawn out arguments are what keep these boards alive. You are allowed your opinion. 10 years ago, I would have agreed with you. But now I am nearing 30, and would like rides that I can ride with my 50+ parents and in a few years rides I can enjoy with my kid and his grandparents.

Personal rant/story: I went to CP a few years ago. Wife and I rode everything. We are park goers. We enjoy the park but to be honest the thrill of the rides was awesome, but not many of the rides were "re-ride fun" for me. I mean TTD was awesome because of the launch, but then after that it was just a big drop. It was great, but now that I have rode it, it would lead me back to the park. Versus when I went to Busch gardens, Griffin was a great unique and I loved Alpengeist and Big Bad Wolf. Not to mention the fun rides in Universal. At KI,rides that I find just plain fun are beast and racer and flight deck. White water canyon is fun as well.

As I get older, I find myself looking for rides that are fun and can be rode multiple times.

• Like 7

Good lord I struggle to stay up to date with this forum... I feel like I leave it for 10 min and their is 2 more pages added!

Now if this was going to be an indoors attraction‚ would the building be built by now? Sorry if thats a stupid question...

Not necessarily! You got the money, it can be built in a wink! I've seen it many times.

Ugh. I'm done trying to figure out this mess. Something in my gut tells me my long-held dreams about KI are going to remain just that...dreams. I think KI has seen the last of its significant steel coasters to be built for a number of years to come. I no longer think the current project is going to be what I was hoping it would be. After hearing more about Ouimet's thoughts for the chain, as well as reading some comments here, I'm convinced the direction of the park is to keep things tame and low key. KI is not a thrill park. It's a family park. Since each park in the chain is supposed to be a separate brand, to me that means the people who want thrills will be expected to go to CP. But we can't all make that trip, so we miss out on these world-class cutting edge coasters, because they usually always go to Ohio's "thrill park" first...CP. I'm amazed KI even built Diamondback to begin with, though that was before Ouimet took over. But it still took KI 20 years after Magnum was built to get a steel hyper. So the message I'm receiving loud and clear is that they want to keep KI a family-focused park, which means no more thrilling coasters. They tossed us a bone with Firehawk, and finally caved in and built Diamondback. But I honestly don't expect there to be anything more beyond that. This new construction is probably for a family coaster. Terp told us to look at Italian Job, so how else do you analyze that?

Sorry for the cynicism. Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully I am. My gut's just telling me I'm going to be totally disappointed later this summer. Oh well. It's not about me.

I'll let you guys get back to your discussion. I'll check in later this summer to see what this "brilliant" move turns out to be.

Beast (record breaker)

Bat (prototype)

King Cobra (Prototype)

FoF (Prototype)

It may have been the wrong term to use, but I meant "world-class cutting edge" as in the following:

• Floorless, with Immelmann/dive loop, or Zero-G roll or inclined loop
  • Full-circuit invert, with multiple inversions including Zero-G or Immelmann/dive loop
  • Stand-up coaster, with any of the above mentioned inversions
  • Wing coaster/4D coaster, with multiple inversions
  • Giga coaster

Those are 5 coasters which you will not find at KI. However, with the exception of Valleyfair, you will find at least ONE of those coasters at any other prominent CF park - and some CF parks have more than one of them. It has simply been my dream to get one of them (well, not the Giga coaster....I couldn't care less about those things). But the way it seems, with all the talk of wanting to build "family attractions", we probably won't see any of them built. Unless someone can tell me for certain that we will be getting something off that list, I refuse to believe this new coaster will be anything other than ordinary and lackluster. Why bring a high-thrill coaster to a park they so obviously want to keep as a "family focused" place?

Whatever. I'm kinda losing interest, and I know KI would never take my opinion into consideration anyway, since I'm just one opinion in a sea of people who want to tell me how wrong I am.

Well if we follow the philosophy of some 17 year old, we could get something pretty nice.

Kid 1: What to now?

Kid 2: Lets do a kiddie ride.

Kid 1: Well lets go do Firehawk, thats a Kiddie ride.

They may have mistaken.

But if Firehawk is Kiddie Ride.

Imagine all of the possibilities...

• Like 2

Beast (record breaker)

Bat (prototype)

King Cobra (Prototype)

FoF (Prototype)

Now i feel like a daredevil for putting my butt in those rides. I loved the prototype phase.

• Like 3

I think it should be noted that a family oriented ride can also be thrilling. Dollywood for example considers Wild Eagle a family coaster even working with B&M to lower the height requirement. Powder Keg at SDC also is considered a family ride and many more examples just in those two parks. I would like to add to that Cheetah Hunt just to prove Intamin can build a launched and inverting coaster that is also a family ride. Not all families have children under 48" or whatever height requirement and I'm sure Mr. Ouimet understands that you can't please every family dynamic with every addition. Maybe this time he's going after families with children over (insert height) and maybe next time we'll get something like Antique Cars that will go after an even broader demographic. My biggest point in this is don't think that just because a company is expressing a desire to please their biggest paycheck doesn't mean there can't be thrill, and when and if the thrills become lacking they can fill that void.

• Like 4

A Few Good Men? Code RED?

Field of Dreams? Baseball?

"Working on a special event for later this summer that will excite Cincinnati sports fans?"

New for 2014: Big Red Machine: The Ride?

:)

A Few Good Men? Code RED?

Field of Dreams? Baseball?

"Working on a special event for later this summer that will excite Cincinnati sports fans?"

New for 2014: Big Red Machine: The Ride?

:)

What if all those huge footers are just for a mondo set of stands for a baseball camp?

We would all feel foolish.