Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

Hey guys, I'm new here. If I were the one to choose what would replace SOB, it would probably be an Intamin Giga. The reason: Intamin has those elevator cables that get you to the top of the hill faster and smoother, and the incline can also be steeper, providing more intensity to the ride. Also, it seems as though Intamin coasters like to stay low to the ground with "twisties" (as Robb Alvey calls them) and high speed turns. B&M coasters have the airtime and the hammerhead turns and all that.

An inverted coaster would surprise me. With all of the land KI owns, it would have to be really big to cover that much land, assuming that KI is just gonna cover the land with a coaster.

A multi-launching coaster like Maverick would also have to be huge in order to accomodate that much land, but I love those types of rides.

A wing coaster is a cool idea, but unlikely, cause Gatekeeper was just finished being built. BTW, Flying over the Rainforest took GK's place as longest wing coaster incase you all didn't know.

Overall, I'm anticipating an Intamin Giga for the 2014 season. With that much land, it's almost certain we're getting one of those. Cedar Fair have been doing a two year Giga thing. (I305 in 2010, Leviathan in 2012, 2014....)

Hi! Welcome to KIC!

Regarding some of your comments, I don't think anyone has ever said the coaster will have to take up all of the space that is now available. The recurring statement is "Future Expansion". So, a coaster could just be a small part of the expansion; with more coming in later years.

Also, as you will see if you take a look through past pages, there is impressive evidence that this will be an inverted.

Personally, I wouldn't mind an Intamin giga, but I constantly hear of them being a nightmare to maintain, so I don't know. If it were one, I'd hope for something along the lines of I305 vs MF.

Anyway, I hope you like it here!

I'd love for a Gravity Group, GCI, or Rocky Mountain coaster to be put in. Hell just as much as a B&M Invert. But of course who wouldn't want an Intamin Giga? There are only two in the world. And let's be real here, sure Intimidator 305 had some issues but they did do the re-profiling in the off season. I don't really hear about many problems with Millennium Force. I305's issues stem around the huge drop into the 5G turn around, which causes stress on the riders and the wheel assembly/trains.

Nothing can compare the "cost to maintain" like SOB. Both financially and PR wise.

• Like 1

It will not be a woodie. If park and Cedar Fair officials know what's good for them, they will avoid anything that the public could possibly confuse with Son of Beast in that area for a LONG time due to SOB's bad reputation. I would guess that they won't even consider the possibility of putting a woodie anywhere in Action Zone until at least 2030.

Son of Beast wasn't that bad...

It will not be a woodie. If park and Cedar Fair officials know what's good for them, they will avoid anything that the public could possibly confuse with Son of Beast in that area for a LONG time due to SOB's bad reputation. I would guess that they won't even consider the possibility of putting a woodie anywhere in Action Zone until at least 2030.

Son of Beast wasn't that bad...

I've been riding rides from Egypt to Australia. And in my opinion. It was the worst. Right there with Hurler at Carowinds. A wooden coaster with Premier restraints? That was the worst. It was slightly not as sh*tty with the Twisted Twins trains, but still the worst I've been on haha.

If it was a smaller GCI I don't know how anyone with half a brain couldn't figure out that it wasn't SOB. If you put a huge sign and entry plaza and plaster the name all over park maps I don't see the problem with adding a new woodie in that area.

You know, I totally agree with you. I don't think people are that stupid that they wouldn't be able to figure out that a new wood coaster was not SOB, particularly since almost everyone knows SOB was torn down. It's not like everyone looked at Vortex and said "Oh, gee, isn't that where The Bat used to be? That must be the same coaster with a new name. I don't want to ride it".

• Like 1

Let's get down to facts, not opinions people.

Then don't tell people their opinions are wrong.

You said you want a giga because KI doesn't have a coaster over 300'. So what?? Is that the only reason you want one...just to say KI has one? The park also doesn't have a strata. Should we plop one in just because everything we currently have is under 230'?

Sheesh....I'm in a bad mood, so I'm going to leave you guys alone.

• Like 5

If it was a smaller GCI I don't know how anyone with half a brain couldn't figure out that it wasn't SOB. If you put a huge sign and entry plaza and plaster the name all over park maps I don't see the problem with adding a new woodie in that area.

The "bad reputation" I'm talking about is not simply about being rough/not enjoyable, but about injuring 27 people on one train, and any rumors floating around that somebody died on it. The more clueless members of the public will simply assume that it's the same ride, but renamed. Look through the Guests Say The Darnest Things thread to see just how clueless people can be. Example: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12811-guests-say-the-darnest-things/page-59#entry519386

I bet more then half of these aren't even true. And I'm not talking about roughness I'm talking about the accident as well. And what are the more clueless people going to do if they do assume it's the same ride? Start more horrible rumors?

Nobody died on Son of Beast, however I think someone did on one of the coasters currently operating at KI.

Although perhaps not "technically"

Like technically people don't die in Disney pools from drowning, they die at the hospital, off of park property.

A person died after riding Firehawk back in 2011

Nobody died on Son of Beast, however I think someone did on one of the coasters currently operating at KI.

Like technically people don't die in Disney pools from drowning, they die at the hospital, off of park property.

People were hurt - and not just a cut or bump that goes away with time. There are KIC members who were injured on Son and they live with pain every day of their lives. They keep kicking themselves for not reporting it, but with all the stuff going on with that POS at the time, they figured no one would listen to them - just people looking to get a settlement from a court case. I pray to God you never get an injury from an amusement ride (or in my case, a Ford product). To have to live with pain the rest of your life is pure hell. Has Hank driven a Ford lately? No!

• Like 3

I can only imagine how many injuries people suffered and didn't report from that S.O.B. I know someone who visits a chiropractor frequently since there last ride but pride kept them from speaking up. I think the average person just feels hopeless in many cases. What's your lawyer going to do against theirs! Unless your taken off the premises in an ambulance, its not even worth the fight 99% of the time. Ride at your own risk my friends!

• Like 2

Yes someone died after Firehawk but I believe the death was not induced by the ride. I think the person had heart problems?
  • Like 1

IMG_3507_zps0505bc85.jpg

We have a name of a construction company! According to a Google search, it is a local company located in Mason that does not appear to have a website or Facebook page. I was hoping to look through a list of projects on their website for clues, but no dice.

Yes someone died after Firehawk but I believe the death was not induced by the ride. I think the person had heart problems?

Yes. And the death occurred in 2009, not 2011.

• Like 4