Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

I could be way off about this, but the more I read about the history of the name "Banshee", I just find it hard to believe this will be the name of KI's new coaster. I know CF supposedly trademarked the name again, but if CP already dropped it as the original name for Mantis because of its negative connotations, why would they decide to try it for our coaster when the same possibility for negative connotations might come up again? They had to destroy a lot of merchandise that had already been produced with the Banshee logo. Are they wanting to risk that expense again? (And just because it was trademarked again doesn't necessarily mean it's for KI's new coaster. There are other parks in the chain.) Plus, Dorney Park adopted the original Banshee logo for Steel Force.

Original Banshee logo: http://images.cloud.worthpoint.com/wpimages/images/images1/1/0508/04/1_5fec2fc7f629dedad53f4d3399693769.jpg

Compare to current Steel Force logo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Steel_Force_(Logo).JPG

I wonder if the reason Cedar Fair dropped the name Banshee in 1996 is because of it already being used by Holiday World. Holiday World's Banshee ride was operating at that time anyways, right? So maybe Cedar Fair wanted to avoid a lawsuit by them, like with Dorney Park changing their impulse coaster from Voodoo to Possessed because Six Flags had Voodoo trademarked for a ride in one of their own parks.

So now that Holiday World's Banshee is gone, Cedar Fair can trademark it for their own. But this is just a speculation on my part.

• Like 2

Here's another thought: Is it possible the name "Banshee" has been trademarked for a Haunt attraction, and not necessarily the new coaster? I mean, Don did say the old SOB station was going to be used for a future Haunt attraction, didn't he?

EDIT: Removed Jayblazer's quote. Edited initial post to more clearly express my thought.

This has been talked about many times but not for a while. The whole dropped it because of negative public response was rumor.

Or at least many have said, also there have been lots of rides named Banshee even Holiday world "perhapse the worlds most family friendly" park had a ride named Banshee. I personally think it is an awesome name for a coaster, but I really don't care what they name it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was public backlash that caused them to drop the name. I just meant there was concern for how the public might perceive the name.

EDIT: Okay, here's another thought. Is it possible the name "Banshee" has been trademarked for a Haunt attraction, and not necessarily the new coaster? I mean, Don did say the old SOB station was going to be used for a future Haunt attraction, didn't he?

You didn't imply it and upon reading it again I edited my post.

This has been talked about many times but not for a while. The whole dropped it because of negative public response was rumor.

Or at least many have said, also there have been lots of rides named Banshee even Holiday world "perhapse the worlds most family friendly" park had a ride named Banshee. I personally think it is an awesome name for a coaster, but I really don't care what they name it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was public backlash that caused them to drop the name. I just meant there was concern for how the public might perceive the name.

EDIT: Okay, here's another thought. Is it possible the name "Banshee" has been trademarked for a Haunt attraction, and not necessarily the new coaster? I mean, Don did say the old SOB station was going to be used for a future Haunt attraction, didn't he?

You didn't imply it and upon reading it again I edited my post.

I edited my initial post to more clearly express my thought. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

The Banshee withdrawal at Cedar Point has been discussed at length several times previously in this thread. Rather than repeat, for perhaps the fifth time here, the apparent reasons for it, which were just alluded to by the ever insightful John Peck (plus a potential high level internal Sandusky objection at the last moment), I will note that among the categories for which the recent registration was sought (also previously discussed at length here) was rides.

Note that to register and retain a mark, it must be in use...

• Like 4

Here's another thought: Is it possible the name "Banshee" has been trademarked for a Haunt attraction, and not necessarily the new coaster? I mean, Don did say the old SOB station was going to be used for a future Haunt attraction, didn't he?

EDIT: Removed Jayblazer's quote. Edited initial post to more clearly express my thought.

This was mentioned far back, but I don't think they trademark HH names. I could be wrong but that was my understanding.

Hello guys and gals.

This is my first post as I just registered earlier today. Although I have been "lurking' for a while now. I have enjoyed the many thoughts on this subject as well as many others.

I am a former season pass holder (1996 or so) who likes the thrill of riding as well as the thrill of the build up in the line waiting as well as the speculation on a new ride. The destruction of SOB and thoughts of a new coaster brought me back to KI last September for the first time in 4-5 years.

Here is my speculation/idea/hope of what is going into the former SOB area---A big steel coaster that hugs the terrain and goes through a valley or two as well as partially goes into a wooded area kinda like a 21st century version of a certain coaster on the other end of the park and it's name will be---Steel Beast.

Now, I may be way off base with my idea due to various reasons---Banshee trademarked, KI's supposed distancing themselves from anything with a possibility of reminding someone of SOB's debacle etc... But that is all well and good and part of the fun of a new ride/attraction brings,so speculate on I wll pop in occasionally with my 2 cents but mostly will enjoy the speculation.

Later,

Mark

• Like 7

I keep reading the word "FUN"...which, as someone pointed out to me earlier, is Cedar Fair's initials on the NYSE. I also keep seeing "diversion". The stock market is known for going up and down, like a rollercoaster. Sometimes it even dives really low.

So I'm guessing this coaster will obviously go up and down, but could also dive really low at points. Perhaps it will dive into an underground tunnel...or the "underworld".

"Everything old is new again". Could it be that we're getting an old name for a new coaster? Will this maybe be a return of the King Cobra name, or The Bat, only resurrected into a bigger and more powerful version of its former self?

Isn't a Banshee a Screaming Demon?

No, not really. A Banshee is simply a legendary female spirit that wails when someone is about to die. It doesn't necessarily imply the spirit is a demon.

Banshees wail before someone's death? I did not know that thanks for sharing. This comment immediately made me think of the "B&M Roar" as the coaster rolls along the track. How fitting would that name be for a B&M Coaster!?!?

Joncars05, who is probably overthinking this one.

• Like 2

The Banshee withdrawal at Cedar Point has been discussed at length several times previously in this thread. Rather than repeat, for perhaps the fifth time here, the apparent reasons for it, which were just alluded to by the ever insightful John Peck (plus a potential high level internal Sandusky objection at the last moment), I will note that among the categories for which the recent registration was sought (also previously discussed at length here) was rides.

But will they retain it? Perhaps it's "in use" right now internally as a working title, but they intend to pick (or have picked) a different name to be the actual name of the ride, and the Banshee trademark will be dropped after the announcement when it ceases to be in use.

In other words, it may just be an elaborate diversion.

• Like 2

So at what point would they start producing merchandise for the new ride? I know for fashion it is about a year before the selling season that companies start buying merchandise. Could we find a clue that way? I wonder what company they source for their souvenirs?

Just trying to think outside of the box to try and get hints.

Sorry, Terp. I'm just throwing my thoughts out there. I'm also looking at what this news article says: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=uhRDAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2KwMAAAAIBAJ&dq=Cedar Point announces Banshee&pg=2974%2C2972906

I've looked through the history of John Peck's posts here at KIC, and I didn't see anything where he mentioned the reasons for CP's decision to relinquish the Banshee name for Mantis. Maybe you could post a link for me so I can read his thoughts about it. Thanks!

In use is defined as being actually used in interstate commerce, not just thinking about it.

Would that mean there are already manufacturers producing merchandise for the new coaster? Otherwise, I have to agree with jcgoble3 - I don't see where it's being used in interstate commerce.

EDIT: Dieselwilkey already touched on this in his post while I was typing my response. Sorry 'bout that.

Never mind.

Well, the post I see by John Peck says absolutely nothing about the reason why CP dropped the Banshee name for Mantis. Apparently I'm blind.

Sorry for apparently annoying you. I was just trying to ask an honest question. I won't bother you anymore.

Sorry for the double post.

I keep reading the word "FUN"...which, as someone pointed out to me earlier, is Cedar Fair's initials on the NYSE. I also keep seeing "diversion". The stock market is known for going up and down, like a rollercoaster. Sometimes it even dives really low.
So I'm guessing this coaster will obviously go up and down, but could also dive really low at points. Perhaps it will dive into an underground tunnel...or the "underworld".

"Everything old is new again". Could it be that we're getting an old name for a new coaster? Will this maybe be a return of the King Cobra name, or The Bat, only resurrected into a bigger and more powerful version of its former self?

Isn't a Banshee a Screaming Demon?

No, not really. A Banshee is simply a legendary female spirit that wails when someone is about to die. It doesn't necessarily imply the spirit is a demon.

Banshees wail before someone's death? I did not know that thanks for sharing. This comment immediately made me think of the "B&M Roar" as the coaster rolls along the track. How fitting would that name be for a B&M Coaster!?!?

Joncars05, who is probably overthinking this one.

I don't think you're overthinking it at all. I also thought about the "B&M roar" as part of the theming for the coaster, if they name it Banshee.

I'm not annoyed, nor bothered. It just amazes me to repeat again and again the same thing, only to have to do it again. Mysteriously, Mr. Peck's insightful post of last night seems to have evaporated.

The public story was one of public outcry. It is far more likely that there were trademark issues (see Holiday World for evidence the mark was in use) or with queasiness by one or more highly placed Sandusky regime members, or their relative(s).

• Like 1

I wonder if the reason Cedar Fair dropped the name Banshee in 1996 is because of it already being used by Holiday World. Holiday World's Banshee ride was operating at that time anyways, right? So maybe Cedar Fair wanted to avoid a lawsuit by them, like with Dorney Park changing their impulse coaster from Voodoo to Possessed because Six Flags had Voodoo trademarked for a ride in one of their own parks.

So now that Holiday World's Banshee is gone, Cedar Fair can trademark it for their own. But this is just a speculation on my part.

Ah..I was wrong. It wasn't John Peck.

It was THE_BEASTmaster! :)

• Like 2

I just watched a POV of Hydra and Kumba. Now, if they turn out to be sit down loopers (Still in the Invert camp here!) I would love a jo-jo roll or something cool like that right out of the station! With Kumba I would love the terrain enteractment that it does, and would like that for our soon-to-be whatever.

If it's an Invert... can we still have a cool inversion out of the station... pwease!

• Like 5